“Good Service, Nice Amenities” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #20 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Mobile, Alabama
“Good Service, Nice Amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2008

The Magnolia is a nicely designed hotel. The historic building (a defunct Houston newspaper was here) is beautifully maintained, and we stayed here because a friend said it was a nice hotel with bigger than average rooms. He was right on all counts. We got a standard king room, and at 420 square feet, it was more than adequate. We ran into the manager in the elevator, and he seemed very interested in how our stay was going. We saw him again at the evening reception, when he came by to say hello.

THE LIBRARY: This room is open to relax/kick back, read a book, or check your email. Yes, this is where you'll find a couple of computers with internet access. It was my favorite room in the hotel. Lots of old books line the bookshelves, and the room is clearly available for conferences.

THE BILLIARD ROOM: I've never been to a hotel with a pool table. It's a separate room next to the bar, and it's a terrific touch. No cost to play.

MILK AND COOKIES BUFFET: This was actually a bit of a dsappointment. The build-up at the hotel's website made me think there'd be a cookie chef or something, and warm, freshly bakeed cookies (not that they made that claim... they did no such thing). No such luck. The cookies were good, but they were cool and sitting on the buffet with three kinds of milk. The "buffet" is next to the bar; it just looked like no big deal. If I owned the hotel, I'd try to make this feature a bit more interesting.

SERVICE: A little bit of good and a little bit of not so good. The manager, as I mentioned, was terrific and seemed genuinely interested in our comfort. The staff was hit or miss. We had a terrific waitress on Sunday night during the complimentary drinks hour. She recommended a good restaurant (Ninfa's... fantastic!), she called the hotel's car service on our behalf, and she was paying attention The next night, we had another waitress and she was completely indifferent -- almost seemed annoyed that we were getting free drinks. (Maybe she thought it would affect her tip.... it didn't, and that's no excuse anyway). Same problem with the valets. A couple were fantastic, while a couple of others seemed disinterested, annoyed.

PARKING: It's $24/day for valet. That's about average, and there is some effort required to avoid it. You may not want the hassle. The garage behind the hotel charges $6/day, but there are no in and out privileges. Even worse, the cost only buys you a parking space until 6AM the next morning. In otther words, you'd have to get out of bed at 6AM(!!), walk a block to the garage to pay $6 more, put the ticket on your car, and then go back to the hotel. You can park FREE across the street from 6PM - 7AM and all day on Sunday. My advice: park on the street at night, and move into the garage at 7AM. if you're leaving by 9AM, just feed the meter for 2 hours... it's $1.50/hour.

POOL/FITNESS CENTER: They have a pool on the roof, which is open 7AM-11AM. Although we didn't use it, the hotel says the fitness center is open 24/7.

INTERNET ACCESS: I love that the hotel doesn't charge for internet. Not only is free access available in the room, you can also use a public computer in the Library. Convenient!

RESTAURANT: None! They have room service, though, and the menu looks pretty good. We never tried it, though. There is a little coffee shop at the front of the hotel.

BREAKFAST: It's free, but it's small. You can get some breads, fruits, and cereal. They charge $9.95 for the bacon and eggs on the hot bar. The coffee is from Starbucks, both at breakfast and in the room.

FREE SHUTTLE: The hotel has an SUV to give people free rides around the downtown area. This was terrific -- efficient and fast. They gave us rides to Ninfa's and back (for a terrific dinner) and to the Toyota Center.

SUMMARY: The Magnolia Houston needs to make service a bit more consistently great! But overall, it's got a lot of amenties that other hotels don't. The rooms are big and comfortable (great beds!), and for downtown Houston, it's a good value. The location is pretty terrific, as well.

• Liked — Unique Design and Features
  • Disliked — Occasionally (Rarely) Indifferent Service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GoingEverywhere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
dallas, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2008

Just got back from a week stay there for work. I was very impressed with the hotel. It is modern and very attractive. Seems to be modeled after the modern look of W Hotels. The room was a king bed suite with a small kitchen and was a huge corner room away from the elevator. Had a very large walk in closet and seperate vanity and shower area. Room was spottless and quiet. Everything worked but the alarm clock, but I just used wake up calls. Didn't eat at the restaurant, but they have a complimentary happy hour and a cookies and milk thing late at night. Very nice workout facilities and rooftop pool and hot tub were very nice. I would highly recommend.

• Liked — Modern look, clean rooms, workout facilities.
  • Disliked — Expensive valet parking.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank rainer49
Superior, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2007

I was so unimpressed with this hotel, especially given the rates they charge. I travel to Houston almost weekly for work, and would never consider this hotel again.

Upon check in, I had to pay $24 for valet parking, and he was rude, spelled my name wrong, and told me that I could not call ahead for my car the next morning. I asked if there were other places to park, and he said no, yet I found out later that the lot behind the Magnolia is $6 or free (depending on when you park there) as were the multiple street spots (free 7-7 each day).

The room was nice, but the trays in the bathroom had been dropped, chipped and cracked, and they looked awful. At breakfast the next day, I had to ask multiple times for a spoon to eat my cerael, and finally gave up after 10 minutes since my breakfast had turned into mush and there were still no spoons. I just went out for breakfast after that. Also, they had not bussed any tables, and there was no place to sit - I had to finally move dirty dishes just to sit down.

Downstairs, I waited almost 25 minutes to get my car from valet (by comparision, the Courtyard down the street takes less than 5!), and the valet told me that I should have called ahead, which I had been told the night before I could not do. This time did not include the 3 times I tried to hand him my ticket, and he just ignored me, and finally said "yeah, its coming" (which it was not!). As a result, I was late for a client meeting, and the whole valet staff was just rude - I utilized the lot the next two nights, then had to argue with the staff at check out because the charged me for 3 nights instead of the 1 night I actually used them. For $24, I would have expected better service, especially since they just take them around the corner to the "free" lot.

The second night, I arrived into my room to find that the hotel had left me no washcloths at all in the bathroom, and the chipped bowls were still there. The same thing happened the third night as well - not sure what was up there. The room was not cleaned very well either.

The "express" check out was a joke, too. I waited in line for 10 minutes, and there were only 2 people in front of me, then had to aruge about the invalid charges.

I will never stay here again - I have paid far less for hotels in Houston, and had FAR BETTER SERVICE! This hotel has a long way to go. They tout free cocktails and milk/cookie bar, probably to hope you overlook their terrible service. They should focus on that, and also implement a frequent guest program. So, for the money, go to any number of other hotels within 2 blocks of this one, and skip the Magnolia entirely.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank kaley1kt
Weatherford, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2007

Nephews wedding~ Group rate. Suites spacious. Clean and comfortable. Rooftop pool and gym clean and maintained.
Staff courteous and helpfull. I left my dress belt at home, consierge aided me with yahooo directions to nearest mens store. Nice panoramic view of Houston. Central to downtown
facilities. Valet or park yourself, garage parking.

• Liked — Unique charater and furnishings
  • Disliked — pool could have been a wee bit larger
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank bozbird
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2007

Stayed here for my second trip to Houston (business) in a month - I had stayed at the Icon last time, and the Magnolia is much better value all around.

The good:

- Nice decor & atmosphere
- Good sized room (king sized bed with large desk area)
- Complete set of toiletries
- Toothbrush/shaver stand in the bathroom - that's a plus!
- Good continental breakfast time and loved the cookies & milk at night
- Good sized fitness facility - at least 8 cardio machines, free weights and a universal machine
- Great location for visiting downtown clients
- Free wired Internet in the room and wireless in the club area (where you have breakfast)

The not-so-good:

- The room's guide book is quite out of date. The cookies & milk are available 8-10 PM, but the book said 9-10 PM. It also indicates that printing costs at the business center is $1/page however it is actually free
- The bathroom tub could use a no-slip mat
- The shower head pressure was poor. The tub faucet itself was fine and had great pressure, so it must be something with the shower pipe itself

• Liked — Cookies & milk after dinner
  • Disliked — Bath tub & shower faucet need some attention
3 Thank kironb
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2007

I stayed here one night for a business trip. The check-in was smooth. I did not partake in it’s 8-10pm nightly chocolate cookie and milk bar on the 2nd floor, but it sounds interesting. When I got to my room, I noticed the desk chair was missing (strange!). I called down to let them know, and they managed to bring one in 30 minutes; a slight nuisance, but not a big deal. The room service food is mediocre. Stay away from the Club Sandwich and the Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing, but the Quesadillas (I had mine with chicken) was great. The continental breakfast is so-so (small variety of pastries, juices, and fruits). However, the starbucks coffee is a plus! At one point, there was some sort of false alarm fire drill (not sure what it was, but there was a fire truck and everybody was outside). I did not evacuate the building because I did not hear anything from inside my room, but when I went downstairs to check out,
nobody was around; everybody had evacuated the building. If you are worried about emergency situations, this may worry you. Wireless internet is free; New York Times every morning (mine was a little wet and had a rip in it, but you can grab one at the front desk where there is a stack of them); and here is the best part: they have a valet shuttle service that will take you anywhere in the nearby downtown area! I used this service twice, and found it was convenient,
and the drivers friendly! A bathrobe is provided, and the bathroom is big and luxurious. I had a king bed, and the bed was very comfortable.
You can hear any noise that comes from the hallway, but there wasn’t that much. Also, when you switch the temperature in the room from cold to warm, you will get a little bit of that burning smell. The bathtub had one small crack in it where the surface had chipped off. Overall, I would recommend this restaurant for all travelers: business
and pleasure!

• Liked — free shuttle service in downtown area
  • Disliked — desk chair missing in room
1 Thank DC_Traveler88
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2007

Stayed at the Magnolia when in town for the 2007 Quilt Festival. It's a pleasant 10 min walk to the George Brown Convention Centre - you are back in your room while everyone else is still waiting for the hotel shuttles! We got an awesome price through the hotel website and thought it excellent value what with the free breakfast, free happy hour and free milk & cookies! The staff were all very friendly and helpful, although the Magnolia Club restaurant service was very slow. The beds and bedding were very comfortable and the hotel quiet - could not hear any traffic noise at all. We (2 ladies) felt very safe in downtown Houston around the hotel at all times and walked everywhere. Had several good meals at Sambuca Jazz restaurant, which is a block away. Would not hesitate to stay there again

• Liked — quiet sophisticated atmosphere
  • Disliked — weird bathroom door that blocked the entrance to the toilet until you shuffled around it
3 Thank trubrit7