“Terrible! Terrible!”

Ranked #78 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Tustin, California
“Terrible! Terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

This hotel had problems before we got there. The person who answered the phone gave us wrong information, subtracted $10 from the actual valet price. Then, they gave our family(four people) a room for 2 people!They didn't do anything about it!Room service and the ONE restraunt have no vegetarian options, we are vegetarians. Then, we were woken up at 4 o'clock in the morning, by a very annoying recording for a fire, we walked ten floors down, and then we found out-a drunk lady pulled the fire alarm! Terrible! For an hour, the annoying fire recording rang, but then the Fire department came, one of the worst nights of my life! We checked out this morning. I WILL NEVER GO BACK!! If you're smart, don't go to the Sam Houston hotel!

Room Tip: Go to the Four Seasons, Royal Sonesta or Sheraton/Hilton!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lord H
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for the feedback and I apologize for the unfortunate circumstances surrounding your stay. I would love to get more specific information about your issues so that we can follow up internally to improve. Please email me at your convenience so that we can setup a time to speak.

nick.massad@thesamhoustonhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Turkish first
Shreveport, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Feb 10 Sewer smell detracts from beautiful room with Very comfortable bed. We have no complaints except for the smell. Very nice staff. The people on the street late at night are a little spooky. Make sure you use valet parking. Lots of great restaurants nearby.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Seisman
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and for your great feedback about the hotel and our wonderful staff. I apologize that we were working on plumbing repairs while you were here. Fortunately we're almost complete with the work, so your next visit should be perfect!

Please let us know when you're headed back to downtown Houston...there are some great events scheduled for the next few months as the weather warms up a bit! Perfect time to try more of the great restaurants and bars and parks close to the hotel!

Best,
Midlothian, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

The Sam Houston is a very nice place to go to do business or even to just hang out. I am not a huge fan of Houston and this hotel has made me happy about being here. Yeah... there used to be a sewerage smell but it is resolved. The hotel is more than 100 years old... give em a break. My favorite part of this place is Olena... one of the front desk agents. She is tremendously helpful and frankly she is a beautiful person. These folks made 25 copies of an 11 page document at the last minute... What more can I say?? My one complaint about The Sam is that I ordered eggs benedict and they were quit lemony and acidic. I love this place!

Room Tip: stay on the 10th floor facing west
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us recently and I'm very glad you enjoyed The Sam. I will ensure Olena and all of our staff reads your praises, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Please let us know when you plan your next trip to downtown Houston!

Warmest regards,

Norman, Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed at The Sam the 5th-8th of February 2014. I was in town for an expo at the convention center. The positives first: My heater didn't work and this was a very cold week in Houston, the repairman showed quickly and repaired it in under 15 minutes. Next, the staff was very friendly. However, the negatives definitely canceled out the positives! First, the hotel lobby smelled really badly of sewage. Once my heater was repaired, the stench of the sewage started radiating into my room. The next day, there was no escaping it, the foul odor filled the entire hotel. The next day even though I was gone from my room nearly the entire day, room service never came to my room. Next, since room service skipped my room I only had one towel, that I thought was a fresh towel until I unfolded it from the rack and saw what appeared to be feces smeared all over one corner. I took it to the front desk and all the clerk did was say he'd notify housekeeping of the problem. Lastly, housekeeping did clean my room the last day; however, they neglected to leave any clean towels. I typically blow off any small problems, we're all human and I don't expect things to be perfect but when you select a nice hotel, you expect few problems. I will definitely never stay at The Sam again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Toby17212
Toby,

Thank you so much for your feedback, and I sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations on your recent stay. The Sam has undergone renovations over the last year, and fortunately we are nearing the end of our work. However, in working on the building we have discovered many necessary plumbing repairs and are working with one of the city's best contractors to repair the issues. I'm sure that before your next trip to Houston we will have everything completed.

I'd like to invite you back for a complimentary stay on your next visit. Please contact me directly and I will personally assist you.

austin, texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

It smells. Real bad. Lobby. Hallways. Rooms okay.

Apparently, this issue is persisting. See previous reviews by others. Otherwise the hotel is very nice. The reviewer recommends calling ahead for information about the resolution of this problem.

• Stayed February 2014
Denver, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

The place smells like raw sewage, it's disgusting. The smell is strongest in the lobby & permeates the halls. It is not as strong in the room but still present. Based on the smell alone I would never stay here again. If you have reservations here cancel them. I can't believe it is legal to rent rooms that smell like sewage. Additionally the staff could not more apathetic, slow & rude. Maybe the sewage has gone to their heads.

• Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

The Sam Houston Hotel was so kind. We had 2 separate reservations because we decided at the last moment to go a day early. The made sure that we were able to stay in the same room, without having to check out and back in again. They also knew it was my birthday and they gave me a lovely gift! We really appreciated having the free car service. Even though we drove, it was great not to have to drive around the city and find a place to park for each place. They even picked us up after the opera. This will be our hotel every time we go to Houston.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple