“Love this place”

Ranked #61 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Love this place”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The Sam Houston is a very nice place to go to do business or even to just hang out. I am not a huge fan of Houston and this hotel has made me happy about being here. Yeah... there used to be a sewerage smell but it is resolved. The hotel is more than 100 years old... give em a break. My favorite part of this place is Olena... one of the front desk agents. She is tremendously helpful and frankly she is a beautiful person. These folks made 25 copies of an 11 page document at the last minute... What more can I say?? My one complaint about The Sam is that I ordered eggs benedict and they were quit lemony and acidic. I love this place!

Room Tip: stay on the 10th floor facing west
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thanks for staying with us recently and I'm very glad you enjoyed The Sam. I will ensure Olena and all of our staff reads your praises, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Please let us know when you plan your next trip to downtown Houston!

Warmest regards,

Nick Massad
nick.massad@thesamhoustonhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed at The Sam the 5th-8th of February 2014. I was in town for an expo at the convention center. The positives first: My heater didn't work and this was a very cold week in Houston, the repairman showed quickly and repaired it in under 15 minutes. Next, the staff was very friendly. However, the negatives definitely canceled out the positives! First, the hotel lobby smelled really badly of sewage. Once my heater was repaired, the stench of the sewage started radiating into my room. The next day, there was no escaping it, the foul odor filled the entire hotel. The next day even though I was gone from my room nearly the entire day, room service never came to my room. Next, since room service skipped my room I only had one towel, that I thought was a fresh towel until I unfolded it from the rack and saw what appeared to be feces smeared all over one corner. I took it to the front desk and all the clerk did was say he'd notify housekeeping of the problem. Lastly, housekeeping did clean my room the last day; however, they neglected to leave any clean towels. I typically blow off any small problems, we're all human and I don't expect things to be perfect but when you select a nice hotel, you expect few problems. I will definitely never stay at The Sam again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Toby17212
Toby,

Thank you so much for your feedback, and I sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations on your recent stay. The Sam has undergone renovations over the last year, and fortunately we are nearing the end of our work. However, in working on the building we have discovered many necessary plumbing repairs and are working with one of the city's best contractors to repair the issues. I'm sure that before your next trip to Houston we will have everything completed.

I'd like to invite you back for a complimentary stay on your next visit. Please contact me directly and I will personally assist you.

Nick Massad
nick.massad@thesamhoustonhotel.com
austin, texas
Reviewed February 8, 2014

It smells. Real bad. Lobby. Hallways. Rooms okay.

Apparently, this issue is persisting. See previous reviews by others. Otherwise the hotel is very nice. The reviewer recommends calling ahead for information about the resolution of this problem.

• Stayed February 2014
Denver, CO
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The place smells like raw sewage, it's disgusting. The smell is strongest in the lobby & permeates the halls. It is not as strong in the room but still present. Based on the smell alone I would never stay here again. If you have reservations here cancel them. I can't believe it is legal to rent rooms that smell like sewage. Additionally the staff could not more apathetic, slow & rude. Maybe the sewage has gone to their heads.

• Stayed February 2014
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The Sam Houston Hotel was so kind. We had 2 separate reservations because we decided at the last moment to go a day early. The made sure that we were able to stay in the same room, without having to check out and back in again. They also knew it was my birthday and they gave me a lovely gift! We really appreciated having the free car service. Even though we drove, it was great not to have to drive around the city and find a place to park for each place. They even picked us up after the opera. This will be our hotel every time we go to Houston.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2014

It took quite a while for me to decide which hotel to stay at in Houston. Eventually it was a choice between the Crowne Plaza and the Sam Houston. I chose the Houston because some of the most recent reviews for the Plaza were quite negative at the time.

There are a lot of good things to say about this hotel. All the staff I encountered were very helpful with all requests. I arrived on Sunday around 2pm. Later that evening I was informed that there were no shops nearby to go and buy a cold drink so they gave me a complementary soda which I really appreciated. The rooms were nice and comfy and the free Internet was a reasonable speed, unlike a vast number of other hotels I have visited in the past.

Sadly there were a couple of negatives. There was often a rank smell as you enter the lobby. I was informed that this was due to old piping, which also affected other buildings in the area and that the hotel was having quite an issue getting it fixed. There are no washing machines on site for personal use. There is a laundry service provided but it costs several dollars per item of clothing.

The are some nice restaurants in the area if the "17" restaurant is beyond your budget. So the location is good as well if you like inexpensive to moderately priced meals.

So I rate this hotel 4 out of 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Roger B
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed here for a night this past weekend ... convenient location (car service is a plus), great ambiance, and friendly staff. We had a suite which was spacious with a sitting area and to full baths! The beds are very comfortable. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple