“Very good experience and value”

The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #66 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Overall very good value for the money. In Houston for a quick business trip - I had a rental car and had a little trouble finding the hotel at night in this somewhat seedy part of downtown. The employees are engaged, attentive and worthy of a 5 state hotel. High quality (albeit small) breakfast buffet. What prevents me from rating this as a 5 star are a few little things: (1) no hand soap in the bathroom - I had to call down and then it was immediately brought up; (2) the sewer smell in the lobby; (3) valet parking ticket requested that I text them to get my car, but that sstem was not working; (4) minibar or ability to purchase snacks / candy in the lobby would be nice - this is not a neighborhood in which I would feel comfortable wandering outside and looking for an open convenience store after dark. Would stay there again for the right price, but all things being equal, will look for a hotel in a better neighborhood.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PaxMundi

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Great value. Hotel seems recently remodeled/decorated. Had a nice room w/view of Minute Maid Park & downtown. Very clean modern style room with great linens. Package included a bucket of beer (any), appetizer (any) & free valet. Hotel staff was great also. Only suggestion I have is to add a mini fridge & microwave to the room as there are few restaurants open after an evening game.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed at the Sam Houston Sept 21st weekend. Cute hotel in a area of town that needs much improvment, but thats fine. My first impression was the ever lasting smell of sewer in the Lobby, this smell never left. Other than that, the hotel is very nice and the staff are quite nice, the rooms are nicely renovated. My only real problem came with a 'mysterious' charge of $13 on my credit card bill, separate from my regular room charges. The Hotel insisted that they had 'no record of this charge' and to proceed with this with my credit card company. My CC company told me that the hotel should have some record of the charge and that they should be able to resolve the issue. I forwarded this info back to the hotel, and have still to hear any type of reply to my problem.
I have occasionally seen hotels submit 'fake' charges to friends of mine in an attempt to 'sneak' some extra dollars out of their visit. This can easily slide through the cracks when travelling on business. I guess I should assume that The Sam Houston Hotel has done this to me.
My stay was good overall, but this petty fake charge is unacceptable!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Paul,

Thank you for staying with us recently! I'm so very sorry for the mysterious charge on your credit card. Please email me directly at nick.massad@thesamhoustonhotel.com and I will personally handle for you. Glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your email!

Nick Massad III

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Front desk personnel were very accomidating and great to work with. Valet parking service was good every time we ask for our auto. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable. Lighting in bath was not great and breakfast was slow even though there were only three tables with people. Will stay at this hotel again.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

May partner and I celebrated our 10th anniversary at this hotel and the service and hospitality was amazing. From the minute we pulled up to the hotel and were greeted by the bell and valet staff to being taken care of at the front desk was fantastic. The hotel is pet friendly and the entire staff treated our two English Bulldogs like they were royalty from having treats for them waiting in the room to asking if the dogs needed to be walked. The service was top notch! The extras with flowers in the room made it very specialThe hotel is very gay friendly and truly made our anniversary very memorable....Make sure you speak with the concierge, Julia....she is a true professional and wonderful to work with.

1  Thank FrankieC52
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Convenient for an event in the city. The front desk personnel were very accommodating, and the room was clean and comfortable, with a great view of Minute Maid Park. I left something behind, and the desk clerk was extremely helpful in finding it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I had purchased a Living Social coupon to use at the Sam. I called the toll free number to make reservation and was told "we have no rooms". I checked the website and there WERE rooms available. I called the hotel and was told the same thing even when I explained the website showed YES. I called back later and a gentleman named Steve cleared the confusion and got the reservation set up. Thank you STEVE. It is valet parking only so expect 30 dollars a night for that. After you step over the old "SAM HOUSTON HOTEL" in tile, all the historic hotel is gone. Ultra modern desk and lobby. The one time mural depicting history of the area is a light wall that changes colors. Bottom floor has a bar and restaurant. Our "view" was the other side of the hotel and the parking lot so nothing special. The one window in the room has a draw shade that blocks NO LIGHT. Basically, you sleep in light and get ready for the sun... no way to block it. Also, no privacy with the shade either. Bathroom was ultra modern with an oversized shower, sink had raised bowl, lots of glass. Bed was great, different kinds of pillows gave you a nice choice. It was our anniversary and we were surprised with a treat from Julia. Thanks, JULIA!! We ordered room service the next morning for breakfast. I would recommend going out for breakfast. I told the desk to tell the chef to read up on Paula Deen's breakfast recipes. It would help a lot. Check out and car valet was quick. Keep your eyes open... homeless people hang around and beg for money and it was scary to try to get in the car quickly.

Room Tip: Ask which is better for a view of Houston.