The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton
$242
$133
TributePortfolio
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks(Houston)(Great Value!)
$88
$139
$105
galahotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewshomeless peoplefront deskboutique feelminute maid parkboutique hotelvalet servicebars and restaurantsvalet parkingastros gamedowntown areastay downtownwalking distancetwo blocksdiamond memberbeautiful hotelconvention centerfree shuttle
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Convenient for an event in the city. The front desk personnel were very accommodating, and the room was clean and comfortable, with a great view of Minute Maid Park. I left something behind, and the desk clerk was extremely helpful in finding it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Ashley B, Public Relations Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to send such a considerate review of your recent stay at The Sam Houston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton. We look forward to providing you the same level of luxury service during your next visit.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I had purchased a Living Social coupon to use at the Sam. I called the toll free number to make reservation and was told "we have no rooms". I checked the website and there WERE rooms available. I called the hotel and was told the same thing even when I explained the website showed YES. I called back later and a gentleman named Steve cleared the confusion and got the reservation set up. Thank you STEVE. It is valet parking only so expect 30 dollars a night for that. After you step over the old "SAM HOUSTON HOTEL" in tile, all the historic hotel is gone. Ultra modern desk and lobby. The one time mural depicting history of the area is a light wall that changes colors. Bottom floor has a bar and restaurant. Our "view" was the other side of the hotel and the parking lot so nothing special. The one window in the room has a draw shade that blocks NO LIGHT. Basically, you sleep in light and get ready for the sun... no way to block it. Also, no privacy with the shade either. Bathroom was ultra modern with an oversized shower, sink had raised bowl, lots of glass. Bed was great, different kinds of pillows gave you a nice choice. It was our anniversary and we were surprised with a treat from Julia. Thanks, JULIA!! We ordered room service the next morning for breakfast. I would recommend going out for breakfast. I told the desk to tell the chef to read up on Paula Deen's breakfast recipes. It would help a lot. Check out and car valet was quick. Keep your eyes open... homeless people hang around and beg for money and it was scary to try to get in the car quickly.

Room Tip: Ask which is better for a view of Houston.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank txfrmgrl
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us recently! I apologize for the availability issue when you made your reservation - our Living Social promotion has been extremely popular and we have a limited number of rooms devoted to it each night. Steve and Julia will be glad to receive your praises! And we'll pass along your suggestion to the Chef!

thanks again!
Nick Massad

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked the Astros package based on location, but we don't ever want to stay at another hotel in Houston thanks to the staff, especially the concierge, Julia. When I called to confirm my reservation, Julia answered and went out of her way to ask if we were celebrating anything special (we were celebrating our anniversary), could the hotel send us some kind of congratulatory amenity, our arrival time, could she help get us tickets and information on the ballpark (she knew everything), and she answered all of my questions as if she was truly excited to welcome us! When we arrived, the front desk clerk, Jeremy, who checked us in was very friendly too. We were given an upgraded room, which already had our champagne and a handwritten note from Julia and the tickets to the game. The package also included a bucket of beer and appetizer. Adam and Cynthia, the bartenders, were friendly too. We ordered the oysters, which were outstanding. Breakfast the next morning was a little chaotic. Maybe the server was new, but she seemed a little overwhelmed and service was a little slow, but we weren't in a rush, so it was okay. The accommodations were quite comfortable; valet was easy and the price was typical for downtown; and the service made this hotel outshine all others downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for Julia, and she will make sure everything is perfect
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Shelly,

Thank you for your kind words and especially for recognizing our great staff! I'm so pleased you enjoyed your visit to Downtown Houston. Let us know when you plan to return - lots of other fun activities, e.g. theater district, museums, live music, more sports, dining, bars, we have everything! look forward to seeing you again soon!

Go Astros!!
Nick

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed at the Sam Houston this past weekend (Friday through Monday). The rooms and lobby are very modern (industrial colors with a stark flare to offset). The staff are extremely friendly, and there was literally no noise (we had a sixth floor room).

The area was "okay" as there were some homeless people around, but it's within walking/driving distance to most of downtown. Another negative that didn't bother me was a smell as you walk in the entryway of the hotel. I think it's a drainage problem that the city needs to handle. The hotel is definitely doing everything it can to present itself well.

Bravo to the staff and management! Shame on the City of Houston.

Room Tip: Book as a package w/flight and the hotel will be less than $100 per night. Great Value.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for staying with us recently! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to earning an 'A' on your next visit to downtown Houston!

Nick Massad

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was in town for work and my office is close to the Astros ballpark. So I was looking for a place to stay that close but not too expensive.This hotel was awesome! One of the best spots in downtown Houston.
-I had a view of the courthouse and watched the sun come up :)
-The bed was so comfortable!
-The shower was super hot fast.
-Free Wi-Fi connection and it was a good speed.
-The only complaint is you have to valet park and it was a bit pricey.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!