“Nice boutique hotel”

Ranked #63 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Nice boutique hotel”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed last night at this hotel, nice chic boutique hotel - clean rooms and located downtown Houston. Easy to get taxi, friendly staff and affordable room. Nice to know there are options in Houston to stay in these sort of establishments.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The hotel was clean, the staff friendly, patient and helpful, the were rooms plenty big enough for me. I think I'd stay there again if I was on a budget. The bar is OK too. Downside? Not much really. One of the local churches has an outreach centre for the homeless which is great for people who need help. I made a small contribution to their fund. The sad thing is these people are sleeping rough on the pavements on the other side of the street to the hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Marshall, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel is an old hotel which has been updated to a botique hotel. The room was wonderful - a big, comfortable bed, lovely view of downtown Houston, and a superb European-syle bathroom. The only drawback at all was a noisy wedding celebration that didn't end until 11 pm. The hotel appears to be a favorite wedding venue. Other than that, it was restful and quite convenient to the downtown arts venues. They have a courtesy car that took us to and from the concert which was greatly appreciated. They have valet parking and it's pricey, but they waived the total valet charge when we complained about the late night party noise. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
JonesvilleBag, so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay. We recently made the many of the room improvements that you mentioned, and are very proud that you liked them so much! I personally apologize for the noise disturbance you experienced - we are a favorite for wedding and other social celebrations, but we could have taken better care to prevent you from being disturbed. If you feel the matter needs further attention please contact me directly. Should your plans bring you back to downtown Houston, I would be happy to personally assist and ensure an even better experience than you had recently. Thank you again!

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nicely located near downtown and walking distance to a good selection of restaurants

The rooms were a bit small, but very clean and with very comfortable bedding.

The valet parking is very pricey. The regular room rates are very pricey too. But we had travelzoo vouchers which afforded us a good discount along with breakfast vouchers.

• Stayed May 2013
Omar, thanks for staying at The Sam earlier this month! I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel, but I'm also glad you were able to experience some of the great restaurants downtown has to offer. Would love to share notes! Regarding parking, valet parking is our only option, but I trust the service was friendly and quick. Check out our website the next time you're staying downtown, we almost always have great package rates and other discounts for which you may qualify.

Thanks again!
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I originally booked one night to stay here and I was so impressed that I decided to stay another night.
It's newly remodeled all the details are done with perfection including the accoutrements in the bathroom lotions and soaps.
From my Bell cap Mario to the front desk Martin and even my room service gal Amber... all of the staff made you feel like they were there to help you with a smile and a "no problem".
The beds sheets and pillows are first rate and comfortable.
They also exceeded my expectations when I got room service they said it would be about 20 minutes and It got here in 10 way to go guys
Thanks guys I'll be back

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tom, thanks for the recent stay, and sounds like you met some of my favorite people in the hotel - Mario, Martin and Amber bring 100% every day, and will be very excited to read your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Drop me a note the next time you travel to Houston.

Katy, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Recently my wife and I had the privilege of staying at the SHH. I set up the night as a chance to celebrate my wife's first Mothers Day. I wanted to have a night alone, with out our daughter.
I contacted the concierge about some thoughts I had for the room and she exceeded any and all expectations. The staff is wonderful and professional. Not just the staff inside the Hotel but even the valets are fantastic. The room was amazing, clean and comfortable. All major amenities were there as well as perks like 2 flat screen TV's and free wifi.
I highly recommend the SHH to anyone. They definitely gave us a night we won't soon forget.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Darren, thank you for your recent visit and glad we were able to help you take care of Mother's Day! When she is ready to pay you back on Father's Day, let us know and we'll blow it out for both of you :) Lots of fun recommendations our Concierge can provide, no matter what you like - live music, bar scene, arts, history, food snobery, whatever. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

beach city
Reviewed May 11, 2013

great service and great rooms ..very close to clubs and resteraunts on main street..short walk away from party`short trip to Sambuca resteraunt great food and great music on weekends..still typing to get all 200 characters so i can post this review i really hate having to put 200 hjfgkhjf in to post review

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple