“Tons of cool beers!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Austin
“Tons of cool beers!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great place for a drink. Not an obnoxious bar scene, this is more for friends who genuinely enjoy a good cold beer and want a fun comfortable place to drink. Low key but so fun. Very knowledgeable bar staff. Can guide you to a great beer. Food and small bites are also available.

Visited March 2013

• Korean first
Bryan, Texas
“Fun place”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Let me start this review by saying that we went to the Hay Merchant on a Friday night to celebrate my 44th birthday. We were older than everyone in the place by a good 20 years so I might pick a different place next time-based on that factor alone. But otherwise, we really enjoyed ourselves. We tried a couple of different types of beer each and sampled a few items on the menu. The bartender tried to be helpful making recommendations but the place was so packed that mostly the bartenders (we set at the bar) were just order takers. So we were on our own choosing from the huge selection of draft beers and unusual items on the menu. We did pretty well. Every beer we tried was great and we shared the mussels, the jambalaya, the pig ears and the Vietnamese chicken wings. Very different bar food-all good. If this place had a little older crowd-it would definitely be a regular stop for us when we were in Houston.

• Visited March 2013
Houston, Texas
“More of a restaurant with beer”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This bar is a little different since they have an eclectic menu coupled with a pretty good beer list. The food really is top notch, and I would DEFINITELY suggest the pork sliders! The only complaint I have is they don'd have my type of beer. The bar has mostly IPA's and wheatier beers which is good for most of the crowd I travel with just not me. Also beware of random groups of frats and sororities that can totally ruin the vibe in the place on Saturday nights. Good thing is they usually buy a few shots and peace out.

• Visited February 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Super Bowl Party Place”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had a group of 26 there for Super Bowl. They were super accommodating and we had a great time. Its beer only, but that was okay as they have at least 50. The food menu is a little eccentric for a bar, but we all found things to order.

The best part was when the lights went out at the Superdome, they had a special $1 dark beer until the lights came back on. Creative.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank jgregb
Houston, TX
“Not your usual bar”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been to Hay Merchant to just have drinks, I have been there to just have dinner, and you can be in several places in between with wonderful bar snacks or a dinner with lots of drinks. This is the best place to try beer. Bud lite drinkers can stay the hell home because this is not for you! If I had to guess I would say there are about 80 or so draft choices. Staff is quite helpful in explaining the choices, and you can taste a beer if you are unsure. Great place to expand your beer palate. Food is also great, ranging from comfort food to something more designer. Staff is also helpful in pairing beer with your food.

• Visited December 2012