“Amazing Sushi”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2016

A little on the pricey side, but wont leave you dissapointed. Go for the happy hour and save a few bucks but still enjoy the greatest sushi in Houston. Don't forget to end the meal with the for foie gras.

Date of visit: June 2016
Write a reviewReviews (844)

Reviewed August 18, 2016

We had previously dined at Uchi in Austin on a trip and were thrilled to find it was in Houston when we were recently in town. Since our visit at the Austin location was one of the best meals we've ever had, we were a little hesitant to try it at a different location. We were not in any way disappointed. We did go to enjoy the food and the experience, part of which for us is letting the very experienced server help us with choices. After a little discussion about our likes and dislikes, our server, Sohan, picked several plates for us. They come out one by one and they tell you what it is and how you should eat it to enjoy the maximum flavor.
Once again Uchi is one of the best meals we have ever enjoyed. The freshness is just amazing. I rarely eat raw fish, except for here. It is perfection. The flounder sashimi and tuna+watermelon were just 2 of the amazing raw choices we tried. We both agreed the gyutoro (shortrib) was the best beef we have ever tasted. Don’t forget the veggies—they are also amazing. We had the brussels sprouts and the carrots--like no veggies you've tasted before.
Eat slowly and savor all the flavors. We tried so many items we never would have chosen for ourselves and they were all fantastic.This was a special night out and we spent about $200 for 2 of us, including a bottle of wine. Not out of normal range for fine dining and SO much better than most places we've been. You can go here to eat more casually and affordably though--several people were enjoying smaller plates and drinks at the bar and tables. If we lived here we'd be doing that a lot.

Reviewed August 17, 2016 via mobile

OMG!!!!!! I was definitely at a loss for words to adequately describe exactly what my taste buds were going through (party, party, party)! I was not a sushi eater since I had a bad experience my first time until I discovered Uchi! I absolutely love this place! Every single dish the bartender/staff/other diners suggested were amazing!!!! The staff was awesome, sociable and very helpful. They made us feel so welcomed and honestly they made the experience that much better! It was worth every penny!! I am going to continue to go eat there until I've tried every dish they serve! And let's not start with dessert... It was delicious and so creative!

Reviewed August 14, 2016

But it was very good. But be prepared to pay big prices depending on what you order. I knew this going in, but my husband apparently didn't listen. We went with his daughter and her significant other for their bday : they LOVE Uchi. They ordered the Chefs choice consisting of about 7-10 (I think) sampling of different sashimi, sushi, etc. My hubby went in as a 1/3 for which they charged a bit extra. I ordered 2 rolls. I'm afraid I'm not a connoisseur: they say Uchi is the best because of its freshness...I can't tell it from other good sushi places in Houston. Maybe I'm not educated enough. It was all very good, but really expensive: 212$ for the chefs choice for 2. Beer was cheaper than other places. I say all this because even though reservations were made in 30 days in advance to assure a table, and the wait staff, hostesses, valet parking folks were extremely professional and friendly, and though the food was good, I have trouble paying roughly $475 for a meal , drinks, plus 20% tip for 4. Atmosphere a bit noisy, but every place in Houston seems to be noisy. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate.....

1  Thank Beverly L
Reviewed August 13, 2016 via mobile

My #1 Houston restaurant and there are some great ones. Every person who comes to town on business always requests to go and are never disappointed. Don't expect Japanese and don't even look at the menu. Most of the waiters are excellen, sit back and let them take over.

Date of visit: July 2016