“Flawless, if pricey”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2016

A superb dining experience, this is not for the faint of heart. Forget about sushi for a month and focus on everything else a Japanese chef working in Texas has to offer! The dishes innovative and the ingredients fresh, the plating always on point.

Unfortunately, the service is often pretentious, reciting the litany of ingredients like it's common knowledge and it's no big deal. A little smile, a slow down of the pace, and some sort of love of the work, would go a long way... Particularly at $100 a person.

So overall, great food, beautiful design, but pricey and borderline rude.

Date of visit: June 2016
Write a reviewReviews (844)

Reviewed July 13, 2016

Where to start...get to the the receptionist and they say ok we have your table for 4. No, it's for 2. It's my friend's birthday celebration and I told the reservationist this and nothing was acknowledged. Service was slow and supplemental waiters clumsy at times. The food was ok but nothing great, So, I deem this place to get knocked down from this lofty perch.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed July 13, 2016

I actually really like this restaurant, but I, along with many others, note the prices are very high and it's difficult to get a seat, even during off peak times, if you don't have a reservation (and your whole party has to be there). I have been there by myself, not eat a ton and only had 2 drinks and paid over $100.

There are a few things on the menu that are awesome and unique to Uchi. The beef sushi pieces absolutely melt in your mouth. I also love the brussel sprouts. The service has also always been top notch every time I've been there.

When it comes to their sushi, they do have some rolls that are a great combo of flavors you won't find elsewhere, but there are others that haven't blown me away.

So my advice is if there is something on the menu you can get elsewhere, go elsewhere. If it's unique to Uchi, give it a try.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed July 11, 2016

I must say, I was surprised that Houston had such a top notch sushi restaurant! This place was wonderful! Everything I ate was better than the last course. My only complaint was that they completely screwed up our private dining request and only gave us half of the room instead of the whole room. That said - the head of catering sent us a nice gift of popcorn for our troubles. We will be back.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed July 10, 2016

My wife and I had the 10-course chef tasting menu and really enjoyed all the dishes. Each dish was explained as it was brought out. Lori, our waitress, was exceptional with providing service and ensuring we were well taken care of. When we finished a plate, it was usually removed in seconds by Lori or one of the other wait staff. We had went for our 32nd anniversary and had an outstanding evening. The whole meal was very tasteful and ended with a fantastic dessert. The reputation of Uchi Houston is well-deserved.

Date of visit: July 2016