“best restaurant in Houston”
Review of Uchi

Uchi
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 8,552 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I ate at Uchi several times, and in my opinion it has the best food and best service in Houston. Add on top of it the hip atmosphere and the nice, modern decor, and the place truly stands out. The sushi is excellent - try the daily specials; pricy, but totally worth it. But I found the cooked fare to be even more impressive - modern and innovative Japanese cuisine at its best. The treat does not come cheap, but there are many mediocre restaurants in Houston that are more expensive. So for the quality you get, it is actually good value.

1  Thank Carpatifara

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I went to Uchi alone for dinner as I had high recommendations from a friend who also visits Houston regularly and who took clients to this restaurant. The hostess was lovely and sat me at the sushi bar right away. However, the waitress was pretentious and condescending in every way. She asked if I had ever been to Uchi, which I replied that this was my first time. When I inquired about an item on the menu she went into an dramatic exaggeration of her duties and the sushi chefs duties and who I should approach depending on what I was looking at on the menu. I thought, I said this was my first time at Uchi, not my first time at a restaurant! It was over the top snooty and arrogant. I tried to figure out if she was merely dumb or if this was an act or was she intending to be rude. I gave up trying to figure it out and ignored it. She also only recommended the most expensive things on the menu and if I didn't order it she was obviously offended. Her descriptions of the sake choices were ridiculous so I just ordered one randomly and it was very good. They also gave a good portion for price. The food was good, but not exceptional. In particular, the first sashimi dish I received was excellent, but subsequent dishes diminished in flavor with the last being supremely dull.
The food and the sake were overall good to satisfactory, but even if it had been great, there is no food in the world worth being treated poorly, rudely, or pretentiously by the staff.

1  Thank dalvera
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I'm not a sushi expert and I've never been in Japan but something I really like doing is eating at high ranked restaurants every time I travel to a new place and Uchi was my top option for Houston. The food was fantastic. I wanted to try the sushi for which I had different sushis. My favorite were the Freshwater Eel sushi and the Japanese sea bass sushi. To be honest, Uchi exceeded my expectations and really surprised me.

2  Thank imanolchavez
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Very busy, MUST book restaurant with great staff that explain dishes very well. Dishes get served in a very haphazard way but if you expect this and are ok with it you will enjoy many wonderful, well prepared treats. This is not a quiet restaurant, but always full with wait line. Great place to order lots of different dishes to share and try whilst chatting and being with friends/family etc. Mixed pricing on dishes, lots of dishes a few dollars each and other more expensive ones, sake good prices too.

1  Thank spangle1
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

The perfect place to enjoy the best fish flavors. This resto is unique not only for the food but also for the service level.

3  Thank Chuffre