“Great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Uchi

Uchi
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 8,149 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wichita Falls, Texas
“Great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Loved this place everything was full of flavor, love share plate style of dining as I like to try a little of everything. The Walu Walu and the Uchiviche are so damn good you could request them as your last meal on this earth. Fun drinking Sake out of a wooden box as well. Nice seating area outside to have a drink before your table is ready.

• Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hobe Sound, Florida
“Not Traditional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I lived and worked in Tokyo for several years in the 1990s and I am more of a traditionalist than what this place has to offer. However, the dishes are very creatively done and my 3 business partners all thought the offerings were delicious. For me they had interesting flavors, but I'd rather have a piece of raw fish on top of sticky rice. Of course they had sushi on the menu, however, I was disappointed in the selection. They had neither Toro (they had salmon, but not tuna) nor did they have Uni. The waitstaff was knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and prompt. The saki was to my liking and prices were on the high side for their specialty dishes, but not so, for the sushi.

The very good rating I gave is due to the enthusiasm my partners expressed and since I was expecting a traditional sushi establishment with an excellent selection of fish, perhaps my own expectations weren't correctly calibrated.

Because of its uniqueness I would return and would forewarn any guests what they are getting into, as I do the readers of this review.

• Visited February 2014
Crookston, Minnesota
“Great service and great food too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived it was a 45 min wait but totally worth it. They gave us the option to sit at the wine bar or outside, we opted for outside BC it was a nice night and they had heaters. While we waited they serves us drink and we ordered the shishuno grilled peppers which were tossed in a kimchi garlic sauce which was amazing. Once we were seated at the sushi bar we were introduced to our personal sushi chef, Tie. He was very friendly and a great chef. Before we ordered we were given hot towels and than a small bowl of lemon ginger sorbet to cleanse the pallet before starting with our sushi. We started with with miso which we had with shiitake mushrooms and it was delish. We than had the pitch fork,shagg,hotate and Cali rolls and they were all great. Not only is the food great but the service was first class...there is a reason why Uchi is number 1 in Houston, they know what great service looks like.

Texas
“Uchi is top notch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I love this restaurant. We eat here whenever we can. It's consistently amazing food, unlike any we have ever tried. I highly recommend checking it out if you are in Houston. Make sure to make reservations though as it's always packed.

• Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“One of the best Sushi restaurants in the Nation.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I read in several different credible restaurant review reads that this is one of the best in the Nation. Ok....everyone says that, right? When we arrived the valet area was being used by several different establishments. The Valet asked where were we going, I told him Uchi. He said its about an hour and a half wait but don't leave it will be worth it. Now I'm slightly more curious.

There is an outside patio for those who are waiting. The atmosphere is what you would expect from a top restaurant, modern contemporary décor. A fast hour plus and carafe of warm saki later we were seated at the sushi bar. From there the only thought I had was, if this is one of the tops in the Nation I have to visit the restaurants that beat this place out because it is UNBELIVABLE.

First DO NOT insult the sushi here by asking for soy or fresh wasabi...it is not needed. It will dilute the flavor of each tasting. The appetizers of char-grilled edamame and Shishito Peppers were simple but very different. The Chef's five, Mustang Roll, Akaushi, Hama Chili were some of the most layered flavors I have ever tasted in ANY restaurant not just sushi. I ended the meal what the Chef described as a little tasted of heaven and he was not wrong in his description: Foie Gras Nigiri. This was the most delicate dish of the night.

Our dessert was a Peanut Butter Semifreddo, just order it I cant really explain it because I all I could really think about was the Foie Gras Nigiri. Overall, I have eaten at Nobu in San Diego and the top in Oahu...this place blows them both out. I need to know what restaurants are better because this in my mind is the best Sushi I have EVER eaten.

• Visited February 2014