“Uchi is like a wonderful dream”
Review of Uchi

Uchi
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 8,287 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Siem Reap, Siemreab-Otdar Meanchey, Cambodia
“Uchi is like a wonderful dream”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

In my opinion, Uchi is the best restaurant in Houston!!! They continue to amaze on every visit with their dishes, presentation, service and kindness. There are many excellent sushi places in Houston such as Kata Robata but Uchi is on another level.
Be sure to try the Uchiviche, Machi cure, Avocado sushi, Nasu and the cauliflower tempura or anything on the menu and be amazed. The deserts, which I usually never order at other restaurants, are incredible, so save room. I recently ate at Jiro's in Tokyo and it was really great, but I would rather have a meal at Uchi, that's what I think about this restaurant. The Austin location, the original is also totally amazing! I have been in Asia traveling for the last two months and can't wait to eat and see the folks at Uchi tonight.
Thank You Tyson Cole and Uchi for being the Greatest!
Anthony The Wandering Traveler.

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Spokane, Washington
“Wow!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Uchi was fantstic. The only thing that was better than the service was the food. We let the waitress order for us and that turned out to be an excellent decision. Every dish she selected for us was excellent. If your looking for an excellent sushi resaurant when in Houston - go to Ushi. One reccomendation, its popular and busy for a reason, I highly suggest making reservations in advance.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Blaine F
Phoenix, Arizona
“Holy Cow!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Wow! This place is amazing. It is an old Mexican restaurant turned into a superstar Japanese restaurant. There were 4 of us total. We let the waiter order for us. It turned out to be quite eclectic - nigiri (albacore, mackerel, bonito), foie gras, Wagyu beef, futomaki, fried milk, and lemon gelato.

Amazing technique in the preparation and wonderful flavors. From subtle to bold, it was all covered. The service was fantastic as well.

Bring your wallet and be prepared to wait. The place is expensive (worth every penny) and pakced.

Good luck!

• Visited April 2013
Houston, Texas
“Believe the hype!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

When Uchi was set to open, there was so much hype. I didn't want to believe it. I get kind of tired of the obsession with Austin, especially because Houston has so much more to offer. As an Austin import, I was ready and willing to hate Uchi.

I can't. It is every bit as amazing as I didn't want it to be. The service is impeccable- and I worked in the restaurant industry for over a decade. The food is amazing. I will say, though, don't just go for sushi. The best thing to do- and what we've done each visit- is let the server pick for you. They'll bring you one dish at time, with each one being enough for 2-4 people to enjoy 1-3 bites. They'll explain everything to you. I swear, you'll feel like a judge on Top Chef! Tell them how many "courses" you'd like to start with (5 is a good number) and when they are ready to drop the last one, they'll ask if you'd like more. I have never left hungry and were it not for some really exceptional sake, the bill wouldn't have been more than a night out with fajitas at most decent TexMex spots in town.

I HIGHLY recommend mentioning to the server that you would like to try the brussel sprouts. They'll turn even life long haters in to spout fans! Also, the Walu Walu- it's a meaty fish cooked in a savory broth that almost tastes feels like you are eating a steak.

The menu is just too complex and if you try to order for yourself, you're sure to miss something exceptional!

• Visited January 2013
Lebanon, Ore
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went out of my way to try some Texas BBQ here. I wasn't disappointed. Huge pile of great food for a VERY reasonable price. I will surely go back if/when I'm in the Houston area.

Visited March 2013