“Treat Yourself” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Uchi

Uchi
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 7,899 Restaurants in Houston
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Olathe, Kansas
“Treat Yourself”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This place is so good and the food so deliciously inventive, I'm not sure I'm qualified to write a review, though I will give it my best shot.
On a visit to Houston my host made reservations at Uchi. Having dined at the restaurant before, my dining companions said the best way to order would be to let the server decide what to bring. What an experience (sorry, exclamation mark required)!
The food orgy began. I think we had just a little of everything, both hot and cold. We started with Brussels sprouts - outside of dessert, this was the one request we made of the server. For me, these were unexpected at a sushi restaurant, but a completely delicious way to start the meal. From there it was a whirlwind of food, probably 11 or 12 dishes, a couple of cold items and then a hot item, then back to cold. I believe our hot items were duck, pork belly, tuna and wagyu beef - all cooked perfectly. The one item I didn't "get" was the salad, which came near the end of our meal - I didn't love the dressing or the timing. The salad was but a blip on an otherwise perfect meal.
Next was dessert. The three of us couldn't decide on dessert, so we decided to order one-each and share. They were all delicious and inventive - fried milk, lemon sorbet and the dessert of the night, which I believe was chocolate (something mousse-like) with orange. The fried milk was my choice and it did not disappoint. Little crunchy pillows that, when pierced, had a sweet, creamy center. So, so unbelievably good.
Our server was spot-on with her timing and her suggestions. The rest of the staff was on pointe. The décor was warm and inviting (though we did sit under an ac vent, and whenever it fired up it was a bit cold for late November).
Will I go back? Already looking at booking a flight so we can bring my husband along next time. Can't wait!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars

Houston
“Worth the wait, all the hype about this place sounds right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

First time in Uchi, we waited for an hour (didnt make reservation) but our experience was just great. Started with the edimame and some free samples of their fried cauliflower.. All good!

We tried the 6 course meal, pricy but really delicious. The way the food was presented, how they mixed and matched the ingredients was just brilliant. Its like im a judge in iron chef and being blown away with each time food are brought to us. The service was great and interior of the place is classy.

If you are a foodie, this gotta make it in your list.

“Must go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The food is delicious!! Make a reservation it's full most of the time, but is worth it, we order a lot of things and everything was great

Houston, Texas
“best sushi restaurant in Houston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I kept hearing how great this restaurant was but I hadn't tried it until last week. It was incredible. Tip: First time visitors should try the basic tasting. It gives you a good feel for some of their most popular items. You won't believe the incredible taste of the foods they blend together. You won't even want to use the soy sauce at your table. You need to get a reservation a couple weeks in advance even on week nights though.

• Visited November 2012
Houston, Texas
“Wow!!! Off the Charts Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This place is a MUST try for anyone who likes Sushi or just eating amazing fabulous food. The atmosphere is really cool, modern yet warm. We ate at the bar and it was such an arousal of the senses. The food was amazing, watching the chefs do the work was super cool and it was just one of the best nights at a restaurant that we've had since our first trip to Gary Dankos in San Francisco which was also off the charts good in every way.

Visited April 2012