“FANTASTIC service and excellent food!”
Review of Katsuya - CLOSED

Katsuya
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Westheimer
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I visited Katsuya on Saturday evening. We had a 730pm reservation; we arrived at 725 and were promptly seated at a four top near the bar. We ordered the crab and mozarella tempura for an appetizzer - it was DELICIOUS. My wife had several girly cocktails which she loved - I had a couple of Japanese beers. For dinner she ordered a sushi plate and I had striped bass. I am not a huge sushi fan, but I had a couple of bites of hers (crab roll and salmon roll) and it was yummy. The striped bass was perfectly seasoned and cooked. I don't always get this impression when watching the staff, but at Katsuya they were all working really hard. There was a difficult table next to us; the staff was working overtime to try to accomodate them. Our waiter John was intuitive, prompt, and friendly. The atmosphere is very hip with "expected" techno-ish (believe one track was from Hotel Costes album) type of music - perfect!! We sat in the lounge for a few minutes after our meal; the staff asked if we wanted drinks -- were politely declined. They brought water over without me asking for it - very nice. Despite the high price tag, highly recommended and would go back!

1  Thank JBizzle76

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I've visited the sister restaurant in Brentwood, CA and I have to say they are very similar. Both are scenes, the food is excellent, and the prices will bring down the house. First, the service was fantastic. We had an 8pm reservation for 6 and we all arrived at 7:45pm since this was a new place in Houston it would be packed and we'd be in for a wait. To our pleasant surprise we were seated immediately. Our server was quick with recommendations on the menu and worked with us as we ordered many things on the menu. The creamy rock shrimp is unbelievable as it is crispy, tangy and flavorful. All the sushi rolls we tried tasted fresh and had tons of flavor. For Houston we were very happy with the sushi after trying other places where the sushi doesn't taste fresh. The big downside to the night is the cost, this is not a place to go on a budget. There doesn't seem to be a way around this as there are no budget items on the menu. For a special occasion I think it's well worth it, for just a Saturday night you might be pushing it.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I have had several parties at Katsuya now and every time I let the staff have their choice of what to bring. They never disappoint. We always have a great array if incredible and diverse dishes that are as artistic as they are delicious. Fab atmosphere and great crowd. Lots of eye candy.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

We went to Katsuya and had 6 people in our party. Everyone was disappointed. The bill came to $450 and we were all hungry when leaving. The portions are exceedingly small. I thought there are much better sushi restaurants in Houston for half the price. The bar area was dead. We were the only people in there before our reservation at 7:30. We walked across the street to Eddie V's and their bar was packed and lively. I would definitely not go back to Katsuya.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I went last Wednesday with my wife and i am going back tonight. Simply the best option for me in Houston. This place offers great food, great service, a great bar area and location. We had the Katsuya Roll wich was really really good and the Tuna Sashimi with jalapeño which i strongly recommend (and i eat sashimi almost at every restaurant that offers it). Our waiter was really good and gave the best recommendations. The Crunchy Spicy tuna was recommended in the media and for me it was an average appetizer. Simply a place of category and makes you feel like being in a Vegas Restaurant.