“Great movie, great martini..who could ask for more”

AMC Dine-in Houston 8
Ranked #17 of 106 Fun & Games in Houston
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great location, great taste in movies, great bar drinks. Food was okay, but you can take it into the movie. Got to meet Robert Redford there.

All reviews
"high end"
"sundance"
in 51 reviews

Reviewed May 7, 2013

So I have mixed feelings about Sundance. I really liked the idea behind Angelika (the former inhabitants of the space) and used to go regularly. I was excited to see that Sundance was taking over the closed down space. I actually go to Sundance quite regularly because it is downtown and I can walk to it. The theater overall is nice, but in my opinion still needs lots of fixes. For example, you pay an "amenity fee". This is supposed to cover better service, more convenience (reserved seating), no commercials, and better facilities. I can't see how this does much of any of that. They do clearly show commercials before the movies, they are just still slides and they advertise buying more overpriced food or drink in the lobby, or going online to Robert Redford's clothing line. Boo. Don't tell me I pay a higher price to avoid commercials and then show me ads instead. As far as the better service, I guess that is all in how you view it. Does the staff know or care more about the films or the customers over River Oaks Theater, for example? No. Maybe they are an upgrade over Edwards, but I have never seen an Edwards employee stand at the bottom of a theater and watch 2/3 of a movie while his walkie talkie goes off 4 TIMES during the movie. I have seen this kind of activity at Sundance. You blast us with "please silence your cell phones" but then the employees are the biggest offenders. The nicer facilities are kind of a joke. Yes, the theater is nice and the chairs / tables built in are a slight upgrade. But if I lower the lights and put up some art it doesn't make up for the bathrooms, which are a joke. They have actually had a single roll of Brawny sitting on the counter for paper towels twice when I went. Not my idea of a "better facilities" that they advertise. The ditigal layouts from where you select your seats are not accurate either. You might think you are selecting a seat in the middle, based on the image, and then find out you are sitting off to the side when you actually get to your seat. Again none of this is terrible, but if you charge higher prices and advertise yourself as "premium", then being average, or even slightly above, doesn't really cut it in my book. Maybe I just have fond memories, but in my mind Angelika was much more of a premium theater than Sundance. Angelika didn't make it, I believe because they were trying to do this during a time that people were not downtown for things like movies and let their facilities slip. Sundance is using those same facilities with the same level of service with food that is nowhere near as good and then charging more for the privilege.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

this used to be angelica movie theater, which was an old & unattended theater, that they finally remodeled it to become the Sun dance. This theater might be overpriced as some people say, but It is absolutely worth it. This place is very clean from the inside with polished crowds away from those teenagers & punk people u see in other theaters. It offers very comfortable seating and great snacks / drinks options. it should be great for date nights too.

All in all , great experience.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The crowd here is older and rarely do we see kids. They have good food items, full bar, specialty coffee and the regular movie theatre concession items. Parking is reimbursed from the theatre district parking garage. We love this place.