“Perfect!”

Motel 6 Houston - Hobby TX
Ranked #381 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We stayed here earlier this week for an early flight out of Hobby. The price was certainly right, and everything else was just fine.

The staff at the front desk were pleasant, professional, and helpful. The lobby was clean and attractive, ditto for our room. The room was quite large (we had a single king), and the sort of modern minimalist decor was nice.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet (we were on the first floor in the back, near the pool).

We spent an enjoyable half hour or so by the pool relaxing before dinner -- birds singing in a nearby tree and just generally pleasant. I mean, yes, you are on a highway next to an airport in a big city, but really, all things considered, it was a nice way to end our trip to Texas.

The only slightly shaky thing was (as others have mentioned) the wifi. We were given a password at the front desk and it worked fine to connect the first time. But then we got dropped from the network. I just tried connecting on a different motel6 network (there are several) and that worked for a while, til eventually we got dropped from that. The bottom line is that it was an extremely minor inconvenience that was easy to work around. No big deal at all. I could always get back on, and we could stay on for relatively long stretches of time.

We were sort of tired of driving, and the restaurant choices nearby are pretty slim. So we just ordered pizza from a local restaurant that had its flyer in the lobby. It arrived promptly and was hot, fresh, and good -- perfect dinner for us.

Anyway, I've had good experiences at Motel 6 in lots of different locations, and this one was among the better ones. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Houston - Hobby TX

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I am a truck driver who delivers new trucks, Rv"s and buses. My storage is down the street from this place, so I have stayed a number of times. I stay in many motels around the country. Generally, I like Motel 6, because many are simple, practical and for the most part clean. This is a typical renovated Motel 6. Not bad, not great, but very economical when no events are in town. When I first stayed, I realized that the internet was horrible. I found a solution by asking for a room upstairs, closest to the lobby, and generally I had uninterrupted WiFi.
Well, it is April fifteenth and I have been doing my taxes for two days. I was put in a room after moving from another. When I took the room downstairs closest to the lobby, I had WiFi for a little bit. On my third day, however, I told manager or clerk that I absolutely had to have internet, as today is the fifteenth. Although, I had a lot of stuff, I moved it to room upstairs. The guy only gave me 205 though, and it was still aways down the hall. There was no internet. when I questioned why he couldn't have given me room 101 through 104 closer to the lobby, he replied, "those aren't rooms."
Well, I have stayed in those closets before?
Why I am writing this is because both when I first booked room and today, I was treated as an idiot. .
"Well gee, mine works it must be a problem with your laptop, tablet and phone,"

I finally had him refund my third day, and I walked across the street to the Econo Lodge. They were very accommodating, pleasant, and courteous. The room is extremely nice with real solid wood furniture, a solid desk, ample Wifi, and very clean pleasant.
If you need Wifi are if you don't like to be treated as an idiot, the few dollars more is well spent.

Room Tip: If you need WiFi, there might be one room out of the hundreds, Read the reviews!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank hs_ap2014
Reviewed April 4, 2014

So I stayed at Motel 6, with trepidation. But after four nights, to my own surprise, I'm giving this one high marks. Within the category of low-price motels, I rate them as excellent.

My qualms about budget motels in general are that (A) the rooms are dark and dingy; (B) the staff is unmotivated and/or incompetent, (C) the noise is aggravating, and (D) they're located in areas that are inconvenient, unsafe and/or unsavory. At this Motel 6, it was the exact opposite on all counts. (Though I have mild caveats on C and D).

(A) First, the front desk staff is excellent. Of the five I met, two are Indian and two are Nepalese, but all five were competent and professional. Unreserved kudos to them all.

(B) I don't know how management finds, trains and supervises their cleaning staff, but my room was kept immaculate during my entire stay, and all of the common areas were also spotlessly clean. In addition, my room was very well lit, quite bright at night when you turn on all the lights. Unreserved kudos to this hotel on both cleanliness and lighting.

(C) Because I was basically cooling my heels waiting for a consulate to issue a visa, I spent a fair amount of time in the room, and it was very, very quiet. Part of this was location: two blocks away from I-45 (so you don't get freeway traffic noise) and with rooms set away from, rather than alongside, Airport Blvd (which doesn't really have much traffic late at night when the airport is idle). Had I only stayed three days, I'd give the hotel unreserved kudos on having quiet rooms. Based on my actual experience I do give them kudos, but with one reservation. The last day, someone in an adjacent room coughed and I heard him loud and clear. So, maybe the walls ARE thin, and I was just lucky. Perhaps if the folks in the next room had been cranking up the TV volume every evening, my experience would have been quite different.

(D) The hotel row area from Hobby Airport to I-45 is reasonably safe. There are certainly safer neighborhoods in the metro area (e.g. The Woodlands) but there are also parts of town which are downright dangerous. For personal security, I'd rate this motel's location about a 7 on a scale with 10 being the safest. Nor do I consider this hotel's neighborhood to be unsavory. True, the motel's next-door neighbor is a strip club, but an awfully discrete one. Plain facade, no garish flashing lights, no shills trying to talk passers-by into coming inside, or showgirls standing in open doorways. At night you see a line of cars parked outside, not constant traffic in and out. No indication of any unruly behavior. Even at night the club was quiet as a mouse; the club building must be well sound-proofed (perhaps as a requirement for licensing?). Some clubs, and bars, are serious nuisances, but this one seems pretty inoffensive. But if you would find being next to any strip club distasteful, you might want to stay elsewhere.

Some additional observations: The TV looked nice, but I never turned it on. I can't comment on the pool (never even saw it), the wireless (never used it) or the breakfast (never eat it, didn't notice anything but coffee in the lobby). The rooms are functional, but definitely budget. My bed was fine for sleeping and had clean sheets and blankets, but was hardly luxurious. The room had hangers on projecting rods rather than a closet; and open shelves on the wall rather than a chest of drawers, Soap was provided (and replaced daily), but no other toiletries. Water pressure and temperature were fine. My room's basic colors were in-your-face white and orange. Since I'm not from Texas, this color scheme did nothing for me. If you're a die-hard Longhorn fan, you definitely will love the decor. If you're a die-hard Texas Aggie fan, you may want to call the motel before booking: maybe they've got some rooms painted white and maroon.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Vincent M
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

So awful! Next door to a strip club, the clerk is behind a glass wall at the front desk. Room was cold and institutional and smelled like stale smoke. There was no breakfast as stated in their advertising. Way over priced for the conditions.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

The hotel had a nice modern look. The hardwood floors are awesome the decoration is colorful. The staff was nice also. There is wi fi and a pool for the summer. The location is convenient to pleanty of shopping, especially Wal-Mart. This location is a place I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This is an older property that has been converted to an updated Motel 6. It's much bigger, so there are always rooms available. The shuttle is dependable and quick (Note that it only operates 7am-11pm). It has something of a depressing feel to it, but I must admit the room and bath were clean, and the bed comfortable. There was morning coffee in the lobby. Great deal for the price of a motel 5 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This motel has a rather 'budget feel' in the communal areas, however the staff were extremely friendly and the rooms themselves are very large with mostly modern fittings (despite feeling a little cheap). Breakfast is not provided in contrast to other similar chains at a similar price point (although this was clearly stated when booking). WIFI was a little hit and miss.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends