“A truly great place to stay”

Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center
Ranked #338 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My family and I have had to come to Houston every three months for the last 6 years for my son's medical care. We have stayed in many places in Houston, but we have stayed at the Carefree Inn for the last 4 years because it truly is a great place to stay. It may not be as plush as some as the other hotels, but I really like the "Texas" decor. It is always very clean and the community kitchen is a really nice feature. Plus they have everything that you could need inside the room. The rooms have little fridges, coffee makers, microwaves, etc....and all for a very reasonable price. And, I absolutely love the staff! They will go out of their way to provide whatever assistance that they can. They have been truly amazing. Traveling for medical treatments can be very stressful, but they make the experience a lot easier. I absolutely, hands down recommend Carefree Inn Medical Center in Houston!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lana S
Latehours, Manager at Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Madam:

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable and that you had other options in lodging in the area.

We are very delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, as we strive to give each of our customers a superior experience. We hope to see you soon!

Orpha P.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

This place caters to cancer patients visiting the Houston Medical Center. It provides excellent shuttle service to and from all the major treatment centers such as MD Anderson and Baylor College of Medicine. You WILL NOT miss a treatment or an appointment. The prices are better than anywhere else, and the staff is simply some of the most friendly and empathetic people I have ever met.

There is a community kitchen that has everything you need to to make a great meal. I must emphasize community. It was great to see patients interact with care givers (care givers also receive a discount and stay there often.) as they prepare breakfast.

This is not the Hilton or the Marriott. These chains would never divert or make an emergency shuttle run for an individual patient late for a treatment. It may not be a fancy place, but they really do care. For this, I will never forget them. I will also stay there in a heartbeat, when I return to Houston.

2  Thank Robert P

Dear Sir/Madam:

We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with u,s as we strive to cater to our customers individually and give them a superior experience with every stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Orpha P.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is one of those old motor lodges - 2 story with balcony along the 2nd floor. No elevator- just steep steps up both ends and one in the middle. The balcony was in poor repair, concrete cracked everywhere, patched in places and holding water puddles when it rained. The pluses: the room was very clean, large and I saw no insects. There was a coffeepot, refrigerator, blowdryer and microwave. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The negatives: the hotel is OLD!! The furniture is OLD!!! The beds were very uncomfortable. The blow dryer was the wall-mount kind but was not mounted to the wall. There was a coffeepot, but no coffee or condiments. Because this was once a motor hotel, the doors to the rooms are accessible by any Joe-blow off the street. I was a nervous wreck staying there - especially after some one knocked on my door at 9:30 at night one of the nights I was there (no peep hole in the door), and another night a man yelled right outside my door just after midnight. Needless to say, I had a little trouble sleeping there.

Room Tip: I would not stay here alone. Ever.
1  Thank givingas
Latehours, General Manager at Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and that you had other options in lodging in the area.

We are glad you found our staff to be satisfying, but know we can do better, if you visit again, we promise, that you will find our property much improved, as we are currently planning a refresh and property improvement.

Fehmida

Reviewed February 25, 2013

THis is the last place in the world you will want to stay! The physical appearance is, is horrific. The building needs repair every where you look. The place is laid out and built in a style popular right after World War Two with outside entrances to each room. The door to my room would always stick and you had to use your foot to kick it open.
The rooms have not been updated and all the furniture is old and tired. The place looks like they furnished it with used furniture they bought fifty years ago.They have a coffee maker in the room but when you wake up in the morning and you want a cup of coffee there is no coffee. THEY DONT KEEP THE COFFEE IN THE ROOM. You have to get dressed, go outside, go downstairs to the office, beat on the door till someone comes and unlocks it and then they will give you some coffee. The sheets feel like they were 200 count cotton that have been washed five thousand times. I prepaid for this room for three nights but I would rather loose my money than stay another night here.

Dear Sir

We sincerely apologize for the conditional issue you faced during your brief experience with us. If you wish to speak more about your experience, we would certainly like to hear from you, so we can better target the problem areas and rooms. Coffee and coffee is kept in office for hygenic reason. If a guest request we bring to their room.

Fehmida

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was the second time we stayed here and we love it. The staff is always so friendly and it's super easy to get to. Is it fancy? No. But the beds are comfy, there's a fridge and a microwave. It's close to everything and the price is unbeatable. It's close to inside the loop and everything else is super expensive. We don't go there because we want to hang out in the room all day. We use it to sleep and we always get a good night's sleep. If you're expecting something like the Hyatt, then stay there. Clean rooms, nice staff, great rates and close to museums, awesome restaurants and the medical center. We'll stay there every time we're in town.

Room Tip: We always ask for a room upstairs and very close to the front.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you want to just stay to do your visits to Med Center this is a good stay. The rooms smelly and very poorly equiped. The staff are very nice and they have free shuttle to Med Center in certain times.I stayed 3 nights there and I prefer just come to sleep in the room. I don't think you can tolerate the room more than the night stay. If you are on budget go for it, if you can afford more go to a real 3 stars hotel.Some of the reviewers are exaggerating some.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have stayed here a few days and have enjoyed it tremendously. All the staff are very courteous and I have all the amenities I need. The rooms are very clean and the front office has a very welcoming atmosphere. I would highly recommend staying here.

Eugene W.