“Friendly Service, Bang for the Buck, Convenient Location”

Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center
Ranked #324 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Martlton, NJ
“Friendly Service, Bang for the Buck, Convenient Location”
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I recently visited Houston for the NCAA final four. The hotel was less than a mile walk to Relient Stadium and located right off the 610 Loop which circles Houston. The staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasent. The rooms were always clean and service prompt and thorough. Bathroom needed soap dishes. Complimentary breakfast a big plus for budget price.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I personally did not stay at this hotel but my brother and sister in law were in Houston for cancer tests over at MD Anderson. I was able to work with Denise at the Customer Service desk to allow me to pay for my brother's expenses. Denise understood that my family and I are going through a tough emotional time and I do not know how many times she offered her support and any assistance she could. My brother told me that the hotel, though it is not the Beverly Hills Hilton, is very adequate, quite comfortable, and meets their every need. I am over 1000 miles away, but I take comfort knowing that at least my brother has a comfortable, quiet and caring environment in which to lay his head after the tests. Thank you, Denise and staff, for everything you have done for me and my family...it will never be forgotten.

1 Thank tmessier
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Everyone at the Inn is exceptional. The rooms are cleaned daily even if you are staying for more than one night. Anything you need you get. I can't say enough about this place. We have stayed there three times now, once for four days. The shuttle is a blessing when it comes to the Medical Center.

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Like many other posters, we stayed here while going to M.D. Anderson.We have stayed at more upscale places, but never ones any cleaner or with a nicer staff. A big thank you to Denise and Jesus for making us feel valued as customers. We rented a car at the airport so mobility was not an issue for us. We did not use the free shuttle as we drove to the medical center and used the vallet parking. To us, the $15/day fee was well worth it to have the freedom to leave at our own schedule. Then again, we were only there for four days. If we were there longer, we most definately would have used the shuttle service. Again, nothing fancy, but super clean and a very caring staff.

Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2011

My wife and I have stayed at this Inn for one night. Had chosen this Inn because of its location close to my daughter's house and access to HWY to get to the airport the next day. Looks like a motel of the 1950 with no-mid life refit yet. The single window was blocked by a wall unit for TV, fridge and microwave oven. No daylight except for 12 inches at the top. Dozens of paint coats. Appeared clean. Bed not hooked to headboard and rolls away when sitting ion the bed to watch TV whose quality of the image is poor. Was allocated a room on the noisiest side of the building (HWY610, etc. but was successful to get another room. Someone else had been allocated the same room and attempted to unlock the door of our room at 1 h AM. Cheap mattress on account of its structure: springs are connected to each other and cannot espouse the body contour and lead to lower back discomfort. I could not fall asleep from 1 AM to 7 AM. Cigarette smoke smell was intense in the room. Continental breakfast was minimal. No bread for toasts, orange juice over diluted. PAM can was empty when attempted to oil the waffle cooker.
I realized that we stayed on account of our busy social schedule in the evening and tiredness after a 4-hour trip prior to the arrival to the Inn. NOT RECOMMENDED.
J.M. Matteau

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jean Marie M
, General Manager at Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
We, at CareFree Inn take pride in our hotel, its staff, and its services. Our hotel is approximately 65 years old and underwent a renovation in late 2010. The guest kitchen has been open since Late October 2010, and has been a hit with most of our guests. We like to address any issues or complaints brought forth by our guests, however if they aren’t brought forth they can’t be addressed. Our breakfast consists of the following: make it yourself waffles, honeybuns, oatmeal, cereal, coffee, milk and iced orange juice. CareFree Inn carries hotel standard mattresses. As far as the traffic, we have no control over our location in regards to the traffic. We plan to install sound barriers in the near future.
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed February 28, 2011

In February, I took my husband to Houston to the Texas Medical Center for a cerebral angiogram and an embolization procedure to treat an abnormality in his brain. The staff at CareFree was very compassionate toward me and my family. The free shuttle to and from the Medical Center came in handy so that I could return to the motel to get more personal belongings to have at the hospital without driving in the intimidating Houston traffic. We appreciated having the frig and microwave in our room as well as the access to the Internet. We meant to take advantage of the communal kitchen too but stayed at the hospital more than planned. Denise, Sophia, Veronica, and Jesus, plus other staff members really seemed to care about us in our time of need. We have to go back in 6 months for another procedure and plan to stay at CareFree for sure! We thank CareFree for making us feel at home while we were 800 miles away from home. We stayed on the back side to be farther away from the freeway traffic.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We spent a month at the Carefree Inn and have little bad to say about it.

Pros, customer service could not be beat. If you are using the shuttle they will call and make sure that if you were dropped off you were also picked up. Always friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and community kitchen has all new appliances and plenty of cookware to make any meal.

Cons, a little noisy due to the proximity of the interstate. Some rooms have little natural light and can be dark.

Overall an enjoyable and budget friendly option. Would use it again and suggest it to anyone needing to be close to the Medical Center.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business