“Best Western Downtown”

Ranked #4 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Louisiana
“Best Western Downtown”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was looking for a hotel near downtown Houston to be near family. Usually we bypass Best Western but this hotel had wonderful reviews so I decided to give it a whirl. My husband and I stayed there for one night and it was good. Our King-bed room was roomy and pleasant. Sofa, chair, desk, mini-fridge, microwave etc. The bed was AWESOME (and I'm not easy to please). Our room was on the 4th floor, very quiet and cool. The flat screen TV was new. Helpful and friendly staff.

The breakfast was crazy good. Scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles (make yourself), cereal, bagels, biscuits, fruit, yogurt, 3 kinds of coffee if that's your thing, very tasty. The eggs were moist and flavorful, the real deal. Good job BW. I would suggest more rate discounts. Otherwise, this hotel is a very good property.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mpwdmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Austin, TX
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed here because we needed a place in a pinch and so I went on Trip Advisor and saw this was ranked the #5 hotel in Houston.

Based on that we stayed here - and I have to say I wasn't super impressed.

The staff we VERY helpful and great but the hotel is just a little run down and eighties-ish.
Everything although clean just look kind of old and dinky.

It was fine for the one night I stayed there but next time I would probably keep looking around to find something more modern.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ronnizia
Leiden
Reviewed June 10, 2012

If you need to be in (or near) downtown Houston for a couple of days, don't look any further. The hotel is clean, the rooms are huge with huge TV's, every room has a fridge and a microwave, there's a complimentary breakfast and a "happy hour" during which you get free drinks and snacks.
That is all very well, but what really makes your stay at this hotel worth your money is the very personal approach of the staff. Of course you can go to hospitality monsters like the Double Tree which is actually IN downtown Houston and not NEAR it, but you'll feel like a number, like a soulless statistic out there.
So I'd say don't go to those horrible, huuuge hotels IN downtown Houston, just take this one. You'll love it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Aryman
Spring, TX
Reviewed June 4, 2012

A word first about the location. It's in an area adjacent to I-45, just a few blocks from the edge of the downtown office towers. About a 4 block walk. But that 4 block walk, and however many more to your destination within downtown, can be brutal during the searingly hot and humid period between early June and late September. It's location is immediately adjacent to Freedman's Town in the 4th ward, an area just beginning to transition from old, delapidated wooden homes and bad street surfaces to "gentrification". Walking some of the streets late night might not be prudent. There is a secure parking area to the front and the rear of the property.

All of the rooms are suite-sized, much larger than is typical. Lots of room. Room decor is a step up from the usual blandness of most hotels, quite attractive. The room and bath were super clean. Carpet is just a bit frayed though. The beds are very comfy and soft, which I prefer. Some don't. Had a very nice white comforter, not one of those nasty bedspread things.

There's a microwave and refrigerator in each room. And a 42" HDTV. BUT... no HDTV service. Go figure. They spent more than is normal in designing and furnishing the rooms, then won't bother to pay for HDTV service.

The bath was very clean, but average in size and design. The towels were excellent, very fluffy. BUT... no exhaust vent. Why do so many mid-to-upscale hotels not install bathroom exhaust vents?

The air conditioner was very efficient and quick in establishing whatever temperature we set it for. And was very quiet in doing so. Had an excellent nights sleep.

There's a nice pool, but it's situated a bit oddly. Most of the pool and surrounding lounging area are under the hotel's second floor, with no sun access. There is one small area at one end of the pool that does get sun from midday until early evening.

There is an excellent full breakfast. Which is fortunate since there's no nearby dining or shopping places.

All in all, a very good place to sleep well near downtown, but it's very overpriced. After all, it's just a Best Western Plus. For the same price or a few bucks more a room can be booked at nearby hotels that are actually within downtown such as the Doubletree.

Room Tip: There are 4 floors, and one slow elevator, that makes very odd noises when moving. There's no vi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xplorers2
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I was in town for a very large conference taking place in the downtown region. This hotel was just outside the downtown core, but still in a good location. It was a little pricey during my first 3 nights; however, slightly cheaper than other hotels around. The conference I was attending may have driven prices as well. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the downtown area. If you prefer to walk, you can get right downtown to the George Brown Convention Centre in about 25 minutes. The rooms were nice, very clean, air conditioned, had a TV large tv and free wifi. There is a pool and excellent complimentary breakfast. There is also an array of restaurants in the hotel's vicinity. The staff are extremely friendly and will try their best to help you out with whatever you need as well. Overall, I give this place a thumbs up! I definitely recommend it and will stay here again if I return to Houston.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MY0ung
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Honestly, Best Western isn't a chain I normally stay with when I travel for business which is very often. There was something going on in the area and this was very close to my last option. Now, I'm returning to Houston later this month and will definitely be staying there again. It was a wonderful surprise. The entire hotel was very nice AND clean. The rooms were amazing. I would never have expected a room that size. Extremely comfortable including the bed. The breakfast was also great although I would like to have had hot, already prepared oatmeal and other options in fresh fruit HOWEVER that sounds really picky when you consider the variety of options that were available. Good job to all who work there! Thanks for giving me an all new impression of this Best Westerns!! As a note, this is called "Downtown" and the location is quite convenient, however, you should know that it isn't a convenient location for walking to restaurants. On the other hand, it has great parking that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for so that isn't so bad. I'll still be choosing it and making the short drive (long walk) to the many great restaurants nearby.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank RetaginTN
Little Rock, AR
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed for 4 days, and the staff was amazing! I asked Jo at the front desk about the closest pharmacy, and she checked with me the next day to see if I got to one, or if I needed to still get some things. Sonny, the shuttle driver, would take me. He seemed to be a my beck and call, even though I know he drove everyone around. And Cynthia, the bar tender, laughed at all my jokes (which can be quite a feat)! Very cordial and a great host!

Oh, and the rooms where spacious, clean, and since I ate my cookies each day, on my last day, they left me two packs!

A really wonderful stay!