“Nice Peking Duck”

Yao Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #714 of 8,451 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We decided to try the duck, not as good as that I had in Beijing but hey its Houston and it was okay, crispy skinned, not overcooked, the pancakes were a little thicker than we liked but all in all okay given its hard to get duck in Houston. We also had a combination fried rice and took home for lunch. We also tried appetizer of crab wontons, also okay, service was excellent so all in all worth going back

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I do not remember this restaurant being this bad ...
but ...
we ate in the restaurant ... 4 people
we ordered Peking duck ... everything was bad ... pancakes soggy, duck skin was not crispy, plum sauce was tasteless ... oh wait the cucumber was OK ...

Main dish .. I ordered my "tester" dish "Salt & Pepper Shrimp" ... this was the worst tasting I have had in a LOOONNNNGGGG time ... no salt and pepper taste at all just deep fried ...

Service : AWFUL ... kept having to search for our server. The originally put us on a table that would have struggled to seat two people ... have these servers never sat down to a chinese meal ... we had to ask to move to a table where we could place the meal for us to share ... (shakes head in disbelief)

Wine : was actually quite good

However, there must be better places than this ...

DISAPPOINTED

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Three things were ordered for take-out. Egg rolls with chicken--huge egg rolls filled with usual veggies and really BIG chunks of chicken that made eating the rolls difficult. They came with a peanut dipping sauce that smelled bad--not a fan. I like dipping in hot mustard. The spicy beef with broccoli was typical. It tasted better cold the next day. Last dish: pork lo mein, so bland that I spiced it up with hot mustard just to get some flavor. Will I return? No. The entry was too used and tired looking to appeal to my tastes.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

The restaurant is set with a great authentic decor. The food was very good and at a very affordable price.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Wow! What a great place. My sister under going cancer was delighted to come here. We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere.