“Not as authentic as I'd expected”

Yao Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #577 of 8,287 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Chinese
Calgary, Canada
“Not as authentic as I'd expected”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

As a Chinese person I'd have to say the dishes are not as authentic as I'd expected. I'll have to try some of the smaller and less glamor ones in Chinatown to compare. Mongolian Beef and House Special Fried Rice are highly recommended. Very large portions so don't be too ambitious.

• Visited March 2013

Sweeny, TX
“At YAO with my Chinese in-laws”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Together with my Wife and her Parents, from Mainland China, we went to Yao Restaurant and Bar in Houston. We first did some shopping in Chinatown to miss the heavy rush at lunchtime.
Shortly after 1 P.M. we arrived and took some pictures and then were quickly seated. The wait staff was well dressed and prompt. Within 5 minutes we all had our drinks and proceeded to order. We then made the rounds and looked at Yao Ming's memorabilia as we returned to our table the food was arriving. We had ordered Yao's Special Shrimp, Beef and Asparagas in Oyster Sauce, Sweet and Sour Pork and the Szechuan Chicken with Chinese Eggplant. If you don't already know this; food, it's presentation and taste are very important. I am happy to say that my Mother and Father in-law as well as my Wife were all completely happy with our meal at Yao. The price is moderate and I consider it a good value. We expect more family and friends to visit and we will be sure to take the to Yao Restaurant and Bar in Houston.

• Visited March 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
“Icon simplicity”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Rocket's YAO Ming restaurant. The restaurant is humbly appealing, no glitz, or glam. Has a display case of Ming memorabilia, and few Ming pictures. Nice classy simplicity. Service was excellent. Had the steamed dumplings @5.95 delicious. Moo Goo Gai Pan x2 @ 8.50 tasteful, total $30.40. Overall experience would cause one to return without hesitation.

• Visited January 2013
houston, tx
“Best Chinese in Westchase”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have to admit that I have an absolute addiction to Yao's Kung Pao Beef. I go to this restaurant litertally once a week. The egg drop soup is delectable (tip: add a little of the chili oil!). I typically sit in the bar and watch one or more of the big screen TV's they have while I drink a cold draft beer (happy hour til 7 pm) :)
The staff there is incredible. If you get lucky, Cindy will be your bartender; she is awesome! Make sure to drop by Yao some time!

Visited December 2012
Sugar Land, Texas
“Best Chinese Food in Houston”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have lived in Houston for all of my adult life and have eaten at a lot of good Chinese food restaurants, but I believe that Yao's is the best of the best. I have never had a bad dish at this restaurant. Our favorite is the double pan-fried noodles with chicken with their delicious signature brown sauce. We love their chicken eggrolls and the egg drop soup. They've added a 3 course dinner option which includes a choice of appetizer, soup and 2 entrees. I wish they were closer to home because then we would eat there more often.

• Visited September 2012