“One of Houston's Best Italian Restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Coppa Ristorante Italiano - CLOSED

Coppa Ristorante Italiano
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Washington Ave./ Memorial Park
Cross street: TC Jester
Transit: There is a Metro stop within a brief walk of the front door.
Description: it has been rebranded from "Catalan" by the same owners.
Spring, Texas
“One of Houston's Best Italian Restaurants”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We're a little embarrassed that it's taken us this long to get to Coppa. After two visits in the last month, we're rating this one of the very best Italian restaurants in Houston.
Coppa reminds us of the real-deal Italian places we grew up with up north, where there was a good Italian restaurant within walking distance - but updated and clarified, amplified, stretched and simply better. Clean, bright flavors, excellent service, cut-rate wine prices typical of Charles Clark's places - what's not to like?
But we don't like it, we LOVE it, and that's because the food itself is just amazing. Best dishes so far: the charcuterie platter, the pappardelle (OMG!) and the meatballs - my wife could live on them.
Go. Eat. Enjoy.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank ManLovesFood

Houston, TX
“Excellent food, okay service, & expensive lunch prices!”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I have wanted to go here for quite awhile. I drive by it a lot and it looks nice. It is in the old Catalan spot, which I unfortunately never had a chance to to try out.

I took three of the ladies from the office out for lunch. One has a gluten allergy, so this was another reason we went there. They came up as one of the top gluten allergy restaurants from my google search. We started out with the wedge salad. They do not have side salads, which I thought was kind of bogus. The ladies decdied on the wedge, so we were going to split one 4 ways since they were not cheap (I believe ~$12). The server said we should order 2 to split. Thankfully she said that. If we had ordered 1 each, it still might have been small. It was a delicious, different take on the wedge. For the price it should have been much bigger.

For entrees, they ladies each ordered a 1/2 brick chicken. Two of them stayed with the polenta side. I never have been a fan of polenta. It is always tasteless and blahh. This polenta was delicious! It had a nice lemony taste to it. The other coworker went with the peas and beans, I did not have them but she said they were great. The chicken was so moist & perfectly cooked.

I went with the Margherita pizza & a side of linguini w/ marinara. The pizza was a thinner crust, but was fresh and delicious. I have eaten at Pizza Biano in Phoenix, which was at one point rated by the NY Times as one of the best pizzas in the world, this could have held their own against it. This was 5 stars for sure! The linguine & marinara tasted decent, but was not up to the standard of the pizza.

The decor of the place was kind of artsy/industrial with a somewhat minimalist approach. Thought it was a cool look.

Our server was "personality plus" and was not very interactive. The busser/table attendant was quick with the water & tea refills. A better server might have made this a 5 star experience.

The pricing was a little much for lunch. We had (2) iced teas, (2) tap waters, (2) wedge salads, (3) 1/2 brick chickens (came with side), (1) Margherita pizza, & (1) side of linguine with marinara sause, The bill before tip was ~$120. This seems a little pricey for lunch. Luckily this was on an expense account meal!

The ladies loved the place. I was extremely happy with my choice. This was hands down a 5 star place, but the dull, not super attentive server; the "very proud of their food pricing" for lunch, & the okay linguine knocked it down to a 4 star review. I did really enjoy the food and atmosphere and will definitely be back to bring my girlfriend.

• Visited March 2014
Houston, Texas
“Nice trendy place, great food!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Choose Coppa for a group get together. Restaurant was super busy but food, drinks, and our waiter were excellent. Definitely recommend reservations during the weekend.

We ordered the meatballs, truffle breadsticks, Margherita pizza, linguine, lasagna, and all were great! My husband and I plan on returning again.

• Visited December 2013
Sugar Land, Texas
“Trendy and Tasty”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This Italian restaurant is in the trendy near town area on Washington St at TC Jester. It's a little pricy for Italian food but the taste makes it worthwhile. They do a wonderful job. Great food! Definitely one to try.

• Visited November 2013
Katy, Texas
“Excellent pasta!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Had the pasta with saffron and crab -- excellent flavor and pasta was made in-house. Something to note is that only 3-4 pastas on the menu are made on site, so that is a very minor ding to the rating.

What was a bit more concerning was the lackadaisical approach our waiter took the entire time. It was a birthday dinner visit for me, and the first thing he did was come to the table next to ours, sit down, and say it was too early to be standing up...so he answered questions sitting down in a backwards-facing chair. His subsequent visits weren't much different. He didn't really detract from the whole experience because he was only at the table 3 times (taking the order, bringing the order, bringing the check), but there was definitely room for improvement.

Ambiance was good -- the dining area was perhaps a little dimly lit, but it has neat light fixtures and overall the room is very aesthetically pleasing.

Would definitely come back for another visit, but will likely stick to the non-imported pastas.

• Visited October 2013