“not all that it's cracked up to be” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sorrel Urban Bistro - CLOSED

Sorrel Urban Bistro
Cuisines: American, French, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Greenway/ Upper Kirby
Cross street: Kirby, Greenbriar
Description: Born out of a shared vision to bring affordable farm-to-table dining to Houston, restaurateur Ray Salti and Executive Chef Soren Pedersen have collaborated to create Sorrel Urban Bistro, a casually elegant, fresh design featuring an ever-changing blackboard menu of organically focused cuisine. Sorrel represents the second culinary collaboration between Salti and Pedersen, who also are partners at Ray’s Grill, a highly-lauded farm-to-table concept in Fulshear, TX, 20 miles West of Houston. In addition to a diverse daily menu selection featuring local organically grown produce and meat, sustainable fish and wild game, Sorrel offers a charcuterie bar with a wide variety of salami, sausages and prosciutto, both imported and housemade, along with artisan Texas cheeses, handcrafted breads and more. Beverage service includes seasonally inspired cocktails, artisanal beers and 200 plus wines (25 percent organic.) At Sorrel, it's about enjoying a culinary experience.
houston
“not all that it's cracked up to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We tried their Sunday brunch today. We started with the seared scallops with baby bok choy slaw. The slaw was tasty but the scallops were just okay. Of course, we had been spoiled by having outstanding scallops the two previous days as well. My wife had the Lobster Cake Benedict and it would have likely been better is it was served hotter. For her tastes, it was overly peppery and the pepper taste stayed with her. I had the slow roasted brisket We're hash and the brisket was tender but the egg was a little over cooked. We also had some fresh fruit on the side but only got some kiwi and cantaloupe. Usually, we expect a little more variety in the fruit we are served. Maybe it's just a little hip and trendy for us, but we didn't feel overly comfortable here. At lest the server was very polite. We're unlikely to return as we feel that there are better choices for brunch in this price range. It could be that it's just not for us but others might like it better.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chelsea R, Manager at Sorrel Urban Bistro, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. Overall, I'm disappointed to hear your brunch dishes did not impress. When it comes to scallops, there are many ways to prepare this tasty seafood entree, so I'm sorry you found ours just okay. What would've made the dish outstanding to you? I'm all ears!

As far as your other dishes, did you notify our team that you preferred the Benedict warmer with less pepper, and your egg a little less cooked? We would've happily prepared the dish just the way you like it. After all, the last thing we want is our guests to leave unsatisfied, so I sincerely apologize we missed the opportunity to improve your experience before you left. I hope to hear back from you, so we can have that second opportunity to impress.

Warm regards,

Houston, Texas
“Dinner at Sorrel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The menu on Sorrel is always changing. They pride themselves with farm to table menu and thus, the menu is somewhat limited. I have been to Sorrel twice for dinner and both times have been great. I had a burger that was juicy and cooked to my order. My friends both ordered the snapper and they were fresh. Definitely worth trying.

Visited November 2013
Chelsea R, Manager at Sorrel Urban Bistro, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
My sincerest thank you for taking the time to share this great review with us here on TripAdvisor. We always love hearing back from our regulars! It's absolutely thrilling to hear you love our juicy burgers and your friends loved the fresh snapper. I hope we'll have the pleasure of serving you again soon!

Houston
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Very good local cuisine. Little pricey for lunch. The waitress screwed up my friend's lunch but she got a better meal. So, it worked out. Looks like a great place to unwind with a glass of wine after work. Will be back.

Visited October 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Carolyn. I'm happy to hear you love our farm-to-table dishes and find us to be a great place to unwind after a long day. I speak on behalf of our team when I say, we look forward to your next visit!

Take care,
Plano, Texas
“Fantastic Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

What a fantastic experience. I took my customer here, based on reviews I saw on Trip Advisor, and I was not disappointed. We were warmly greeted when we entered the restaurant. It was a beautiful evening in Houston, and we ate outside. We asked for help with the wine selection, and the pick our waiter, JR, provided was reasonably priced and outstanding. A great Cabernet. I ordered a simple salad, and my customer ordered the butternut squash soup. Both were incredible. The salad was fresh; the soup delicious with subtle seasonings. The bread and dipping sauces they brought out with the first course were fresh and fantastic. We both wanted something light and we ordered the snapper with sweet potato pave - just outstanding. So fresh, and the spices were a delicious combination. We did not order dessert, which took incredible discipline on our part, as everything was delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant for the atmosphere, freshness of the ingredients, and simply great dishes. I will be back!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chelsea R, Manager at Sorrel Urban Bistro, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
My sincerest thank you for the support, Mike. I'm thrilled to hear you had a fantastic experience and JR provided great recommendations. Our passion is serving guests fresh, farm-to-table dishes so hearing you enjoyed just that truly means a lot to us. I look forward to sharing this with the team almost as much as I look forward to welcoming you back!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Relatively healthy and creative menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

After a couple of Sunday brunch, I felt that I'll be going back to Sorrel Urban Bistro in the future.
First, plenty of parking spots which is a plus for any restaurant. Second, the customers are welcomed by beautiful and charming ladies. I also like how the restaurant is set up and you have an open kitchen that could be seen from any table (they also have a big screen TV giving you access to the action).

The servers are very professional and don't fake their attitude. The first time I went, I ordered the Fabio's home-made pasta dish (out of the restaurant month menu). It was actually pretty good, but felt that the portion was a bit small for the price of the dish. The second time around, I ordered the Lobster Benedict to go along with my salad. It's actually my favorite dish and it left me wanting more. As for the chocolate mousse dessert, it was a bit disappointing and didn't feel the right amount of chocolate flavor.
I definitely recommend trying out their brunch if you feel like it. It's one of the best brunch restaurants in Houston in my opinion. Plus, you'll like the ambiance this place gives it's customers.

Visited August 2013
Chelsea R, Manager at Sorrel Urban Bistro, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I always love hearing back from our regulars. Thank you, Alexis, for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I'm happy to hear you love our Lobster Benedict and Fabio's home-made pasta dish hit the spot. I look forward to sharing this with the team almost as much as I look forward to welcoming you back