“Amazing!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Greenway/ Upper Kirby
Cross street: Kirby, Greenbriar
Description: Born out of a shared vision to bring affordable farm-to-table dining to Houston, restaurateur Ray Salti and Executive Chef Soren Pedersen have collaborated to create Sorrel Urban Bistro, a casually elegant, fresh design featuring an ever-changing blackboard menu of organically focused cuisine. Sorrel represents the second culinary collaboration between Salti and Pedersen, who also are partners at Ray’s Grill, a highly-lauded farm-to-table concept in Fulshear, TX, 20 miles West of Houston. In addition to a diverse daily menu selection featuring local organically grown produce and meat, sustainable fish and wild game, Sorrel offers a charcuterie bar with a wide variety of salami, sausages and prosciutto, both imported and housemade, along with artisan Texas cheeses, handcrafted breads and more. Beverage service includes seasonally inspired cocktails, artisanal beers and 200 plus wines (25 percent organic.) At Sorrel, it's about enjoying a culinary experience.
“Amazing!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The customer service was great and food was amazing. Sunday brunch and $1.00 mimosas, the best I have found in Houston. I will return :-).

Houston, Texas
“Great brunch on Mother's Day, service was a bit off but we had a good time.”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We took a business contact here for brunch, she had just arrived from Australia the day before. We sat outside as it was so nice out and inside was a bit energetic for our desire to discuss upcoming business. My wife tried their special Mimosa. Our server brought menus and the wine list. After a while we gave our order and I chose a bottle of wine, the server suggested a slightly more expensive one and I agreed as it also looked nice. Odd thing was when he came with the wine he only brought one glass! I enjoy wine but would hardly drink the whole bottle! We asked for 2 more glasses and he eventually got them to us. Then our appetizers came out and no sooner had then set them down my wife began to say, "I don't think this is what I ordered" and out of nowhere a different server reached in and snatched the dish and took it to the next table. Right behind him was another server with my wife's dish. We all had a chuckle. Then, I finished my app. first so the server took my plate. Just as my wife and guest were finishing the last of their appetizers my main course came out. Seemed odd as it is customary to serve everyone at once. I hesitated for a moment feeling awkward starting my next course and suddenly a different server snatched my plate and apologized and took it to another table! I told my wife it was beginning to remind me of the dining room scenes in Faulty Towers with John Cleese as Basil Faulty moving dishes and smacking Manuel, his immigrant employee for putting them at the wrong table.

We shared a dessert and just as the server set down the bill next to me our Australian guest took it and said it was her treat. My wife and I protested but relented and thanked her. My wife explained tipping protocol here as Australians generally don't tip service in their country. My wife suggested a tip of 20% as the meal was so nice even with the mix ups. On the way home after dropping our guest at her hotel my wife remarked how nice the meal was and so affordable, only $145 before the tip. I began to do the math and realized that the bill did not include the $85 bottle of wine or the Mimosa. They must have forgotten to run the bar part of the tab. But we agreed we will go back and they even gave my wife a Mother's Day card with a 15% off coupon for another meal. Doubt we will get the free wine next time but that's OK!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Chris S
New Jersey
“Definitely a restaurant to try!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We came on a Friday night without a reservation-but they were able to sit us by the bar. The restaurant was packed and understandably so-the food is of excellent quality and presentation. It may be be a bit pricey, but it is well worth it. The waitstaff were very attentive and friendly. We will return without a doubt!

• Visited February 2013
“Sorrel Urban Bistro”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is one of our "go to" restaurants in Houston. When we want a great meal along with great service this is where we head. If we can we book a table over looking the kitchen so we do so. The wine list is very good and the prices are moderate. We love the locally sourced food items and the ever changing menu. The fact that there is no valet parking is a major plus for this restaurant.

Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“More than a neighborhood restaurant!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have been to Sorrel many times now for brunch, lunch, and dinner and went there last for a birthday celebration.

The service is excellent (knowledgeable & friendly), the food local and delicious, the wine list excellent, and the ambiance very comfortable while also very "uptodate".

We recommend this local restaurant for any meal, anytime; whether a special occasion, a romantic dinner, or a time you just don't want to cook.