“One night stay”

Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH
Ranked #187 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Comparable to Hilton Hampton. Friendly staff, nice CLEAN quiet room. Happy hour with wine and light beer. Should have had regular or variety as breweries are in city. But filling enough we did not have to go out for dinner. Hearty breakfast--Yum Yum. This is not the place to be close to tourist attractions. Pool clean and inviting. No one seem to be taking advantage of well equipped fitness room. Great for quick in and out stays.

• Stayed: August 2013
Dave P, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. Thank you for liking our property.We hope you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to our area.

There are newer reviews for Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Me and Family enjoyed our stay. It was a very nice Hotel and it was a reasonalble price. Great stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Dave P, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property and for high marks, your comments are very much valued. I am glad you like our property and hope you will consider staying with us the next time your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed here for four nights on a trip that was largely based in downtown Houston.

Upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised with the room and the cleanliness of the property. From the outside, it doesn't look like much. We were in a corner suite on the top floor and had a comfortable king bed, a refrigerator, a microwave, a desk and chair, and a flatscreen TV.

The hotel has a complimentary breakfast from 6:00a to 9:00a on weekdays (same thing on weekends but different hours) and a complimentary happy hour from 4:00p to 6:00p Mondays-Thursdays. As we checked-in at 3:45p, we decided to check out the happy hour. It consisted of canned Bud Light, two bottles of wine, various finger foods, and chicken nuggets. Although this wasn't top of the line, it was certainly appreciated and more than they needed to do. Breakfast consisted of hot eggs with a hot meat, yogurt, cold cereal, fresh fruit, pastries, juices, and coffee. I eat oatmeal every morning and found what looked to be Cream of Wheat or grits (I wasn't sure but didn't ask), so I bought a box of oatmeal from a store and ate that everyday instead.

The drive to and from Houston was quite simple, about 15-20 miles. However, we never traveled during traditional peak travel times. If you're using a rental car here and are using a GPS or printed directions to navigate, be careful- they'll almost always route you to the Hardy Toll Road, which is cashless. Rental companies usually charge you a $25 per day "convenience" fee in addition to the tolls if you get stuck on this. You can easily avoid the Hardy Toll Road by taking Beltway 8 east to US 59 or Beltway 8 west to I-45, both of which are free and are within 2 miles of the Hardy Toll Road.

On our second night back, we found a note under our door stating that the water might be a little "muggy and brown" so to run our faucets for 10 minutes. Sure enough, in the middle of this, brown materials emerged from the pipes before returning to clear. I had been drinking the water as I usually do before this and had found it to be upsetting to my stomach; when my girlfriend suggested this brown material might be other's waste, I immediately began buying water.

We got back every night around 11:30PM and had no problem sleeping, EXCEPT on the last night, when we got back earlier due to an early flight the next day. At 10:00PM, I found it hard to fall asleep due to constant jet and traffic noise (our room faced Beltway 8 dead on) and this despite the fact that I had the AC on. So maybe not so good to stay here if you're going to bed early and are a light sleeper like me.

There have been concerns about safety here, but I didn't have any with the property itself. They had a security guard on patrol. However, the area around the property is another story.

The biggest turn-off to this property for me (and it isn't their fault at all) is the conditions for outdoor running. I run about five miles a day outside nearly every day, no matter the weather or topography. I've been doing this for about 7 years. This area was by far the WORST area I have EVER run in. First, the highway it is off has a fairly wide shoulder, but the cars appear shocked and stunned that anyone would be walking/running along it and I was nearly hit several times by cars jumping into the shoulder at highway speeds way before they needed to to dodge traffic while they made their right turns. In addition, I had a trucker honk his horn at me for no reason as I passed that nearly made me jump out of my skin.

Once you get off the highway, most of the side roads are narrow and have no sidewalks.

However, here is what makes this place the worst- the vagabond dogs that roam the streets. On my first run on Tuesday the 6th, as I was running down a highway shoulder mind you, a snarling, snapping pit bull leaps out of a ditch and begins to attempt to chase me. I ran as fast as I could and was saved by a car honking his horn at the dog. I later drove down the road and was accosted by the dog in my car- he stood out in the middle of the street, impervious to cars and snarled and attempted to make contact with them. I saw this dog in another spot in the area the next day and back by this area the third day (although thankfully I avoided him both times).

In addition to this snarling dog, I was approached by at least five others during my three runs, including a very threatening white pit mix with a brown spot on his eye who came out of nowhere. I was forced to turn around and run on a major artery with no sidewalk to escape this one.

I have NEVER had these sorts of issues and I can't figure out why the city of Houston isn't doing more to control this. Hence, if you stay in this area and plan to hang out anywhere near here, be prepared for these sorts of encounters. Nearly all of the houses and business had gates and many appeared to employ vicious (or vicious looking/sounding) dogs as protection. The only other place I've seen so much security like this was in South Africa, which is one of the most crime-stricken countries in the developed world.

Overall, this hotel was just fine. However, don't look to its area as a place to hang out and partake in outdoor activity somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you're using a rental car here and are using a GPS or printed directions to navigate, be care...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark F
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed here two days for a business trip. The idea was to stay close to the airport to make catching my 6am flight easier. Well, the hotel doesn't really have any soundproofing, so when the A/C is turned off, you hear EVERY plane departing. I think the last one was at 11:15pm.

That lack of soundproofing carries into the areas between the rooms, allowing me to hear every conversation, guitar being played (another issue), and worst of all, EVERY time someone knocks on a door on your hallway, it sounds like they're knocking on your door. There must've been a door knocking convention in town for my trip, because at least 20-30 times I heard the knock, and started out of bed to the door, thinking it was me.

A few other negatives before I get to the positives: Some of my towels appeared "pre-used", but the cleaning staff was a bit too aggressive around my stuff. They managed to throw away one of the two lids to my contact lens case. Anyone who wears contacts knows that is a major inconvenience.

The area around the hotel isn't particularly great. There's a security car parked out in front, and you know why as soon as you drive a couple blocks to the closest gas station. There you are accosted by people begging you for gas money, and approaching you trying to sell airbrushed t-shirts. I just wanted to gas up the rental car.

One last *potential* negative. I believe I was the only guest in the hotel who speaks English, so if that's the sort of thing that bothers you, stay away.

Despite all of this, there were some good qualities. Despite the noise at night, the hotel is very quiet during the day. The front desk worker (Tay?) was very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was filling, and my room came with a microwave and mini-fridge. While I didn't use the pool, it looked clean and nice.

Finally, for my complaints about the proximity to the airport, I was at the rental car dropoff in less than 20 minutes.

I'm sure there are better places for the money, but this earned a nice square average rating in my book.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Dave P, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Sir,
Kindly accept our sincere apologies for not being able to provide service according to your expectation.Providing high standards of hospitality is the general norm of our hotel. We genuinely regret the inconvenience caused to you because of towels, aircraft noise , other sounds , and loss of your contact lens case.
We reassure you of our co-operation and look forward to a more positive association with you in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Dave P, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I booked a last minute overnight stay here and was very impressed with the entire experience. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. The complimentary breakfast has a great variety to choose from and was satisfying. The staff was helpful and polite.I will be back again next month. Thank you!

1  Thank cinh33
Dave P, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for your high marks .Appreciate that.