“A great nap on layover from the airport”

Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH
Ranked #181 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I arrived without a reservation after realizing I needed a place to sleep during my long airport layover. I was greeted and checked in very courteously. Since I was checked out extremely early and missing the breakfast, the very friendly clerk found a granola bar and apple for me. The room was clean and quiet, and my 4:30 airport shuttle was on time ands friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ammolite1
WingateIAH, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Although your stay with us was short it is very gratifying to know that my staff made an impression on you, come back and see us soon!!!

Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed here a couple of times and always enjoyed my stay. This hotel offers great value, dependable shuttle service, excellent front service (Darius is very helpful and nice), nice breakfast. Would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for your review and your continued business with us we love to hear how well the staff takes care of our guests but after staying with us once you are family now!!!

Reviewed April 28, 2012

Jerrica Connor has got a great team and a great hotel. Excellent location, Good Value. True "Free Hot Breakfast". Darius at the front desk was very helpful, got us in our room early and put our rooms together. And provided local restaurant info. We were in Houston for unfortunate Family Business and the staff bent over backwards to make it the best stay ever. Amber was very helpful at the front desk as well. Pool area was clean and refreshing. Rooms were well maintained, clean and well furnished. Definitely recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

I know that the reason your family was here was very unfortunate but we are glad that we got to meet and talk with all of you, your entire family was great!!! Remember next time that you are in town your Houston family is waiting for you at the Wingate!!!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Although I encountered several issues with the property the staff was exceptionally professional the entire time. Each person showed an interest to my issues and compliants without showing one sign of unconcern or frustration. The way they handled the entire situation with my complaints was awesome. I can not complain about the staff. They made my staying bearable. They should be commended for their professional attitudes and willingness to make my stay what I was expecting.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovetotravel0424

I know that you had a few issues during your stay which again I apologize but I'm glad that you still commend the front desk agents as they did their best to try and accommodate you. Although there are some situations where the staff can only do so much I know that my team will continue to go above and beyond to please our guests. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I brought a group of College Students on a business trip and we stayed at the Wingate. While the hotel itself is in pretty good condition, there were numerous problems with housekeeping and the front desk staff. Our first night there, the rooms were not cleaned by housekeeping. When I approached the young lady at the front desk about the situation that evening, she seemed rather frustrated because housekeeping had left for the day. She even seemed bothered with us asking for towels, too busy on talking the phone I suppose. I could tell that it wasn't hotel business because she was speaking in Spanish and I'm somewhat fluent in the language. The next morning when I explained the situation to the lady who had checked us in the previous night, she stated the problem may have occurred because of our very late arrival. However, I called the hotel twice to notify them of this situation and we were in our rooms well before housekeeping started knocking on doors. Sounds to me as if someone may have neglected indicating that our rooms were occupied in the system.

When housekeeping was eventually called to service my room, all the housekeeper did was make the bed and left - nothing else. A student complained the next night that a lipstick stain on her pillow which she requested be changed was simply flipped over onto the other side. That is simply beyond ridiculous. The pillowcase should've been changed.

Besides this, other problems noticed by students were the front desk staff having continuous personal conversations on the phone, staff always on the computer in the business center, and the staff was eating much of the breakfast that is supposed to be for guests. While I didn't witness this personally, I have never known students to exaggerate about something like that. I emailed the hotel manager to contact me about 'issues' we were having but she never responded or called me. While some of the hotel staff were friendly, as a Management Professor, I strongly believe that more professionalism and customer service training is needed.

That being said, given the problems with housekeeping, I'm not so sure I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is particular about cleanliness. As for service and professionalism, I've seen better at a Days Inn and I don't even stay at those anymore! I expected better at a Wyndam property.

Room Tip: Be prepared to get a temporary Eztag, the hotel is located on a toll road and most of the stops do n...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

I greatly apologize for your inconvenience but it is hotel policy that rooms are not serviced same day check-in. The front desk agent that you informed may have seemed a bit frustrated because housekeeping was already gone for the day and I can assure you that any phone conversations that you may have heard were work related as they were in regards to getting your guest rooms cleaned. We will take all of this a learning experience so that we can train better for situations such as these, we hope that you will give us another try and see how we've improved.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Last February I stayed at the Wingate, because the hotel I normally stay in was fully booked.
It takes about 20 minutes by shuttle to get there, and must say that their way of transportation was great. Once their shuttle arrives at the terminal, you get greeted by one of their staff members who drives you to the hotel. At check in everything went well and the room I stayed in was perfect. It had a small kitchenette inside... had complimentary coffee in the room, and their Breakfast buffet had a nice variety.
I would definitely stay there again. The only negative side of the hotel is the location, as they don't have a restaurant, and when wanting to dine out, you need to take a taxi.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
WingateIAH, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Hopefully we will be your first choice each time you visit our wonderful City of Houston!!! Although our location isn't the greatest our shuttle can take you to restaurants along the route to the airport that way you can save on a taxi. Hope to see you soon

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Selected this hotel as was arriving at IAH late one night and departing from IAH the next morning. I selected this hotel based on a number of Tripadvisor reviews. The complimentary shuttle was nice, the checkin staff were friendly, but maybe I just received a poor room, 324. The A/C didn't seem to work well, maybe a thermostat problem. But I was very disappointed and disgusted with the amount of dirt buildup on the a/c unit. For the money it was OK, but not enough to recommend or book again without looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

The a/c unit build-up is unacceptable and our maintenance and porter have been working to clean each and every unit as we do pride ourselves on cleanliness and should there be any issues we try to resolve them ASAP. I think that you will find that we have more to offer other than just a good rate if you stay with us again any issues bring them to our attention and we do our absolute best to resolve them for you.