“Wonderful experience”

Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH
Ranked #182 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I began by looking for a simple, clean, free wi-fi, room near the airport (IAH) for a one-night stay. I don't expect much, just cleanliness, comfort, decent neighborhood. I found this one while searching for 2+ stars and was able to book a room easily. I didn't understand the 2+ rating since it was a Wyndham property because they've got a great reputation.

I walked in and was truly surprised. On the drive-up, clean area, very well maintained property. Lobby entry, very clean and elegant, super friendly and easy-going reception/registration clerk. Room was outstanding!! Very clear, well-appointed, separate business/dining area and a separate sleeping area, a true suite. Everything in the room was upscale, clean, classy.

There was one negative though...They do not have a restaurant inside but let me know that they had a sister motel next door where I could buy dinner. This was the negative...I didn't mind walking next door but the meal they classified as a "dinner" for $10.00 was nothing more than some breaded chicken strips, french fries, and salad (something they ran out of in the first 45 minutes!). I was completely unsatisfied with that. The good news is that it in no way reflected on my experience at Wingate. The free, all-you-can-eat breakfast was certainly fine (fresh cooked eggs, bacon, misc breads, sweet rolls, waffles, coffees, juices, and more).

All in all, this was a tremendous experience and I highly recommend it for cleanliness, service, shuttle service to IAH, comfort, and all the other amenities listed on their site. I have no complaints (except for food availability).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
WingateIAH, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

I'm so glad that you truly enjoyed your stay with us! We have surprised many guests such as yourself with all of the complimentary amenities at a reasonable inclusive rate, unlike some places we do not sacrifice quality or cleanliness for a good rate...we have it all. I know that a restaurant in close proximity would be ideal for our location, but our drivers can shuttle our guests to places near us; I wish we could open something here (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something). Hope to see you soon!!!

Reviewed December 5, 2011

I really enjoy staying at this hotel and the consistently safe and courteous service provided by the staff and management of this property.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Ms. Mayo it is always a pleasure having you all here with us!!!

Reviewed December 1, 2011

It's a new hotel so you would expect better, but maybe there's a reason it was so empty during my 3-night stay. This despite cashing in on a Black Friday online deal for 50% off. The receptionist was incredibly rude to me when I checked in. I've never arrived at the counter to be asked "what's your reservation" so abruptly. This was followed by being given a room facing the highway, then a room that had been smoked in, then finally a decent room. Each time with much rudeness in between and zero courtesy.

Breakfast also royally sucked considering the brand and price of this place. Nothing hot, nothing fresh...just stale bagels, prepackaged donuts and cakes (real healthy!) and mini cereal boxes. Other hotels in the area serve much better breakfasts, with scrambled eggs, hash-browns, fresh cut fruit, etc.. so I was very disappointed.

Not to mention breakfast is only served until 9AM, even on Sunday!!

Small Peeves...
Advertises HBO, but there is no HBO (I even called the desk to ask which channel)

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank w999

I greatly apologize that your experience here was memorable for all the wrong reasons because the behavior that you received is intolerable. I have made multiple staff changes as it unacceptable for the guest service agents to be anything less than friendly and customer service oriented. It is you the guest that any of us even have jobs and you should never have been treated as if you were and inconvenience. We are working towards improving all aspects of the hotel with the guests questions, comments, and concerns in mind. We hope you will try us again!!!

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Very happy with my stay at this hotel. The hotel staff were great. Jerricca the manager was awesome and provided great tips on where to shop and where to have some fun. If and when I am ever back in Houston I will stay at this hotel. It was very convienent and the staff were excellent!

Room Tip: Get a suite.... its nice and roomy
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
WingateIAH, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

The staff works very hard to keep our guest satisfied, I am pleased to know their hard work is paying off. Wingate is still a fairly new to the area and we are looking to make our mark!!! Your review just pushed us closer to our goal Thank You so much and we hope to see you again soon!!!

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Recently, I was a guest at the Houston-Wingate hotel and want to commend you on the awesome customer service experience that I enjoyed.

The front staff was very helpful and friendly.

I received excellent transportation assistance as well. Minnie - I think that was her name......was Fantastic. Her personality and willingness to go the extra mile were priceless.

As a previous Flight Attendant, I have been to many overnight stays at various locations and can say, without hesitation, the Houston-Wingate surpassed many of my expectations.

Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Although the location was not so good, the van was available after 6 p.m. to take you where you may...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

I appreciate your comments about my staff I will make sure that they are acknowledged, I love the fact that my staff will go above and beyond for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to your new Houston Home!!!

Reviewed November 2, 2011

The Wingate Hotel went out of there way several times to accommodate my mother's extra needs because of her age. I appreciated it. Jerrica Conner "Hotel Reception" is a asset to the hotel and the company! My family are world travelers and we have never had the service we were given at this hotel. Its the little things that mean the most for older adults like my mother. Thank you for everything Jerrica!
The full breakfast is fantastic and the greeting cookies are to die for!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

It was such a pleasure to have met your mother she is a Strong and Wonderful woman with an awesome spirit and outlook on life that is very apparent. I really enjoyed talking y'all and I look forward to seeing you both again I'll have your cookies and her chair waiting. Hopefully I'll make it to Hawaii one day!!!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

No hassle check-in. Got a single room with king bed. Room was clean and ready when I arrived. Very spacious with a sitting area, closet, ref, microwave, small sink ala "kitchenette". Bathroom was just right in size and had Neutrogena supplies. Huge flat-screen TV. Breakfast bar had waffles, eggs, sausage, breads, coffees, juices. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Airport shuttle was on time and the driver was a great guy! Great value!

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel and the pictures you posted were awesome!!! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy of all the COMPLIMENTARY amenities that we offer at a low rate. Hope to see you back soon and maybe next time you can join us for our Managers Reception Mon.-Thurs. from 4:00pm-6:00pm.