“Forget This Place”

Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH
Ranked #188 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed December 1, 2011

It's a new hotel so you would expect better, but maybe there's a reason it was so empty during my 3-night stay. This despite cashing in on a Black Friday online deal for 50% off. The receptionist was incredibly rude to me when I checked in. I've never arrived at the counter to be asked "what's your reservation" so abruptly. This was followed by being given a room facing the highway, then a room that had been smoked in, then finally a decent room. Each time with much rudeness in between and zero courtesy.

Breakfast also royally sucked considering the brand and price of this place. Nothing hot, nothing fresh...just stale bagels, prepackaged donuts and cakes (real healthy!) and mini cereal boxes. Other hotels in the area serve much better breakfasts, with scrambled eggs, hash-browns, fresh cut fruit, etc.. so I was very disappointed.

Not to mention breakfast is only served until 9AM, even on Sunday!!

Small Peeves...
Advertises HBO, but there is no HBO (I even called the desk to ask which channel)

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank w999
WingateIAH, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

I greatly apologize that your experience here was memorable for all the wrong reasons because the behavior that you received is intolerable. I have made multiple staff changes as it unacceptable for the guest service agents to be anything less than friendly and customer service oriented. It is you the guest that any of us even have jobs and you should never have been treated as if you were and inconvenience. We are working towards improving all aspects of the hotel with the guests questions, comments, and concerns in mind. We hope you will try us again!!!

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Very happy with my stay at this hotel. The hotel staff were great. Jerricca the manager was awesome and provided great tips on where to shop and where to have some fun. If and when I am ever back in Houston I will stay at this hotel. It was very convienent and the staff were excellent!

Room Tip: Get a suite.... its nice and roomy
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
WingateIAH, General Manager at Wingate Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

The staff works very hard to keep our guest satisfied, I am pleased to know their hard work is paying off. Wingate is still a fairly new to the area and we are looking to make our mark!!! Your review just pushed us closer to our goal Thank You so much and we hope to see you again soon!!!

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Recently, I was a guest at the Houston-Wingate hotel and want to commend you on the awesome customer service experience that I enjoyed.

The front staff was very helpful and friendly.

I received excellent transportation assistance as well. Minnie - I think that was her name......was Fantastic. Her personality and willingness to go the extra mile were priceless.

As a previous Flight Attendant, I have been to many overnight stays at various locations and can say, without hesitation, the Houston-Wingate surpassed many of my expectations.

Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Although the location was not so good, the van was available after 6 p.m. to take you where you may...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

I appreciate your comments about my staff I will make sure that they are acknowledged, I love the fact that my staff will go above and beyond for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to your new Houston Home!!!

Reviewed November 2, 2011

The Wingate Hotel went out of there way several times to accommodate my mother's extra needs because of her age. I appreciated it. Jerrica Conner "Hotel Reception" is a asset to the hotel and the company! My family are world travelers and we have never had the service we were given at this hotel. Its the little things that mean the most for older adults like my mother. Thank you for everything Jerrica!
The full breakfast is fantastic and the greeting cookies are to die for!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

It was such a pleasure to have met your mother she is a Strong and Wonderful woman with an awesome spirit and outlook on life that is very apparent. I really enjoyed talking y'all and I look forward to seeing you both again I'll have your cookies and her chair waiting. Hopefully I'll make it to Hawaii one day!!!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

No hassle check-in. Got a single room with king bed. Room was clean and ready when I arrived. Very spacious with a sitting area, closet, ref, microwave, small sink ala "kitchenette". Bathroom was just right in size and had Neutrogena supplies. Huge flat-screen TV. Breakfast bar had waffles, eggs, sausage, breads, coffees, juices. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Airport shuttle was on time and the driver was a great guy! Great value!

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel and the pictures you posted were awesome!!! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy of all the COMPLIMENTARY amenities that we offer at a low rate. Hope to see you back soon and maybe next time you can join us for our Managers Reception Mon.-Thurs. from 4:00pm-6:00pm.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

I sponsored a training seminar here for 3 days. Close to airport and easy to find. Staff was totally courteous and helpful. Rates are good. Hotel is nice. Meeting room was good for up to about 30. A/C out in hallways - hot. Rooms nice & cool.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your review and I am extremely pleased that my staff made a good impression on you, we look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 7, 2011

We required a hotel room near Bush Intercontinental because of a canceled flight and chose the Wingate because of the combination of the Wyndham name and favorable cost of the room. Contrary to the previous 2 reviews, our experience was very satisfactory overall. We were picked up and dropped off at the airport by the free shuttle from Homewood Suites, which is right next door to the Wingate (the driver brought us to, and picked us up at, the Wingate). While we agree with previous reviewers that there was a musty smell in the corridor on the third floor, our room did not have a bad odor and it was very clean and well maintained. We shared the disappointment of prior reviewers that the hotel only served breakfast, but the woman at the reception desk told us that the Homewood Suites offered dinner. We walked there (3 minutes) and found that they offered a buffet dinner for $8 per person. If you live in the NYC area, as we do, all kinds of warning flags go up at the mention of such a low price for a meal. However with no alternatives nearby we gave it a shot and were very pleasantly surprised. The main course selection was restricted to ground beef (similar to chili) and baked potato, but there was also a salad, cookies for dessert and tea or coffee. Plus unlimited beer or wine (we were surprised when the server filled our wine glasses right up to the top and then even more surprised that it was quite drinkable). We found all the food perfectly acceptable and to us a remarkable value at $8 per person (you're lucky to get a decent glass of wine for $8 in New York City!). When we were leaving the Wingate next morning there was a power outage and the elevator got stuck. The woman at the reception realized that we were rushing to get our flight and she and the shuttle driver came with us to the third floor, without our asking them, and helped us bring our luggage (heavy, as we had been on a long trip) down the stairs. This is obviously contrary to the experience with the staff by a previous reviewer, and earns accolades from us.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple