“Disgusting Upgraded Campground”

Ranked #376 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Round Rock, Texas
“Disgusting Upgraded Campground”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at the Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd, on three opportunities once in late winter and the other two times in April.
During our first stay there were no major problems, but during our second time we encountered the following problems:
-There were no plates in the suite
-The plugs in the bathroom didn't work
-There were no hangers
-The room was barely cleaned
-WE FOUND A FLEA ON THE BEDSHEETS
-The third floor reeked of smoke
-The breakfast was third rate
The SERVICE left a lot to be desired.
Despite the shortcomings we returned, because of the proximity to the medical center. By the time we arrived, about 8:00 p.m, the room that we had been assigned had not been cleaned nor the bed made, when we pointed this out to the receptionist (Missy) she assigned us a room in the smoking section across from the garbage room, and the room stank of stale cigarette smoke and garbage. Upon our irate complaints, the receptionist called the "manager" (Tiffany) who refused to speak with us and asked the receptionist to get rid of us by booking us in another Extended Stay, which is little more than an hourly renter for "ladies of the night." As our outraged increased, Missy decide to threaten us and said she would call the police, which she claimed to have done. After waiting for the "police" for twenty minutes, and despite the receptionist's resistance, we managed to finally obtain a receipt of our cancelation by about 11:00 at night.
In our travels across the world, we have never encounters such a terrible experience. How can the owners of this establishment charge almost as much as a "regular" hotel when they don't make the beds, change the linens, not provide shampoos,do not even have safety bars in the bathrooms for infirm patients to hang onto? How can they claim that they serve breakfast when they serve days old pre-packed muffins and their eating facilities are less than impeccable. How can management subject patients of Medical establishments to such an environment, stained carpets, musty and rank odor of uncleanliness? I guess that since we live in a democracy, we can always vote with our feet and eventually demonstrate to the "Hotel" that their situation is untenable.
I apologize for the length of the note, but there is no excuse for establishments like this to exist.
Cordially,

Daniel Castro

3 Thank Daniel C
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Daniel - Thank you for providing feedback about your stay at our hotel. I truly apologize for the cleanliness issues in your room and the staff who were not attentive to your needs or respectful. It is saddening to read that you were uncomfortable during your stay. Using your review as an example, I am working with the housekeeping staff on improving their cleaning procedures and with maintenance to repair items throughout the hotel. I am also coaching the entire staff on great customer service.

We appreciate you letting us know about your stay again. We are very sorry and hope to show you our redoubled efforts should you need a place to stay that is within close proximity to the medical center.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Please do yourself a favor and stay away. It is very dirty, supplies are insufficient (you can not get the clean towels they advertise), and every room has something broken in it. Our first room had no lamps, no phone, a broken TV and a broken window that did not close on the first floor next to a dark parking lot. It took a great deal of effort to get the room we reserved. The halls were never vacuumed and trash lay in it for days. If you have any other options DO NOT stay here.We were staying here to help our daughter with her 4 month old baby while she had cancer treatment. We had to fear for the baby's health as well as hers dut to the filthy conditions.

2 Thank rah68
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I would like to begin by saying, we are thinking of you and your daughter. It saddens me that this is why you chose to stay with us; however, we are happy that you did and we appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. The lack of cleanliness in your room and furniture in need of repair is unacceptable. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the issues you described. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are committed to keeping and maintaining a cleaner property.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at HMR@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I spent almost 3 months in that Hotel.The most important things when I was looking for Houston Hotels, was vicinity of TMC. I had job every day in TMC, and I was walk to the hospital (10-15 min walking distance to TMC).From the hotel there is a bus service to all major hospitals in the TMC several times during the day. I had a nice room with a excellent kitchen. Room service was ok. But second most important thing for me was lovely ladies from reception desk IVONNE and LETI , who were all the time smiling and ready to help. The two of them, Leti and Ivonne are great professionals but at the same time they are a nice friends and make you feel like you're at you're home. Thanks for everything you done for me, and keep doing your job.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm glad that Ivonne and Leti provided such great service. As well, I am pleased to know that our location was perfect for you, especially because of our proximity to TMC.

Woodway, Texas, United States
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I booked this hotel for two nights. We arrived for a late checkin around 10:30 pm. The hotel had a strong smell of musk and funk. I waited at the desk for 3 minutes before anyone came to the front desk. I could hear someone in the room next to the desk (I know she knew I was there because of the cameras), but she didn't bother to say "hello" or to let me know someone else would be with me soon. The hallway leading to our room had a bad stench. Once we got to our room, the smell was disgusting. It smelled like urine and mold. I was so tired, I didn't want to make a big deal of it with the front desk. I proceeded to take a shower where there was mold all over the corners of the tub and covering the entire bottom and creases of the shower curtain. There was also hair all over the towel racks in the shower, so I didn't even want to hang my washcloth up. I'm so thankful my spouse and I brought our slippers and flip flops because we didn't let our feet touch the carpet, which was filthy. Once I got into bed, I decided to double check the edges of the bed for bedbugs (habit) and noticed that right next to my head on the mattress was a section of green/black MOLD about 6 inches wide and 6 inches tall. The fitted sheet on the bed wouldn't have covered it if you tried. I am extremely allergic to mold and woke up with a sore throat, stuff nose, and cough. Again, I didn't even bother with the front desk about the conditions because when I checked in the girl clearly stated to another customer that all of the rooms were booked. We got up very early and went downstairs to the complementary breakfast. I honestly was skeptical of eating anything that wasn't prepackaged because of the cleanliness of the entire establishment. If my room wasn't sanitary, why would the hotel's kitchen area be? I spoke with an employee about our problem, and she told me I would need to talk to the manager about it. He wasn't there yet. We went back upstairs and packed all of our bags for checkout. Another room would not have made my stay any better because the entire hotel was filthy. I did talk to Mr. Garcia, the manager, who was very understanding. He acknowledged the hotel is understaffed and the rooms weren't clean, as he said he was dressed down for the day so he could physically clean. He offered to personally clean our room for the following night stay we booked, and then offered another sister hotel for us to stay in. I declined because nothing was going to make it better at this point. He said he would gladly refund our stay, but was having computer problems at the time and would do it when it was fixed. I had an appointment to get to and couldn't go back to confirm that he was going to do this, so I asked him to sign our paper and state he was going to refund. I have yet to see this on my bank statements.
I'm a patient at MD Anderson and chose this hotel because the prices were very reasonable and the location was great. However, this hotel was a complete disgrace to the company's brand. To be catering to the clientele that is mostly hospital patients and family members, this hotel should have gone above and beyond to make sure that the environment is impeccably clean. Cancer patients and surgery patients have weaker immune systems! Mold in a room is inexcusable. This is a health risk. I will never come back to this hotel again, which is sad because the prices were very competitive and I'll be coming to the hospital once a month for the next six months. I would suggest bleach and a major cleaning lesson to all of the employees.

4 Thank Megan K
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. The situation you described regarding the mold in your room's bathtub and around the bed is truly regrettable. We are very sorry that it affected your allergies and made your overall experience with us an unsatisfactory one. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team and I are actively working to clean as well as improve each of our guest rooms and the property itself. As you said, being this close to the hospital with competitive prices, we absolutely want to offer the best stay possible for patients like yourself.

We apologize for the annoyance and inconvenience this may have caused you. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at hmr@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We booked this hotel due to its close proximity to the Reliant Center, which was the focus of our trip to Houston. We did not read the reviews for this hotel until after our stay, and found them quite comical, as it appears other guests have been having similar terrible stays. Like others, we attempted to find a different place to stay the first night we were there, but could not find one nearby with 5 nights available.

This hotel is nasty. The rooms are a little dated and worn, I get that, but that is no excuse not to clean them! We stayed on the 3rd floor (made famous by previous reviews), in a "non-smoking" room, and noticed the smoke stench as we exited the elevator. The room itself appeared as though the trash had been emptied, and the bed was made, but nothing else had been cleaned for MONTHS! Judging by the cleanliness of the rest of the place (halls, elevator, breakfast room), there would have been no use in changing rooms, as the filth extended throughout. All upholstered chairs had disgusting stains, large amounts of dust (dust bunnies) covered every horizontal surface, food bits in microwave, food left in freezer, upon picking up the provided cutting board, there was a distinguished outline of filth where it had been sitting, there was hair stuck to the bathroom walls, the tub and grout filthy, the dishwasher had goo leaking from it, the windows were cloudy, etc.. you name it, it was dirty. The kind of place you don't want to take your shoes off. As others wrote, we also contemplated buying cleaning supplies to disinfect the room, so we would feel more comfortable. There is no way that the Manager has personally inspected that room in the last two months. If he has, there are more staffing problems than just the cleaning crew...

On top of the condition of the room, the lady at the front desk seemed annoyed that we were checking in, or asking questions regarding the amenities. She actually pawned us off on her co-worker half-way through check-in (Customer Service is not for everyone!).

I do not recommend this Hotel to anyone.

1 Thank 372CT
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I really wanted to like this place - their rates are incredibly competitive and the manager was so helpful when I called to make a reservation that I wanted to give him glowing reviews. And he was a really nice guy in person. But this Extended Stay is deceiving. The exterior looks great while the rooms are terrible. Smelled bad, carpet was dirty - we kept our shoes on during the visit, which was tricky for me since I was recovering from ab surgery. The dishwasher didn't work an when we called for service, it took two days for them to send someone to fix it. It took four requests for our room to be cleaned on the sixth day of our stay, which we requested for our convenience (again, I was recovering from surgery and had an outing scheduled that day). But we didn't really need that cleaning - the only thing that happened was that the maid changed the bedding and left some clean towels. She didn't vacuum or wipe down a single surface or clean the bathroom. The breakfast was NOT good and the coffee was terrible.
The personnel save this place - I'm sure people come back for the low rates and the very kind, personable and helpful staff. But I won't be. Oh, and the beds are some of the worst I've slept on in a while. Consider another place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank quaycountygirl
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Quaycountrygirl,
I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here while my grandfather was treated at MD Anderson. Pretty good little hotel. MUCH better than the one on Fannin. We started out at that one. It is more updated inside the rooms, but it is set up like a motel, with the doors on the outside- no indoor hallways. Also, the breakfast at Fannin is coffee and granola bars. Definitely prefer the location on Braeswood. Indoor halls, a gym, and at least better options for breakfast (waffles, fruit). You can see the hospital from the window (super close). On the negative side, the rooms need some updating. But, they are big and ours had two a/c units. There are also wheel chairs available to help with patients.
You will not get 4-star service here. They operate on a pretty skeleton crew, but they are all very nice. You won't have your room cleaned daily and you have to bring your dirty towels to the front desk if you need clean ones. Also, I was crazy allergic to something in the room. Allergies were completely inflamed every moment that I was in the room. But, no one else seemed to be bothered. All in all, my grandparents were very comfortable there and that was all that mattered. The shuttle made their appointments very easy. Under unfortunate circumstances, it's nice when things go well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Tiffany C,

We specialize in providing guests with the amenities and service they require for an enjoyable stay at an exceptional rate. In the case of housekeeping, our standard service schedule provides one full housekeeping after every seven days stayed, with the option to purchase additional housekeeping services as desired. Operating our business in this way allows us to continue offering the same great rates to which our guests have become accustomed.