“Beyond filthy - Look elsewhere”

Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd
Ranked #370 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We booked this hotel due to its close proximity to the Reliant Center, which was the focus of our trip to Houston. We did not read the reviews for this hotel until after our stay, and found them quite comical, as it appears other guests have been having similar terrible stays. Like others, we attempted to find a different place to stay the first night we were there, but could not find one nearby with 5 nights available.

This hotel is nasty. The rooms are a little dated and worn, I get that, but that is no excuse not to clean them! We stayed on the 3rd floor (made famous by previous reviews), in a "non-smoking" room, and noticed the smoke stench as we exited the elevator. The room itself appeared as though the trash had been emptied, and the bed was made, but nothing else had been cleaned for MONTHS! Judging by the cleanliness of the rest of the place (halls, elevator, breakfast room), there would have been no use in changing rooms, as the filth extended throughout. All upholstered chairs had disgusting stains, large amounts of dust (dust bunnies) covered every horizontal surface, food bits in microwave, food left in freezer, upon picking up the provided cutting board, there was a distinguished outline of filth where it had been sitting, there was hair stuck to the bathroom walls, the tub and grout filthy, the dishwasher had goo leaking from it, the windows were cloudy, etc.. you name it, it was dirty. The kind of place you don't want to take your shoes off. As others wrote, we also contemplated buying cleaning supplies to disinfect the room, so we would feel more comfortable. There is no way that the Manager has personally inspected that room in the last two months. If he has, there are more staffing problems than just the cleaning crew...

On top of the condition of the room, the lady at the front desk seemed annoyed that we were checking in, or asking questions regarding the amenities. She actually pawned us off on her co-worker half-way through check-in (Customer Service is not for everyone!).

I do not recommend this Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 372CT
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I really wanted to like this place - their rates are incredibly competitive and the manager was so helpful when I called to make a reservation that I wanted to give him glowing reviews. And he was a really nice guy in person. But this Extended Stay is deceiving. The exterior looks great while the rooms are terrible. Smelled bad, carpet was dirty - we kept our shoes on during the visit, which was tricky for me since I was recovering from ab surgery. The dishwasher didn't work an when we called for service, it took two days for them to send someone to fix it. It took four requests for our room to be cleaned on the sixth day of our stay, which we requested for our convenience (again, I was recovering from surgery and had an outing scheduled that day). But we didn't really need that cleaning - the only thing that happened was that the maid changed the bedding and left some clean towels. She didn't vacuum or wipe down a single surface or clean the bathroom. The breakfast was NOT good and the coffee was terrible.
The personnel save this place - I'm sure people come back for the low rates and the very kind, personable and helpful staff. But I won't be. Oh, and the beds are some of the worst I've slept on in a while. Consider another place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank quaycountygirl
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Quaycountrygirl,
I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here while my grandfather was treated at MD Anderson. Pretty good little hotel. MUCH better than the one on Fannin. We started out at that one. It is more updated inside the rooms, but it is set up like a motel, with the doors on the outside- no indoor hallways. Also, the breakfast at Fannin is coffee and granola bars. Definitely prefer the location on Braeswood. Indoor halls, a gym, and at least better options for breakfast (waffles, fruit). You can see the hospital from the window (super close). On the negative side, the rooms need some updating. But, they are big and ours had two a/c units. There are also wheel chairs available to help with patients.
You will not get 4-star service here. They operate on a pretty skeleton crew, but they are all very nice. You won't have your room cleaned daily and you have to bring your dirty towels to the front desk if you need clean ones. Also, I was crazy allergic to something in the room. Allergies were completely inflamed every moment that I was in the room. But, no one else seemed to be bothered. All in all, my grandparents were very comfortable there and that was all that mattered. The shuttle made their appointments very easy. Under unfortunate circumstances, it's nice when things go well.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Tiffany C,

We specialize in providing guests with the amenities and service they require for an enjoyable stay at an exceptional rate. In the case of housekeeping, our standard service schedule provides one full housekeeping after every seven days stayed, with the option to purchase additional housekeeping services as desired. Operating our business in this way allows us to continue offering the same great rates to which our guests have become accustomed.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Al and his staff work as a team to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We have been staying here off and on for 18 months due to medical reasons.

They are constantly striving to make your stay better, we've seen many improvements to make your stay better.

Keep up the good work.

We'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Jayhawk79424, I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Al and his team are totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

When all Medical Center hotels were booked up for some reason, I booked a nonsmoking room at this hotel through Travelocity. We needed a reasonably priced room near Texas Children's Hospital. After getting our keys, we went up to the third floor. As soon as the elevator doors opened, the cigarette smell hit you. We were booked into a smoking room, but the desk agent said they had no vacancies and couldn't accommodate nonsmoking requests from third-party trip vendors (lesson learned!).
This room absolutely reeked. Every time the A/C kicked on, the air blew the stench from the drapes. Every time someone rolled over in bed, more stench emanated from the linens. You just never get used to the smell; it woke me in the middle of the night. We all slept in our socks.
We all smelled of smoke for the clinic visit at the hospital the next day and took Silkwood-style showers as soon as we got home. It would have been almost comical (in a severely gross way) if it didn't involve my child.
Worst hotel visit ever. This hotel should have a Surgeon General's warning label on it. I did write to the Extended Stay America CEO to challenge him to spend a night in the room we stayed in.

Room Tip: Perhaps the nonsmoking rooms aren't vile. Don't count on getting a nonsmoking room through a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan C
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Susan C,

Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were dirty, all the lights were on and drawers open. It seemed as though someone ransacked the room. The other room we had was locked from the inside and when we did get in the screen was removed and it to was ransacked. Both rooms had the lived in look. The only bonus was its closeness to the convention centre.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Radioman982
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The condition of both of the rooms you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I hope that you will contact me directly, at HMR@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We just wanted to say "thanks" to Al Garcia and Xavier for the quality of service they provide when we stay at this hotel. We know we can depend on both of them to make special efforts to meet our needs during our stay. We have been staying at this hotel off and on for a few years due to medical reasons (Visiting MD Anderson Cancer Center) and recommend it to others in the same situations. We always receive consistently great service from Al and Xavier, whether on the phone or in person. It is nice being treated as a good customer as well as a friend when going thru difficult medical appointments.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - NRG Park - Braeswood Blvd, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013