“Mold in room made nauceous”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #257 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Dayton, Ohio
“Mold in room made nauceous”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We stayed here as part of a business trip and was not pleased with the room which was musty and smelled of mold. I understand Houston is humid, but the reason this room was bad was throughout the night the air conditioner squelled. When reported to the front desk they said management wasn't availabe at the hotel that day and they would let them know. Never contacted by management even though my husband stays often with this chain for business. The staff were pleasant and the breakfast was good, however, I heard another guest complain that the pool was green! The traffic noise along the highway was loud as well. The parking lot was well lit and security cameras are in place according to the staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Cingplaces

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Washington DC
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I stayed here May 1-5 for a business trip to the Offshore Technology Conference. I don't want to be overly harsh so I'll start with the good.

The rooms were nice, clean and relatively quiet (see AC below). The breakfast spread was the most extensive I've seen at any restaurant (and its free). Pancakes, waffles, biscuits, cereal, fruit, cinnamon rolls--very nice and tasty. The staff seemed friendly and tried to be helpful.

Now for the bad. Admittedly they ticked me off from the get-go when I tried to check in and my room wasn't ready. I wouldn't have been as angry if I hadn't just called that morning to make sure the room would be ready. When I arrived and they said it wasn't available they told me to run the errand I had to run and come back in 10-15 minutes. When I got back they said the room still wasn't ready and wouldn't be ready for another hour. Third time's a charm! When I returned the third time (and hour and a half after I originally arrived) the room was finally ready. They apologized, but didn't do anything to remedy the issue or to make me less angry.

The room: The air conditioning units are extremely noisy and its very hard to regulate the temperature. I also didn't use it one day because the weather was cool, but when I turned it on the next day it smelled moldy. The sink in my bathroom didn't have a drain cover and the water backed up and brought up dirty from the drain hole. It also smelled funny. The throw blanket at the foot of the bed had dirty patches on it, so I assume they don't clean these regularly. My key also stopped working three separate times.

The gym: This was an awful gym. It had a bike, a nordic trak, a treadmill that didn't work and a cheapy eliptical that I also couldn't seem to get working properly. It smelled like cigarette smoke in the gym and I saw a few mosquitos buzzing around. The tv only had about 5 channels that worked.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels

San Antonio
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express HOUSTON HWY 59S/HILLCROFT, for a Thursday & Friday night. I called the hotel & the price they offered was more than their online reservations (which was also cheaper than the so-called “low price” services such as expedia, hotwire, etc.). So, I made the reservation online. Their website said the “king suite” had a pull-out sofa-bed, and that’s what we needed, so I reserved that room with my credit card. The next day, I checked the reservation & found that it had just given us a king room, not a king suite. So, I called the hotel and they changed the reservation after confirming that the king suite room did have the pull-out sofa-bed. We were also told that our room had already been set aside for us, and were given the room number.

The next night when we arrived, we were given a different room. No big deal, we figured it was the same as we had reserved – king suite with pull-out sofa-bed. When we got up to the room, the first thing we did was check to confirm that the sofa pulled-out to a bed. It did not. I went back down to the front desk & was told that none of the rooms have the pull-out sofa-bed. I was also told that the room we had been promised already had someone else in it. I bit my tongue because this clerk had nothing to do with the cluster-mess they had caused us. We have 5 yr old twins (blow up air beds which we always carry) and a 9 yr old daughter who was supposed to sleep on the pull-out sofa-bed. I explained to the clerk that I expected the hotel to adjust the billing, and he said I’d need to speak with one of the managers the next morning.

The next morning, the manager did offer to reduce the price to their “manager’s special” price, but I declined and told them that if I didn’t get what I was promised, then I expected the lowest price they had online, and showed them what it was. They gave it to me. Of course, that did not make our daughter any more comfortable sleeping on a too-short couch or even on a too-short air bed with one of the twins sleeping (tossing & turning & kicking us) on the king bed between my wife & I.

To make matters worse, the fluorescent light over the wet-bar/kitchenette did not work, the toilet seat was very loose, the toilet made a very loud flushing noise that was nothing I’d ever ever heard before, and the coffee maker had no carafe. I had given that list to the night clerk, and again to the manager that first morning, before we left to sight-see for the day. When we got back that evening, the light had been fixed, but nothing else. Since I really prefer to make coffee in the room and drink it while getting the kids (& myself) dressed, I went back down and asked for a carafe, which I was immediately given. The next morning, the light again failed to work & required some turning of the bulb (there was no cover on it) to get it to come on. They never did fix the loose toilet seat, and I fear the next “guest” would fall in.

On the plus side, the staff was nice, and the free breakfast included hot scrambled eggs (probably frozen & re-thawed in the microwave), biscuits, gravy, sausage on Friday morning & bacon on Saturday morning, and fresh pancakes, made by a machine (I prefer the make-them-yourself waffles, but that’s no big deal), and frozen French toast & waffles, along with yogurt, bananas, milk, oj & apple juice – all in all it was not a bad spread, but not enough to make up for the two restless nights because of the lack of the advertised & promised pull-out sofa-bed.

We won’t stay here again. They lied about the sofa-bed, the website was not up-to-date. The hotel claimed that the “newly renovated” rooms did not have the sofa-beds, but our room was far from “newly” renovated, unless they apparently meant sometime last century.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DarkFlame
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I booked this hotel through Hotels.com, I received confirmation numbers from both Hotels.com and Holiday Inn Express.

Tonight, I travelled long way from Houston International Airport to this hotel and hotel told me that all rooms have been over-sold. They didn't say sorry because it is common practice. Instead of giving me a booked room, receptionist gave me a sheet for driving direction to Quality Inn & Suites, that is 20.45 miles from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Booked hotel through Expedia for $56 per night. I chose this hotel based on its close proximity to the PROMETRIC TEST CENTER on Harwin (less than 5 minute drive). Room was clean and comfortable. Also, the hotel appeared to be recently renovated.

No issues with water pressure or hot water in the morning.

Breakfast started at 7:00 am. My test started at 8:00 am. I had plenty of time to have breakfast and drive to the test site.

There was a minor issue with checkout because I wasn't checked in properly. This was resolved with no problem.

Perfect hotel for my overnight stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
texas
Reviewed January 11, 2010

The room was ok, nothing exceptional, fairly clean, room was very small (ok for 2). Breakfast selection is also ok, cereal, beverages, breads and rolls, typical. The only problem was the lady taking care of the breakfast area... very rude, not only to me but to others. The orange juice had ran out, all they had was apple juice (both on the same fountain machine), there was no sign and I didn't know it had ran out, so I try to pour orange juice and there she comes screaming (I'm not exaggerating) that there wasn't anymore orange juice. I was so taken aback that I froze, so she kept screaming: "no orange juice." She did that to a couple more people. Then there was a man with his little daughter and he asked her for something his daughter wanted, she was again very rude and loud: "all we have is here." I don't know if she was having a bad day or if that's just how she is... either way the guests shouldn't have to put up with it. That was a horrible way to start the day.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveller101Texas
Hudson Valley
Reviewed December 20, 2008

I stayed here for 2 weeks December 08. Upon checking in I was told that there may be some minor Hurricane Ike damage in the room, but if it bothered me, I could switch to another room.

The room had a piece of drywall cut out on the bottom of a wall near a window, with plastic sheeting covering it, but it was not a problem.

The room was always clean, the bed comfortable. The wireless internet was very good save for one night for some reason.

Unlike may of the HIEs I have stayed at, this one had 2 elevators, which is always a plus... maybe because this was was 5 floors it had to have more than one.

Breakfast was the usual HIE fare....reasonably good, though no waffle maker as some have there.

The staff was always friendly, accomodating and helpful. The location was uff of US59, so it was convenient to get many places. The area is many typical off highway, with stores nearby, with fastfood near to the hotel.

Good place to stay at a reasonable price. Not fancy, but comfortable & clean.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business