Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Houston
Ranked #213 of 516 Hotels in Houston
Richardson, Texas
“Meh”
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

You get what you pay for--in this case not much. The room was SMALL and dark. Overall, the motel is dingy and cramped. The pool looked grimy. It was cheap and cheap is what we got. It is located right across the road from NASA, and close to everything in the Kemah are. But, next time I would pay a bit more to stay at a nicer place.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Saginaw, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Me and my son stayed 3 nights, The rooms were a little small but very clean and really comfy beds. The location was wonderful. The staff was super nice and had great suggestions on what to do in town. The pool was clean and very relaxing.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Fort Worth
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We found a very cheap "discount senior rate" at this hotel when looking for a place near Kemah. The location was close enough, but you really do get what you pay for. First impression: the pool was so small and the hotel seemed old. The lady at the desk was very nice. She assigned us a room and when when we got into the elevator it was very smelly. The second floor ceiling tiles looked terrible and the smell of old musty smoke lingered down the hall and into our room. The room smelled like a smoking room so I called and asked. She said it was not. The room was outdated (except for a flatscreen TV, fridge, and microwave that seemed newer). The countertop was stained, the tile grout was stained, the walls had been painted but they painted right over outlets and towel racks, etc...it just looked kinda gross. We went to the desk and she offered us another room on the first floor. It smelled better but was noisy and had an old box TV in the corner on top of the closet. We passed. She offered another room on the third floor. It smelled much better but was older with the big box TV too, so we just stayed where we were and used a plug-in to hide the smoke odor. I saw another hotel guest in the elevator carrying a bottle of glade spray and I asked her if her room smelled bad too...she said yes. The free breakfast is horrible. The first morning, there were 3 mini crockpots filled with round egg omelet things that were dry and burned. The next day, there was nothing hot except waffles. They had basic stuff like cereal, bagels, toast, and some yogurt. There was no fresh fruit and no juice. The room was really small so what we did take, we took back to the room. I heard barking dogs at least twice, and housekeeping came very early the first day. We had to ask her to come back later. I don't consider myself a "hotel snob" and since there are 5 in our family, I love a good deal. This is NOT it...keep looking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Houston, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I apologize for your less than satisfactory stay. Since we do have smoking rooms in the hotel, sometimes smoke does travel in the hallway. We do have a completely non-smoking 3rd floor, and are also looking for ways to separate the two room types. Our hotel is in the process of getting flat screen tv's for all rooms. Please give us another chance in your future trip to the area. - Nizar GM
Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I chose this hotel "despite" the other reviews as we really wanted it for location across from the NASA Space Center. Yes the location is ideal. Also a short drive to the Kemah boardwalk.
We stayed 2 dreadful nights here.
Night #1 -- started out not so bad -- the room was ok (1st floor), the hall smelled and my son pointed out that some fo the room on the other side were "smoking rooms" thus I figured contributed the to the smell. The room was clean, the A/C, TV and fridge worked. The back entry to the hotel was a concern as it didn't close properly and anyone could walk in if people don't shut it correctly. All was well..until 3:48 am and I hear a Big Foot Convention or Stampede in the room above. Just when you think it would stop, then someone would be running around or heavy stepping/jumping around the room. Finally by 5:30, I called the front desk (no answer), got dressed and walked down there -- only to find out that there are kids/teens in that room and they are staying another night.
Night #2 -- We were given the option to move to a different room down the hall -- so we did or put up with possible no sleep again. (why couldn't they move the teens?). Anyway this next room had a stain on carpet, smaller refrigerator, no coffee maker, the toilet won't flush properly, but we figured since it was our last night, we'll put up with it. Then we are about to go to bed and the DEAD BOLT won't work!! ..Too late to move now and again with the Back entry to the hotel not closing properly this is now an unsafe place to stay.
We told the front desk about this and hopefully will get some discount back on our credit card for the crap we put up with -- I'll be checking on that this week.
I don't think I've ever stayed in a worse hotel and would rather spend extra $ just to make sure I have a room with a door that has a dead bolt lock.

1 Thank Dino_Rose
I want to apologize for the unpleasant experience you had at our hotel. Due to our proximity to the space center, we host many school groups that attend space camp. Sometimes these groups can be a bit noisy but everyone at the front desk is trained to ensure we try to keep the noise levels to a minimum. I also do apologize for the other room issues and we are taking steps to fix these now. Your room was given a refund that should have posted to your credit card. I hope you will give us another chance in the future. - Nizar GM
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I left this establishment disturbed and very surprised at management's response to strange noises, doors slamming. I had a room on the first floor with a connecting door to another room. The guests in the next room were constantly playing with the door in what I assumed was an attempt to enter my room. I went to the front desk and asked if there was a problem. Their response was "they felt the room was too small" and decided to move. However, throughout the night the "guests" continued to fidget with the door, slam doors and knock on my walls.

I decided to leave and was told that no one has been in my neighboring room at all. Very strange. They also told me the hotel was full and had no other available room. It was far from the truth as the parking lot was completely empty.

It was the strangest hotel experience I've ever had. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jjrobshaw
NizarK786, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Houston, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
I apologize for the less than satisfactory experience you had at our hotel. Please know that we strive to ensure that all guests have a positive experience at our hotel and we will do everything we can to continuously strive for customer satisfaction. I will speak with the manager on duty during your stay to ensure we communicate properly with our guests and to attend to any issues right away. - Nizar GM
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This microtel sits across from the space center location. You could technically just walk but judging by the attitude of Texans for driving everywhere, you won't see folks walking. The rooms are very nicely staged along with a microwave and a small fridge in our suite room.

I've read the reviews here and people expect a setting of a Hilton in a Micrtotel. Let's be real folks, you aren't paying $200 a night here, if you have that kind of money, feel free to drive a mile ahead and stay at the Hilton. The microtel has everything we required. They served a complimentary breakfast till 9.30 every morning. Provided us with toiletries anytime we needed it. Front staff were very courteous and friendly. They even provided us with iron board and an iron.

There is a Luby's cafeteria within the same block where Microtel and they share the same parking lot. Also, CVS is right across to the right and 24hrs if you forgot to bring anything during your trip. There is also a Walgreens but it's before you get on the newly built Nasa parkway.

For java lovers, there is a starbucks in a nearby plaza right before Extended America suites which is also nearby. Subway and couple of oriental restaurants serving buffets and gourmet Chinese food are all nearby.

In all we had a great vacation and experience during our Houston trip. The nearest mall (Baybrook Mall) is only a 10 min drive when you cross the I-45 bridge. Very conveniently located near the Webster/Clearlake area. League City is only 15 min drive.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank SoCal786
I thank you very much for your positive comments regarding your stay at our hotel. It is always refreshing to hear positive reviews and also provides the motivation for our staff to keep up the good work and ensure every guest has a good experience. Once again, I appreciate the feedback. - Nizar -GM
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I don't know where the other reviewers stayed but our experience was great. Our room was clean, spacious, and had a mircowave and refrigerator. There were NO bugs of any kind and the whole place was recently remodeled. Breakfast was available and did include eggs and waffles. The staff was friendly and even the shampoo and soaps were high quality. We would stay there again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler0264
I appreciate your comments regarding the stay. All feedback is important to us but we do appreciate it when guests go out of their way to share their positive experiences with us. We will continue to do everything we can to ensure we provide the same great experience to all our guests. Once again, thank you. - Nizar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Clear Lake
TownePlace Suites Houston Clear Lake

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Houston? Share your experiences!