“Very Houston!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas, United States
“Very Houston!”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The vibe of the hotel was pretty special. Very Houston/Texan but contemporary. If I could live there, I would! The A/C wasn't working in my room when I arrived and they promptly had it fixed which was imperative since I was in the middle of curling my hair. Everyone was very nice and helpful; the bar was fun; the food was great! Probably one of the best things about Hotel Derek is location. So close to soooooo many restaurants and bars utiziling the shuttle, walking or taking a taxi.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
We love that you’ve made Hotel Derek your home away from home! When are you returning – we miss you already! Thank you for the kind comments.

Live Well,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed for four nights, very nice ambience. Very enjoyable stay.

The decorating is unique, modern and interesting; both in the common areas and in my room (#310). I wouldn't say elegant as much as modern and sort of funky. Interesting pattern on the fabrics, interesting textures In a word; enjoyable. To me, the devil is in the details, and the team that decorated this facility did so with a deft hand. The details like the light fixtures, window treatments, the art - both traditional and non-traditional, the floor coverings, the furniture and the glasses in the bar, are interesting. Interesting in a very good way, both visually and texturally. I liked the roller shade in the room; very functionally effective and cool tool.

Thoughtful and courteous desk staff. Best breakfast bar I've had in some time. The breakfast wait staff was outstanding. Housekeeping was very good.

Nice touches like the personal information of the desk attendant posted on the desk, a full-length mirror when you step out of the elevator, and interesting music playing in the background. I'd be interested to know what the Pandora channel search criteria was, because you'd not find a mix that good on any radio station.

It was too cool to swim while I was there, but the pool area looks very nice. A plush astro-turf and large chaise lounges made me wish it was warmer. An old John Wayne movie ('The Alamo' maybe?) was playing on a large wall above the pool.

Barn-door style sliding door on the bathroom in my room was a nice touch, although the mechanism had been damaged slightly and was difficult to close. One other minor flaw, the bathroom tub faucet dripped and could not be stopped. The tub faucet / spigot assembly felt like it was not secure behind the wall. Beyond that, the shower worked well.

The bed was comfortable and the HVAC was quiet and effective. The elevators were quick and they require the use of your room key to access the guest rooms for security, which is a very nice feature. There is a very nice bar, and the staff was very good.

It's about $70 by cab fare from the airport and there is no shuttle, but I suppose that can't be helped.

I realize that I may have over-used the words 'unique' and 'interesting', but Hotel Derek is unique, interesting, and enjoyable. I got a very decent rate, which made it a good value as well.

It is many little details that differentiate one facility from another and create a ‘feel’, and this one, to me, is funky, modern, unique and enjoyable. I travel to Houston several time each year, and look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
We are so thrilled to hear that Hotel Derek was able to impress you in every possible way during your last visit with us. In regards to the shuttle, our chauffeured car service is available to all our guests within 3-mile radius to enjoy the very hip and happening places in the area. We hope to see you soon in couple months when the weather warms up so that you can enjoy swimming with the movie wall.

johnson city tx
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This hotel was booked by my Chicago travel agent for Business travel and to be near the Galleria area. Solicitations were made in broad day light while I waited in the front of hotel for my co worker to pick me up and every evening of my stay (three nights), I was approached and witnessed other guests experiencing inappropriate solicitations. I brought up this problem with the bartender after one solicitation took place after he had been engaging in a conversation with the solicitor before she approached me of this problem and he stated- he did not see this as a problem. The harassing solicitations were disruptive to casual business conversations in the bar and very concerning for all guests overall safety. The hotel appears upscale as many very expensive vehicles come in and out of the valet. The room was comfortable but nothing that would warrant a return or recommendation. There are many other Galleria hotels to choose from. Derek management should address this as a serious issue.

1 Thank tina m
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Tina, we appreciate you taking the time to share this experience with us. We are very surprised to learn of your encounter – I can assure you that your experience is not a proper reflection of Hotel Derek nor would this situation be deemed acceptable had it been brought to our attention.

Please contact me directly so I can gain more specific information from you to then identify such situations and prevent them from occurring in future?

Live Well,

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I've stayed here SEVERAL times and the newest employee there over concierge is an outstanding gentlemen! I met him about 2 months ago and he makes guests feel welcomed just as the lobby and wonderful happy hour offered here. I look forward to returning to this location again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
You must be referring to Jim Carey – he certainly is our local celebrity! Thank you for your kind words – I know I speak for Jim when I say that we look forward to your return!

Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

The building, the interior, the employee's, this hotel was very elegant. I enjoyed my stay & the amenities. If my room was standard it was the largest & most modern. Hanging in the lobby w/ other guests having drinks was sweet.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
It’s all about enjoying your time when traveling and we are glad that you did just that during your stay at Hotel Derek! Cocktails are always sweet, we agree, hope you enjoyed our famous Lady Derek too. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

From the time I arrived I wasn't happy due to the fact that nobody at the valet stand greeted me upon arrival (yet they ran to a Mercedes-Benz behind me). The only thing that was pleasant was the scent as I walked in the lobby and the night auditor.

The glasses in the bathroom were dirty and the towels had just been thrown wherever, so it didn't appear that the room had been serviced. Since I needed to take a quick trip to CVS across the street anyways I opted to purchase multi-purpose cleaner to clean the gritty bathtub. As I used the tiny bathroom to take a shower, I found out that I was taking a bath as well. The draining system was obviously backed up and I had water up to my ankles as I showered. Needless to say, my shower was cut short because I nearly slipped twice.

As I got into the bed (which looked like more of a queen than a king), I rolled the covers back only to find strand upon strand of long, curly hair. This led me to believe that the linens weren't cleaned, so I slept on the couch-like bench that lined the window of the grand view of CVS.

I didn't bother to grab the key to the minibar or even turn on the 27-32" television. I was too frustrated about having to clean up and make due that I couldn't relax. I think it goes without saying, but Hotel Derek definitely wouldn't be on my list of hotels to patronize on my next trip to Houston.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Danielle H
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Entering the hotel is pleasant, and the staff is courteous. Having a concierge available was particularly helpful to me. However, when you get to the room, things slide a bit and the hotel shows it's real age. Both the sink and tub drains were slow. The sink had a crack in it. There aren't any arm chairs, rather there is a bench seat along the wall under the windows. Not that comfortable.
The bed is platform style, and I missed the box spring. The breakfast buffet costs too much and is not particularly memorable, although the artisan breads were good.

All in all, this hotel would be vary good as a mid priced chain hotel, but suffers compared to other luxury brands.