“great room”

Hotel Derek Houston Galleria
Ranked #139 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip to Houston.
We were upgraded to a beautiful suite..2 bathrooms ,nice sitting room..really a very nice quiet room away from the highway.
The bed was comfortable.
The room was clean.
The staff was very friendly.
I'd just like free breakfast but I really can't complain about anything.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor away from the highway
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Only stayed 1 night, but the hotel stay was lovely. We stayed on the 15th floor (top floor) and had a wonderful view of downtown Houston. The room is quite lovely! Really liked the window seat the width of the room,. It made it very easy to keep suitcases open for use and no need to unpack.
We were attending a private party in the River Oaks area and the shuttle took us and picked us up after the event. That was quite nice.
The location is right off the Loop, so very easy to find.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us at Hotel Derek! We are so pleased that you enjoyed the view from your room and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here when I came to Houston for a celebration. This hotel was recommended by my friends. It has a beautiful entrance .... Made me feel great as I drove in well past midnight on the night of my checkin. It's a 20-min drive from Houston Hobby Airport (HOU). The hotel reminds me of the W in San Francisco. The room was awesome. Free wifi. Awesome restaurant - for breakfast steel-cut oats was in the buffet, for dinner seared scallops was incredible .....
Pick this hotel if you can get the one-hundred-per-night rate :)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

We love to hear that you enjoyed the arrival experience at the newly renovated Hotel Derek! Definitely suggest that you come see us again soon, as we’re enhancing our menus and keeping them fresh with a seasonal rotation which you’re sure to enjoy again.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I had a problem with the room. Amanda at front desk resolved everything graciously to my satisfaction. Good employees can make or break and operation and this is the kind of employee I would want on staff.

Room Tip: I've stayed in hotels world wide from 3rd world countries to one of the top rated hotels in the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bruce S
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for recognizing our fantastic team at Hotel Derek! We are proud of associates like Amanda and we are glad that she was able to assist you and ensure your stay was most enjoyable. Look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Derek very soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel three times for three nights at a time, and last time was the last! I visit Houston once a year, and have finally taken my business elsewhere and am so glad I did. I would recommend you shop around and try to avoid this place.... the staff seem very "fake" and not genuine in their persona. The restaurant/bar staff are also very false and when I was served I felt like they were reading lines they memorized- not actually caring about if everything WAS ok or not. The rooms are very tired and dated, and not in a pleasant retro way, I mean they are very "old fashioned" and have not been updated since I first went here about 10 years ago! Nothing has changed! Bar area has no dress code requirements, which I found a little off-putting, as there were girls in denim shorts and t-shirt walking in at happy hour.... this would not happen at other establishments. The main reason for my complaints is because the pricing is very, very top dollar! There are so many other great hotels in Houston at this price and offer so much more in every way! If this place were cheaper, I may stay again, but as it is, the place is just overpriced. Breakfast is also ridiculous in price - something like $15 for fruit granola yogurt - seriously?? I could walk down the street to a cafe and get this for $2, not to mention the 20% service charge on top plus the tray service of $2.50 each time... so breakfast for one ends up being over $25 for yogurt and tea.... what a joke. Try including a continental breakfast maybe? It's called GOOD SERVICE - learn about it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback with us from your recent stay. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly, as it is our top priority to exceed your expectations and provide a home-away-from-home whilst you are in Houston.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Went here for a 5 year anniversary "staycation". Hotel was nice upon arrival. Had to wait a few minutes to be checked in. Was on the 14th floor with an east (downtown) view. The view was alright with a lot of construction to view. I paid good money for this "4 star" hotel. I booked online through the hotel website and added champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Got to my room and they weren't there. Had to call the front desk to remind them then it took them an hour to bring them up (total mood killer). Valet parking is $30.00/per night (ridiculous for the average nightly rate for room). I have stayed at the St. Regis before and don't remember paying for valet, just a tip, and there was ice in a bucket for the mini bar when we got to our room at st. Regis.

I did not let these incidents ruin my evening. I brought everything up when I checked out and the girl who checked me out did not care at all or offer anything to try and make me happy.

I would not stay at Hotel Derek again. Plenty of other 4 and 5 star hotels in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Good hotel, friendly staff.
Close the the Galleria mall.
The hotel has a nice and modern feel.

Unfortunately I got a room with a connecting door (which I hate) despite asking in my reservation for a room without one.
Also they only have valet-parking.

Otherwise a great stay at a good price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Greatly appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. We do offer a self-parking along with valet-parking. Come back and visit us soon.