“Great location, average room”

Hotel Derek Houston Galleria
Ranked #142 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked this room thru Expedia.com for $99, which is a great rate for the location. The lobby area of the hotel is pretty nice. The rooms are more of a boutique type hotel. We usually stay at Hilton or Hampton Inn and compared to these hotels the rooms are pretty small. The sink in the restroom took up most of the counter space. I barely had room to put my makeup bag, which is pretty small. The bathtub was small and while taking a shower the water drain very slow, so by the time I was done with my showers (which are fairly quick) the water was above my ankles. The towels also smelled bad, like a musty smell. Also, the bathroom door was a sliding door, which was a little strange. We arrived back after a Saturday night out at 3 am and our neighbors were arguing and the security and HPD came up and took care of the incident asap.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mxlovers

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel Derek in Houston, Texas.

The hotel is clean, has a lounge atmosphere and pricing is reasonable. I was there for business for 5 nights and it was very comfortable.

The breakfast in the Valentino restaurant in the lobby,"a la carte" or buffet was amazing. Everything you can think of for breakfast, they had.

On the minus side, the Internet was slow and sometimes not workable. Not good when it is a business trip. I called to get a cable thinking it might be better but never got anything.

The hotel is far from downtown, a $25 ride in taxi. That being said, you will find nice restaurants nice by and a huge shoping center (Galleria Shoping Center) just a few blocks away.

I would not return to this hotel for business because of the Internet was not reliable.

Room Tip: I am not sure there are better rooms as the view is either on the highway or on other building.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank clippe
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

We so appreciate you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Derek! We are currently working on increasing our wireless internet connection. When its completed, it will be lighting fast! We hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Spent two nights at Hotel Derek and will definitely be back. The hotel needs some updating, especially in the bathroom, but you won't find another full service hotel in the Galleria for the same price. I read a number of negative reviews on the valet parking, but I didn't have any problems. We valet quite a bit and I didn't think the nightly rate was overpriced. We called the valet before heading downstairs and never waited more than a few minutes for our car.

Derek management,

Update your bathrooms and I'll give you five stars. Either way, we will be back. Thanks for an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BUBear99
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference that was held at the George Brown convention center. The drive to the conference was about 30 min each way.

Location - not close to downtown, there is a little plaza across the street with a CVS and a restaurant. There is a mall close by as well.

Room - good sized, very modern decor and very quiet. The water in the room is $7 so stop by the CVS and pick up one for less than $2

Restaurant - I had breakfast there twice, once from the menu which I don't recommend. It was slow and overpriced and not that great. The second time I had the continental buffet which was $12 and there are lots of choices which I would recommend. I also had dinner there once with 2 others and we all thought the meal was good (but more expensive than you would expect).

Starbucks outlet - there is a Starbucks outlet in this hotel but the coffee is not good, the medium is $4 and it is very weak. I would recommend finding your coffee elsewhere. The staff at the coffee bar isn't overly friendly either.

Decor - the hotel has modern feel with a Texas twist, cow's grazing on monitors in the lobby, cow pictures in the room - the more you look the more you see

All and all a good hotel just not a great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lilly_travelling_cat
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

We so appreciated having the opportunity to host you and your colleagues for the Microsoft Conference! While we are not located downtown, we hope that you were able to enjoy the very cool spots and buzzing nightlife of Houston’s famous Galleria! Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, it is from guests like you that we continue to improve and introduce new services. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I wanted to try this hotel because I have heard good things from my friends and needed a place for me and my husband to come after our wedding. I called the hotel and was about to speak to an in-house reservation agent, which is always better than someone who is outside the hotel, named Benji. He was very nice and after I explained why I was coming he was able to upgrade me to a room with a balcony! I also wanted to have some strawberries and champagne upon our arrival after the ceremony and he transferred me to the concierge Kat. She was so bubbly and sweet and was able to take my order and said that she will take care of everything for my special night. When we arrived to the hotel I had forgotten it was valet only, but it was not to overpriced, they valet attendants were very nice and friendly. At the desk I was checked in by Derek at the front desk. I had to stop and laugh a little! But, he was so kind and made me feel at home and said "congratulations Mrs. Davis we are glad to have you stay with us". First, I was shocked he knew my name and second I had not had that in a hotel before! We got checked in and everything was perfect! My amenity was in the room and I heard it had been newly updated and it was perfect.

Overall, my stay with the Hotel Derek was one I will not forget! I told all my friends and will make sure I get people to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank June D
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

So excited to learn that you finally decided to stay with us at Hotel Derek. We really loved reading your comments and sharing them with our cool team. We look forward to having you back soon and sharing the hospitality with you and your friends!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This past weekend we went to Houston for my daughter's birthday. We stayed one night at Hotel Derek. The staff was so nice and made us feel welcome. The room was large and comfortable. There were snacks and water in the room but very pricey. My only other complaint was the $28 fee for required valet parking. We have stayed at another boutique hotel in the area & parking was free. That being said, the valet service was excellent. We may stay there again but I'm not sure.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank julntx
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Some hotels attempt to replicate the old world style with the likes of Corinthian columns draped in posh velvet's etc…but this is not the case in Hotel Derek. The décor is refreshingly modern and the attention to detail is evident.
My wife from Italy said it best, “I've been surrounded by antique buildings all my life, so this is what I look for when I travel.”
Only thing missing for Derek is a better view outside- adjacent to the 610 Loop there isn't much to see, but for the Houston Galleria area it’s as good as it gets.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ARMtotheT
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

We love to receive reviews like yours at Hotel Derek – thank you! We are really thrilled with the new décor and stylish vibe and very happy that it struck a chord with you and your wife.