“Talk About Over Achievers”

Hotel Derek Houston Galleria
Ranked #136 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

You pull up to this hotel and you know there is something very special about it! After traveling 4 hours in the rain from Dallas Ft. Worth to Houston for work, I was very tired and I only had a couple of hours before I had to facilitate a meeting!! Thank Goodness for Tu who was at the front desk, although I wasn't able to check in early as they just had a large party arrive right before me, I was able to get checked in and get a room that I wanted when it became available. Tu let me know that the luxurious ladies rooms in the lounge would allow me privacy to change from my traveling clothes to professional sassy! These bathrooms were awesome!! Once I got to my room I didn't want to leave as it was amazing as well! So modern and chick. I did leave to head into the restaurant to get something to eat. There I was greeted and waited on by Melina, she provided awesome service and the lobster Mac n cheese was again.... Amazing!!!! To cap off the night I had a Derek Mojito one of the best I have ever had. Why would I stay anywhere else in the city after staying at Hotel Derek, everything else would just be uncivilized!!!

Room Tip: Even if no rooms are available check in early and give your preference on a room. 9th floor no compl...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Shawn G, Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

I enjoyed reading your review and will let Tu and Melina know that their services left you impressed!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Derek Houston Galleria

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Traveled to Houston for a wedding that was at The Derek. The hotel was chosen becuase of the great wedding rates, and location.

Great location, but traffic was rediculous all weekend because of The Galleria which was kiddy corner from the Hotel. (It took nearly 30 minutes just to get from the parking lot of the Galleria, to the hotel, because the main street, Westhiemer, get's severely backed up)

Upon check in, a few bellhops in particular, seemed a bit unexperienced, and maybe even under the influence of something, but the management and front desk were superb! They had mentioned that they were bought out 6 months ago by a Hotel Chain and went over some renovations.

When we walked in the room, I was very impress by the moderness, cleanliness, and overall layout of the room. However, you can sense there are certain areas that weren't as touched up as nicely as they could be, but it wasn't enough to overlook the moderness of the room.

After going out for dinner, I noticed when we got back, we had a tray of Chocolate covered strawberries and a letter signed from the management, saying thanks and welcome. Our room was also cleaned up a bit, from the short time we had when we checked in. Definitely was a nice suprising gesture.

Didn't get to check out many other ammenties in the Hotel, but the Ballroom was very modern and nice looking, and the Pool (pretty small) was in this outdoor enclosed area, with a waterfall.

Valet and pullup area gets rather crazy, because there is only 1 lane for any cars to get thru. But they try hard encouraging you to call ahead for your car (if they even pick up the phone), but it's only a 10 min max wait either way. $27 per day parking with unlimited ins/outs.

Room Tip: East faces Downtown Houston (the hotel lies in a town outside of Downtown) West faces the Galleria a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank djrex
Reviewed May 7, 2013

It's been quite a while since I stayed at the Derek. What the hell happened? The hotel used to have a beautiful sleek look, now looks like a yard sale gone wrong. All kinds of styles of junk/items placed every where in the lobby area.
The rooms are color challenged and don't make sense, hot pink w browns and orange.
The parking attendants, if you want to call them that are useless. Several times when my car was brought around they had the driveway blocked both directions. The only one that seemed to know what was going on was a young lady, and many times it was as if she was working alone.
I think next time I will stay else where in Houston.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Duke202
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

We appreciate the feedback. We have been working with Dallas based design firm FlickMars to introduce bold textures and colors to our space to bring it to a place pf leading design with an emphasis on a bold, Texas-chic look.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This place is great, chic, nice staff, cetral location, and nice amenities. It has a boutique feel and is a nice change from the chains. Highly recommended. I have not experienced the spa, but the restaurant, bar, and workout facilities all fit the parameters of two thumbs up.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

We recently renovated all of our meeting spaces- we'd love to host your meetings here at the hotel next time you come to Houston for business!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Hotel Derek is a very chic hotel, the decor is nice the rooms were spacious. The galleria mall is whithn walking distance. Customer Service was good. The lady at the front desk the lady name was Jeanne, we laughed at the pronunication of her name shes from new orleans. When I lost my key to my room they were thorough enough to make sure that I was who I said I was. My room was neat and clean.

Here comes my BUT.....Valet was horrible! I called the valet everytime before i would come out of my room.to get my car. I guess they thought I shouldnt be driving a car like that because they tried to give my car to someone else..One night I came back late I dont know if the some high school students were having a party or something it took them thirty min. for them to get my car. They were under staff that night but tried to make the difference the saturday I left...

Room Tip: I always aske for the corner rooms on whichever floor Im on.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Really sorry that you were made to wait for your car. We would love the opportunity to make it up to you- please let us know when you come again. We're excited to announce that will also be introducing a self parking option later this summer!

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This is not a cookie cutter chain hotel. It is one of a kind and it is wonderful. The staff is intuitive they anticipate your needs. They are friendly and polite. I went here on Buisness but it was a pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2013
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Well said, John. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you next time your travels bring you back to Houston.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

It's not part of a huge chain of hotels, may not have miles awards, but guess what, I really enjoyed it. It was modern, the room was big and very well furnished, the bar was manned by friendly staff.... so, I found it quite good. The fact that it is so close to Sullivans, where I found a great atmosphere and superb steaks, made it even more ok.
Breakfast was good, could be better, a couple of morning the waiters seemed to be overwhelmed but the room was not that full....
Only negative point: the gym: small, and with two equipment not working, which is not good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business