“Had an excellent stay...BUT”

Hotel Derek Houston Galleria
Ranked #113 of 510 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas
“Had an excellent stay...BUT”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Hotel Derek is a very chic hotel, the decor is nice the rooms were spacious. The galleria mall is whithn walking distance. Customer Service was good. The lady at the front desk the lady name was Jeanne, we laughed at the pronunication of her name shes from new orleans. When I lost my key to my room they were thorough enough to make sure that I was who I said I was. My room was neat and clean.

Here comes my BUT.....Valet was horrible! I called the valet everytime before i would come out of my room.to get my car. I guess they thought I shouldnt be driving a car like that because they tried to give my car to someone else..One night I came back late I dont know if the some high school students were having a party or something it took them thirty min. for them to get my car. They were under staff that night but tried to make the difference the saturday I left...

Room Tip: I always aske for the corner rooms on whichever floor Im on.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Really sorry that you were made to wait for your car. We would love the opportunity to make it up to you- please let us know when you come again. We're excited to announce that will also be introducing a self parking option later this summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This is not a cookie cutter chain hotel. It is one of a kind and it is wonderful. The staff is intuitive they anticipate your needs. They are friendly and polite. I went here on Buisness but it was a pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Well said, John. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you next time your travels bring you back to Houston.
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed April 26, 2013

It's not part of a huge chain of hotels, may not have miles awards, but guess what, I really enjoyed it. It was modern, the room was big and very well furnished, the bar was manned by friendly staff.... so, I found it quite good. The fact that it is so close to Sullivans, where I found a great atmosphere and superb steaks, made it even more ok.
Breakfast was good, could be better, a couple of morning the waiters seemed to be overwhelmed but the room was not that full....
Only negative point: the gym: small, and with two equipment not working, which is not good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York City
Reviewed April 25, 2013

After a couple of years a return to this hotel that use to be a favorite. Some redecoration - fine - but what happen to the hospitality? Total indifference from everyone - no smiles, greetings, hellos. The the valets on the drive way were the worse - simply stood by - whether the drive way was jammed with cars in all directions not taking control. Or worse, twice when we came out after calling for the car to find it sitting by itself at the end of the driveway by the restaurant and 3 attendants simply staring at us and handing us the key - for us to walk the distance to get our own car. Really poor. The whole service was just none existent. Housekeeping forgot to service our room one day. I called two days in a row to Front Desk try to get a bathrobe and got the same "hmm, OK, right" and hang up - needless to say, no robe ever appeared. REALLY POOR SERVICE!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Reservation was for two days, City View. I only stayed one. I used to love this hotel, but I would never stay there again & I would never recommend for anyone else to stay there.

Upon check-in, at 5pm, front desk clerk was so rude I wanted to just walk right back out, but I decided to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt and stay.
When I got to my room's floor they had dirty sheets in the hallway & a food tray that stayed there until at-least 10pm.
I left the hotel and when I arrived back at 8:00pm housekeeping was in my room & couldn't actually say why. I had just checked in at 5pm... Privacy violation!!!
The bathroom door was a sliding door that did not lock, it actually didn't even close all of the way. The shower head was messed up and was shooting water everywhere. Messed my hair up, luckily I was able to get it done the next day.
Lamp in my room didn't work, which left the room rather dark.
They charged me 25.00 to use a microwave & were going to even charge me to use a spoon.
When I went down to cancel the 2nd night on my reservation, the actual manager was rude for no reason. I was only trying to inform her, ask her the steps I needed to follow, and to let her know I was willing to pay for any cancellation fees.
Upon check-out Concierge never came to get my things even after calling for 50 minutes and walking to the front twice. I ended up having to bring my own luggage down.
POSITIVES: They did accommodate my 5pm check-in. The guy manager on the late night shift was very nice and very helpful with my cancellation.

There are plenty of other hotel in the same area, at the same or even better rates, with nicer rooms, and better guest service.! I would recommend going with one of those.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Northridge
Reviewed April 23, 2013

During check in, clearly specified that the billl will be paid by the Company that I was in town to visit. They verified that the Company's credit card was on file but they still insisted that I provide my personal credit card for incidentals. Although I did not charge any thing to my room, they double billed my credit card and the Company's credit card. Been trying to reach the manager to provide comments and register a complaint but he has not bothered to call back. The staff were extremely rude as well. Will never stay at Hotel Derek again and warn all customers to beware.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you can. Filty hotel and rude staff.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Very nice. Stayed in the executive suite. Great size nice view from balcony and bed was very comfortable. Staff was also very nice and accomodating. I checked in at 11am without a problem.Next time I stay I will most definitely book the presidential suite.

• Stayed April 2013
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience. Let us know when you plan to come back, we'd love to have you in the Presidential Suite!