“It was ok..but”

Hotel Derek Houston Galleria
Ranked #137 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I got a deal from Priceline. I asked for 4 stars and offered 60. I got this hotel,and I thought,ok,it is close to the Galleria,but has valet parking..hmmm. Well,through Priceline there are no refunds so ,we checked in. It was VERY busy,and i did not like the idea of relinquishing my new car to the valet,but had no choice. Check in was ok, i had t stand there for a few minutes while the people at the desk finished their personal conversation. There was a wedding scheduled for that weekend,so people were coming in and out of the lobby constantly.
We got our room,and had asked for a room away from the hwy because previous comments here about traffic noise.
The bed was comfortable,and the room seemed clean. I did see a woman check in with a little dog,and I guess pets are accepted,and I did catch a whiff of doggie shampoo in our room,but it was very slight. If you have allergies to dogs,you might want to take that into consideration.
I asked the maid down the hall if the duvets were changed after every guest,and she said no,just when they looked dirty. I tipped her to bring me a clean one. All that is changed in most hotels are sheets and pillowcases. The inside blanket and comforter and mattress cover stay through guest after guest until they are considered dirty. (Whenever the H... that is!)
The room was very basic otherwise,with expensive candy bars(3.00), and 7.00 bottle of water.
What I found to be most of a problem to be honest,was the valet parking. You COULD walk to a cafe behind the parking garage behind the hotel,but it was 98 degrees outside. You had to tip your valet to get your car,tip them to park your car,and hope the didn't dent or scratch it. I also went to the Galleria through their courtesy shuttle,and felt I had to tip him also. Now that may have been worth the tip because he happened to be dropping off guests when I was ready to go back. I had looked forward to going to the Galleria,but the crush of people made it almost impossible to shop. I don't know if is like that every weekend,but it was insane.

Would I stay here again? NO. I will have to forego Priceline and maybe pay a little more to get free parking and maybe a free breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,338)

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Initially, I was quite concerned about this hotel because of the reviews I read but my stay was wonderful and exceeded all expectations. The location is great and very easy to find. I don't know how people could be confused by the entrance as it's pretty intuitive. The price for valet parking is reasonable compared to other major metropolitan hotels.

The room was very comfortable and decent size with a large laptop sized hotel safe. The decor was modern and nice flat screen TV with iPod dock on the bedside table. My only complaint with the set-up was the lack of outlets next to the bed and dim bedside lamp for reading.

Most major hotel chains don't offer free internet unless you're an elite member so I'm always pleasantly surprised when free internet access is offered. It's not the fastest service ever but then I usually don't expect this at any hotel. It was fast enough to check emails and do some browsing. When traveling, I don't expect to be able to watch streaming video or download anything on my laptop.

I'm not a light sleeper so I opted for the room with a "view" (haha!) of the freeway and Galleria. You can hear some noises but really not that bad. They did offer me the quieter side as an option.

In addition to being located near the freeway onramp, it's very convenient to the Galleria and the museum district--an easy drive to the world famous Menil Collection on surface streets. Overall, a lovely stay and I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Price was a steal and was pleased with the nicely/simply decorated rooms and the small and cozy lobby. Staff were very nice and welcoming and did their best to accommodate my needs.The only downside was that there was no escape from valet and no personal parking offered. So if you are sensitive towards giving your "personal" car to valet then you will have an issue here. But overall, it was a nice experience compared to rest in the area

Room Tip: better sleep in rooms not overlooking westhimer st or 610 loop
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Great location, restaurant a little over price but nice. Housekeeping may get better sometimes my shower was not cleaned and my desk was not organized.
For a hotel of this price range the service and the concierge can be much better.
Rooms are nice and pool area as well. Internet service is bad

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Derek at the beginning of June. The stay was pleasant and the staff was nice. Very busy area, but not bad for the price.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a nice looking Hotel and Bar on the outside buy the parking is pandemonium!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I asked a few trustworthy reviewers, some of whom live in Houston, for hotel recommendations. When they asked what I was looking for, I told them I was looking for a boutique hotel (I'm always a fan of those), with a contemporary feel, good pricing, good location, and all the other essentials... They all simply recommended Hotel Derek.

It exceeded my expectations for the value that I was paying, and added to the contemporary feel I was looking for a twist of funk.. I'm extremely satisfied with my experience..

Room Tip: Take the city view on the Galleria side, or else you'll open your curtains to a gloomy brick wal...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo