Holiday Inn Express Houston-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #100 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel twice because it is very convenient in terms of location. It is currently being refurbished - this should be completed by the end of 2009/early 2010. The hotel does not have a restaurant, although breakfast is provided. What it does have is a sizeable car-park. But what has impressed me most on both stays and what will make me return again is the staff. The hotel's greatest resource.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed April 12, 2009

Came to Houston for one night to see Bruce Springsteen in concert. We stayed here at is was very close to the Toyota Center. We were very pleased with the hotel and we enjoyed the nightlife in the surrounding area like the House of Blues. The staff was very accomodating and brought us a rollaway bed at no charge. The rollaway was super comfortable. It was a humid day outside but the AC blew cold air. I thought the noise from 59 would keep me up all night, but surprisingly it didn't bother me at all. The room was clean and I enjoyed the toiletry amenities provided. I noticed I didn't have a charger for my cell phone so I asked at the front desk if they had a loaner. They brought out a box of chargers for me to look through. I thought this was nice.
I was a little bummed that I didn't bring my swimsuit, as the pool was charming with a little waterfall.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aimster77
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Stayed here one night on business. The hotel itself is fine, and in midst of a minor renovation as of early Sept 2008 (replacing carpeting in some rooms, AC units, TVs -- nothing that caused a noise disruption). Clean, staff friendly -- what you'd expect if you are a regular HI Express customer like I am.

You can't be much closer to the action -- hotel is right across the parking lot from the Toyota Center and about 2 or so blocks to the convention center. Right next to the 1-10 and 59 freeways (but no noise in rooms). About 10 mins drive to University of Houston. Plus, they have free parking -- unusual for downtown Houston hotels.

I wouldn't go walking around the area at night however, unless you are staying there for a game at Toyota -- it's deserted most nights and in an area of redevelopment, and some questionable people out roaming at night.

The one thing that I didn't like was the very high amount of tax you pay here -- there's a state tax, a city tax, and a sports authority tax. Together, this adds $25 to your bill and this is not a cheap hotel to stay at in the first place.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank hotelreviewer333
Reviewed July 11, 2008

My husband and I were in Houston for one night to see an Astros game. The location of this property is ok for getting to Minute Maid Park on foot - you have to walk a questionable path although hotel employees assured us it was safe. Because there was rain we opted to take a cab. Cab fare is $6 anywhere in downtown Houston so that was not too bad. There are very few options for dining close to the hotel and only one right near the park; however, inside the park food is abundant. The hotel itself is undergoing some renovations - there was a letter from mgmt about the changes in our room. Soon all rooms will have new mattresses and plasma TVs. I found our room to be above average with one exception. The shower curtain rod in the bathroom had obviously been repaired (to no avail) multiple times. It was annoying to shower with the curtain hanging crooked and inward.
Overall a clean place to stay.
The staff at the front desk were helpful - no overly friendly - one girl had to put down her cell phone to assist us but was helpful when we asked about getting to the park.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thequeenb615
Reviewed April 17, 2008

We were in town for an event at the Toyota Center, so the location couldn't have been more convenient. Easy walk to the facility. Also would have been a great spot if going to a game at Minute Maid Park.

What little time we did spend at the hotel was just fine. The room was clean and functioned as expected. Front desk staff seemed a bit detached, but did their jobs fine.

Breakfast was quite nice, relative to other Holiday Inn Express locations. Everything was stocked well, hot and good.

The only annoyance was the computer they have available for internet access off the main lobby. I was never able to get it to work and only saw one guest who did during our two days there.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank kcboy
Reviewed March 5, 2008

This hotel was within walking distance of the Toyota Center, which was the main aim. It was reasonably priced, and the rooms were quite nice. However, it was noisy, and I asked the front desk to intervene twice to sort out a problem with the tv. No one ever came around to check on that. If you have an event at the Toyota Center, this hotel is nice, but the overall score was only average.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank elpelso
Reviewed February 15, 2008

First, I'll say the location is great if you want to stay near the Toyota Center.

These were my problems:
- there was a roach in the room running around the bed and headboard. Front desk said they couldn't do anything - no bug spray, wouldn't move the room, etc. The manager offered to move our room the next day just as we were checking out.

-they double-charged me eventhough I was pre-paid with an online travel service. I've spent two weeks fixing that.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business