“Good Convention Center Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Houston-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #97 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed August 24, 2014

This Holiday Inn Express is laid out like most HI's, and it is convenient to the Convention Center and Toyota Center. However, the hallway decor, upgraded carpeting, and decorated rooms are a great upgrade from most...well appointed and they add to a much nicer atmosphere for this type of hotel. Breakfasts are good and rotate options daily. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Note: While it is an easy 3-4 block walk to the convention center, you do cross two blocks of vacant lots (former parking lots). You are a couple of blocks from the Hilton. While the area is safe, I would suggest a taxi back to the hotel at night after enjoying downtown activities.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MeanderingMike1

Reviewed August 11, 2014

One of the main reasons why I continue selecting this Holiday Inn location is because it's removed from any major roadways. It's location is the perfect setup for a quiet nights sleep since there is no "interstate" highway noise to deal with. The staff is very friendly as well at this location.

The room decor could use some updating, but the quality of the bedding makes up for it. I always have a comfortable nights rest at this location. The TV selection is great as well if you want to relax for awhile. If you're going to use the internet you'll be pleased to know that it's very reliable at this location. I've stayed at several other Houston hotels in which the internet would often loose connectivity. Not at this location.

The parking in "front" of the hotel is very limited. That's the main drawback in my opinion. There is additional parking on the side of the hotel with a security guard viewing from the lobby. I wish I would see the security guard walk the grounds a bit more, but I trust that he does; I just have not seen him do so.

The exterior and interior of the hotel is very clean. The bathroom has wooden floors and looks very nice. I highly recommend staying on the 4th floor if you want a quiets night stay.

If you have a smart phone use it for a convenient route to I-10. I have found accessing I-10 versus I-45 to be a bit easier from this location. Following the posted I-45 signs will take you on a longer route in my opinion versus an alternate route you may locate via your smartphone.

You also have the best of both worlds: Minute Maid Park and Toyota Center nearby. You'll end up saving a few bucks if you stay here versus at another hotel. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: My recommendation would be to stay on the fourth floor away from the elevator for a quiet nights sta...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank G U
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed for a couple nights recently and found this place to be a little bit dingy. Simply:

- The rooms were just a little rough around the edges.
- The TVs were outdated and emitted a high pitched whining noise.
- We had a malfunctioning deadbolt on our door.
- There were signs in the parking lot expressly warning people not to leave anything in their cars because of break ins.
- The police were present during the evening on both days.

You can have a perfectly adequate stay here but it is not the greatest. It will be our last time here. The staff was very, very polite, though. They were very attentive during check-in, check-out and when we had trouble with our door.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FWTx_Travelers
Ines G, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Houston-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear Guest:
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay. It is important to reconfirm that we have Flat screens LCD TV's with High Definition in all channels. Since we are in Downtown Houston is our duty to protect our guests as much as we can, so we request not to give any opportunity and that is also why we prevent any unconfortable situation with police presence. Thanks again for your valuable comments and welcome any opportunity to improve. Guest Services Manager

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

The hotel met our needs as we attended an event at the Toyota Center. I would chose them again if I'm in the area. Room was great, no need to pay more at the other nearby hotels. Front desk staff were good. Free use of business center, including printing. Free warm cookies and cold lemonade.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank rockchick
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The best things about this stay: clean room, comfy beds, cold a/c, good shower, close to GRB, free parking, friendly staff from the housekeepers to the management.

As a convention visitor, I was at the mercy of location, location, location. Therefore, this hotel exceeded my expectations! The front desk was very helpful with questions about restaurants (China Garden is an easy walk and reasonably priced, tasty food). The GRB is also an easy walk, don't let the "1/2 mile to convention center" scare you.

Breakfast was as expected. Hot and cold items available, lots of coffee available.

The A/C in the room ran all of the time, so there was no cycling off and on that can disrupt sleep.

The hotel is also very close to the Toyota Center and a reasonable walk to Minute Maid Park. Downtown Houston has come a long way toward making it friendly to be in the downtown area after dark.

I would definitely stay here again. This time was with convention friends, but I would be fine with my family here, as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TexasJulieB
Reviewed July 13, 2014

From the moment I walked in, I felt I was at home. I was promptly greeted by Rene at the front desk...He was very, very nice and knowledgeable about IHG Rewards, their programs, their offerings and even asked if I had plans for diner, he wanted to offer some suggestions...Perfect for the front desk.. For being an IHG member, I was upgraded upon request and booooy was I glad I did. I was upgraded to a suite on the 2nd floor and it was the best!! The room was sooo clean and cold (since it was hot and muggy outside)...Loved it. They even leave name cards of the cleaning staff on the bed so if you have a problem then you can tell the front desk... I stayed 2 nights and did not want the staff to have to over work for my room so I asked for them to just re-make the bed and put out fresh towels...WOW!! I can not remember her name but all of them we sooo nice and eager to assist with no questions asked. If the hotel reads this please tell the custodial staff they are awesome especially the two sisters that work in the AM on the second floor... OHHHH don't even get me started about the inside garden pool with chairs and towls all around them as well as the fresh cookies and ice cold milk sitting in the dining area...SO MANY ammenities for the guests...AWESOME!! I have been wanting to stay here for a long time and finally did and I am glad I chose this HI EXPRESS DWN TWN area.... IHG, you are doing a great job with all the hotels I stay at, constantly updating and replacing stuff...That's how you keep a customer... Hats off to this Hotel and their Staff!!

Room Tip: Lots of one way streets, have a Navigation if you can...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BigRob28
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed here for one night after spending the afternoon at the Space Centre. It is a very modern, clean and comfortable hotel. Only feedback would be the hot tub was far too hot and the pool was like a hot bath. The front desk staff were helpful printing out a map for directions to a big nearby mall. The chinese "China Garden" across the street was delicious too.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple