Holiday Inn Express Houston-Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #100 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed October 2, 2007

Wireless did not work in my room so needed an ethernet cable which they provided; NO Fridge; the 2nd floor STUNK like cig smoke because it is the floor with the most smoking rooms (and the only one with the lines to support Internet so had to take lesser of 2 evils!); AC is LOUD! THIS PLACE NEEDS AN UPGRADE!!!

Desk staff and manager are friendly and professional!

Close to Main Street: decent bars/restaurants;

RECAP: A decent place to stay.....but never again for me in Houston.....

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Tombraider74

Reviewed August 31, 2007

Stayed here one night with wife and two sons (7 and 4) to be close to Minute Maid Park. I did this a year ago with the boys and returned for this year's trip. You can't beat this place for a downtown sporting event - free parking, walking distance to Minute Maid Park or Toyota Center (felt safe walking back late from baseball game). The indoor pool is small, and it was very cold this time. The breakfast was great - well beyond typical HI Express, with scrambled eggs, sausage, and biscuits/gravy.

Room was very clean and comfortable. Internet worked well.

Had no encounters with panhandlers in the parking lot.

I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank toomuchtravel
Reviewed June 18, 2007

This place was great! The facility is near new!

The bathroom had really long gorgeous granite counter tops...lots of space for toiletries. The bed was comfy. The air conditioning worked great! The room was quiet. I never heard anyone else showering, etc.

Parking was FREE!!!

The breakfast buffet offered more then I expected. Eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, cereal, hard boiled eggs, yummy cinamon rolls. The only thing I missed were fresh Belgian waffles.

There were fresh hot chocolate chip cookies and cold milk waiting when I checked in. The staff was very helpful.

I stayed here for a convention. Others that attended the convention were equally impressed. We were super close to the convention center too.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Kimberly H
Reviewed May 13, 2007

We stayed in the holiday inn for three nights in february, and we got everything we expected, it was clean, well located (right across from the toyota centre where Christina Aguleira was performing while we were there) and the staff were incredibly helpful as is usual at a holiday inn. A really nice touch was the cookies and milk they left for everyone at reception. Breakfasts were great, and the rooms were a good size, with a spacious bathroom, (which had the best shower i have ever used) and the usual TV/movies selection was great. This inn has a heated pool (which there were some temprature peoblems with when we were there bacuase some idiot complained of it being to cold, just being fussy) and it has a small gym as well. My lasting memory of the place will be the friendly staff, who were great. (although one of them, by accident i am sure, accidentaly ordered us a limo instead of a taxi!!!) Stay here if you're in houston, amzing value for money.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Scotland_USA
Reviewed April 20, 2007

Spent a few days last week at the Holiday Inn Express Houston- Downtown- Convention Center. My employer is based in Downtown Houston and most times people visiting stay right in the downtown area at rates of $200+ a night, even with corporate discounts, plus extra for parking. Through the Holiday Inn website, I was able to get a room here for $115 a night, and the parking is free. As we are in a cost saving mode currently, I decided to hoof it and save the company some cash.

It is a little bit of a hike from where I needed to go for work on Main Street, about 3/4 of a mile or so. The days I was in town in April, it was 78 degrees on average and none of the famous Houston humidity, which made for a pleasant walk to and from work. Had I been there in the summer, not so much probably. Also, the neighborhoods you need to walk through to get to the downtown area are not the greatest, with many vacant overgrown lots. During the day, I didn't feel unsafe. According to the website it's on the "trolley shuttle route to downtown." As it was good walking weather I didn't need to explore this option but it sounds convenient. Other reviewers mentioned being hit up by panhandlers in the parking lot, this did not happen to me.

The prime attraction to this property is its proximity to Toyota Center (literally a stone's throw from the parking lot), the convention center (2 blocks away) and Minute Maid Park (I didn't measure it but I'd say it's about 1/2 mile away). Considering that you can park for free and walk to the event, if you're staying overnight in town this place is a no-brainer.

The property itself seems fairly new as of this writing. My room was clean, in excellent repair, and offered the standard Holiday Inn Express amenities, including the standard free continental breakfast. My room faced the 59 expressway, but I imagine the view of the Houston skyline from the rooms on the other side must be excellent. I was not offered my complimentary Platinum member Priority Club upgrade, but the hotel appeared to have been full on my second night which might explain it. All staff I met were polite and helpful.

I would stay here again, but I might pony up the extra cash from the expense account and stay right downtown if I have to go to Houston during the hot or rainy seasons.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank PGHTraveller
Reviewed September 7, 2006

Just went on a trip with friends in Sept. 2006 and this Holiday Inn Express is nice just like most of them are. The front desk was helpful and kind, and the rooms were nice and cool in the hot Texas weather. Nothing much to complain about except for the people who try and hit you up in the parking lot for money.
Alos, the continental breakfast, just like all of them was below average. I suppose if you can function off of a glass of pulpy orange juice and a bannana your good to go.
But again, worth the pay.

Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank dannykessel
Reviewed September 3, 2006

If you are looking for a hotel within walking distance of Minute Maid Park and/or the Convention Center, this is the one! Free parking, a continental breakfast, clean comfortable rooms (with the luxurious upgraded bedding!) and the reasonable rate cannot be beat. Oh, did I mention how friendly and accomodating the front desk personnel and breakfast attendants were? They aimed to please. We will definitely return to this hotel the next time we are in Houston to attend a ball game.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family