“Bad service, shut down pool and roaches dont get good reviews!”
Review of Frontier Hotel

Frontier Hotel
Ranked #435 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

The last straw was the roaches! Computers were down so they couldnt find our reservations and tried to re-charge us. The pool is shut down until further notice and the only bench to sit on outdoors has 3 burnt out security lights and faces a fence covered in poison ivy. The air conditioner on the first floor was out so the hallways and lobby area were hot and humid. The hotel smells toilets and sewer. The rooms looked clean until the sun went down then out came little baby roaches. I hope this keeps others from wasting money.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank fedupcustomer
There are newer reviews for Frontier Hotel

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had the privilege of coming to Houston for a week and decided to stay in this hotel. The hotel’s surrounding area wasn’t the best, but it was sufficient – no complaints. The front desk staff, for the most part, were helpful. The house-keeping was great and were willing to do anything to assist us. My ONLY problem with the hotel, which made my experience dismal, at best, was the room and accommodation.

When we got to our room and opened the door, we were met with a putrid smell. I requested to move, but the hotel was fully booked and there were no other comparable rooms available. The ONLY reason I didn’t move to another hotel was that I had already prepaid and was advised that I wouldn’t be able to get a refund based on my reservation.

Every day the housekeepers opened our door for service, they had the same look on their face; and what’s worse is that it gives the appearance that we were the reason for the smell – I am very displeased. I spent hundreds of dollars for this room and at best, only get an occasional air freshener… that is totally unacceptable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Re b
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I took a risk and stayed at this location because it had some good reviews and some so-so reviews. The location looks like it is slowly teetering from a place to stay to a place not to stay. The halls were unheated as stated, but that was okay. The light fixtures in the hall on my floor were randomly not working. The entry light to the room was not switched correctly, so you had to stumble into the room and search for a light on the desk for illumination. The wi-fi was working, but so limited that I could not upload a file and switched to my air card for reliable internet. One of the bulbs on the nightstand was not working and you had to click the button several times to get the light to come on. I should have checked the hot water the night before, it was my own fault. When I got up at 5:30 to start the day, the water in the cold tap was warmer then in the hot water tap. The hot water heater must be in an air conditioned space in the hotel. No amount of adjusting would get even warm water in the shower. Another note about the tub. The room was generally clean, but the tub was rusted from leaking water from the tap. Another minor annoyance was the facial tissue. There was a bow of facial tissue in the space normally used to dispense the tissues. There was another large bow in the box of tissues on top of the sink, I figured great usually the box is empty and I have two boxes. WRONG. The first box was covering the empty dispenser under the sink. The second bow was covering a near empty box of tissues on the counter. So in reality...just a few tissues. When I went to check out the front desk person seemed to be offended that I wanted a copy of the receipt. First he said it was slow, after initially ignoring me after I had returned the keys. Then after confirming again that I wanted a receipt he did something with the keyboard. Finally when I asked for an e-mail copy he stated he could print me one. I don't know if he did not want to give me one or just did not know how to produce it. Chances are for another $10-20 I will just stay at a different chain in the area for future visits. The price was reasonable and if you can work without Wi-Fi and reliable hot water, this location might work for you on a budget.

Room Tip: I saw no advantage to one room or floor over another. I was at the highway end of the building and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here for a week on a business trip, The first major positive was that my daily "commute" to meetings was less than 10 minutes so that was a personal plus to me. Traffic in Houston is pretty bad as a general rule but this hotel is pretty conveniently located for access to major Highways.

As far as a facility goes...

The Pros:
- Rooms were clean
- Rate was very good (I didn't pay but when I looked at my booking my company was being billed under $60 per night)
- Breakfast is as good if not slightly better than you find at similar hotels
- Internet access is free and relatively reliable

The Cons:
- Weakest shower I've ever experienced after years of travel throughout U.S. and around the World
- Neighborhood leaves a little to be desired (I'm not sure I'd feel safe walking around even if there were anything within walking distance)
- The lights in parking lot are very bright and curtains are not "blackout" curtains so at night the room was still bright enough to read
- TV stations are limited and not in HD
- The "pool" is tiny and not very well maintained but it was clean enough to use
- I would have loved if they had a hotel restaurant/bar

Bottom Line:
- I'd stay here again on a business trip as the conveniences and cleanliness far outweighed any issues I had. If I were in Houston with my family however I'd probably pay a little more for a hotel with more amenities and in a walkable neighorhood

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveler_Jeremy
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here one night and had one minor complaint (sagging shower curtain). Other than that, this establishment was worth it. As others have stated, there is no ac in the halls or corridors but hey, whose staying or sleeping in the halls. The ac in the rooms cools very good. Do I recommend this hotel, yes! The stay was great, continental breakfast was excellent, a lot of space in the room. There is to many good qualitys to mention. If I return to Houston, I will definitely be using this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank traverler55
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We spent 3 nights here and were satisfied with our stay. The a/c worked intermittently and the shower curtain rod sagged, but apart from those niggles the breakfast was good (included in the rates), and close to the freeway for shorter travel times other destinations.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Grekal
Reviewed May 18, 2012

NO A/C IN THE COMMON AREAS RUNNING PROPERLY (the corridors to the rooms are like Suanas), NO HOT WATER AT 9:30 A.M., POOL OUT OF SERVICE FOR ENTIRE WEEK FOR REPAIRS (though I was told it should only be a day or two AFTER I prepaid my room) (NO REFUNDS ON A PRE PAID ROOM FROM CHOICE HOTELS!). General clientele is a bit scary. It looks to me as if they're running a halfway house for ex convicts here. WI FI does not work in the rooms, you need to have an ethernet cable to connect to internet. Old televisions with lousy picture quality. Inexpensive? Sure, but I'd rather pay a few bucks more for comfort and piece of mind. NOT A PLEASANT STAY.

Room Tip: Just DON'T stay here. Freeway noise is CONSTANT and I was in a room nearly as far away from the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Holiday Inn Houston SW - Sugar Land Area
Comfort Suites Sugar Land
#2 of 17 in Stafford
Motel 6 Houston Medical Center - Reliant Park
Crossland Economy Studios - Houston - Northwest

Been to Frontier Hotel? Share your experiences!