“Broken promise”

Baymont Inn & Suites Houston- Sam Houston Parkway
Ranked #169 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 11, 2012

For the price I did not have a very high expectation for this hotel. When I arrived, I was told the King I reserved was not available. I had to take a double. Not a big deal, but I did ask the night staff if they could assist me with a ride 2.8 miles down the street. They said, no problem, the staff in the morning would assist me. The next morning I was told.. NO. We wont give you a ride. Somehow, I expected that.

The facility could use some attention to detail and a freshen up in the bathrooms and halls.

Below average hotel with poor customer service. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I can tell when a hotel has big plans and has made changes to improve the quality of the stay of their guests, but there is still room for improvement.

The Baymont Inn is VERY conveniently located close to the airport and to my clients, and with the travel package I had it was hard not to agree to stay here. My stay was not unpleasant, but walking down the corridors I could still .... feel/smell... that sense of an older hotel being renovated. I know the hotel is working within it's budget to look and feel contemporary and new, but still.... it's a hotel to stay in and keep your stuff, but not to lounge around in.

Room Tip: There are great online deals and packages that tie in to the Baymont, for you pennywise shoppers tra...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Stayed for one night while in Houston. Close to the highway. Enjoyed the breakfast, staff was friendly. Rooms spacious. Overall good value. Although I didn't get a chance to use the pool, they have a large atrium and indoor/outdoor pool which looked pretty neat.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Special thanks to Ashish! It is the best place with 3 star than I ever stay before!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2011

A clean, average hotel. Other reviews stated that the shuttle driver was willing to take them to a store (Walmart), this was not the case for us. Shares a parking lot with Sonic and Waffle House where we used our airline food vouchers (no restaurant at the hotel). Very clean. Friendly staff. It was fine.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised at the entry way which was very nice. When you first walk in, you look straight through to a big open area where the indoor/outdoor pool is. My daughter really enjoyed swimming in the pool. You can swim from the indoor side to the outdoor side. The sleeping room was spacious and adequate. The two beds were not the most comfortable, and the window air conditioning was not the coldest. It made for a bit of a sleepless night, but I survived it. We only paid $32 to stay. So my expectations were not real high. It was a great value for what we paid.

The breakfast was pretty weak, but it was free. The front desk staff was pretty unprofessional as well. For such a low price, I would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Ratings are subjective, and I suppose based on expectations. I would have given this place a rating of two stars were it not for my low expectations. As a $40 room for two people close to the airport, it probably deserves an average rating. If you've booked and are reading this, don't panic - it is not unlivable for one night.

The positive points:
- a large sized room
- appeared superficially clean, clean bedsheets etc
- quiet area
- adequate free breakfast
- shower is powerful and hot
- shuttle to the airport got us there free of charge and on time. It was cheaper to stay here and take the shuttle than to stay on the other side of Houston and get a taxi.
- swimming pool (though we didn't use it) looked okay

The negative points:
- dated, worn and damaged furniture, old fashioned decor
- mold in the bathroom, behind peeling paper
- carpets stained more than average
- patio doors open onto car park, didn't open them but appeared flimsy and single glazed, was a little worried security wise,
- reception staff - although reasonably friendly and helpful - very busy, one lady fielding about 7 phone calls during our check in process
- wifi was slow and incredibly sketchy - I've not had this problem in other chain motels
- don't make a big fuss on all your promotional materials about there being a wafflemaker at breakfast when there isn't going to be one. Soggy eggy bread was the closest to hot food offered. There was one member of staff trying to insinuate we were all in her way around the breakfast bar. She reprimanded me for not using her filthy (yellow goo covered) tongs for picking up the bread to make toast. I pointed this out to her and she stormed off - I wasn't intending to be rude, but they were gross.
- the safety instructions on the back of the door are on yellowing paper which has previously displayed an alternative name for the premises, over which there is correction fluid and a Baymont Inn sticker. This backs up the statement that the place is independently operated by the door. Baymont may lend its name and the reassurance of it having basic qualities of a chain hotel, but in reality it is a slightly grubby motel.

We only stayed one night, and it was adequate but I feel there is probably much nicer accommodation around for a similar price, especially if you're willing to fore go the free breakfast, free wifi or free shuttle. If I was the manager I would deep clean the place and give a little attention to a few small touches that would make it look a lot fresher - and more inviting. First impressions count, so maybe you need more than one person on the check in desk!

Average - good enough for one night, but I wouldn't want to stay any longer. If I needed to I would stay here again myself, but I would be embarrassed to recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends