“Airport hotel with useful shuttle”

Baymont Inn & Suites Houston- Sam Houston Parkway
Ranked #148 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Airport hotel with useful shuttle”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Ratings are subjective, and I suppose based on expectations. I would have given this place a rating of two stars were it not for my low expectations. As a $40 room for two people close to the airport, it probably deserves an average rating. If you've booked and are reading this, don't panic - it is not unlivable for one night.

The positive points:
- a large sized room
- appeared superficially clean, clean bedsheets etc
- quiet area
- adequate free breakfast
- shower is powerful and hot
- shuttle to the airport got us there free of charge and on time. It was cheaper to stay here and take the shuttle than to stay on the other side of Houston and get a taxi.
- swimming pool (though we didn't use it) looked okay

The negative points:
- dated, worn and damaged furniture, old fashioned decor
- mold in the bathroom, behind peeling paper
- carpets stained more than average
- patio doors open onto car park, didn't open them but appeared flimsy and single glazed, was a little worried security wise,
- reception staff - although reasonably friendly and helpful - very busy, one lady fielding about 7 phone calls during our check in process
- wifi was slow and incredibly sketchy - I've not had this problem in other chain motels
- don't make a big fuss on all your promotional materials about there being a wafflemaker at breakfast when there isn't going to be one. Soggy eggy bread was the closest to hot food offered. There was one member of staff trying to insinuate we were all in her way around the breakfast bar. She reprimanded me for not using her filthy (yellow goo covered) tongs for picking up the bread to make toast. I pointed this out to her and she stormed off - I wasn't intending to be rude, but they were gross.
- the safety instructions on the back of the door are on yellowing paper which has previously displayed an alternative name for the premises, over which there is correction fluid and a Baymont Inn sticker. This backs up the statement that the place is independently operated by the door. Baymont may lend its name and the reassurance of it having basic qualities of a chain hotel, but in reality it is a slightly grubby motel.

We only stayed one night, and it was adequate but I feel there is probably much nicer accommodation around for a similar price, especially if you're willing to fore go the free breakfast, free wifi or free shuttle. If I was the manager I would deep clean the place and give a little attention to a few small touches that would make it look a lot fresher - and more inviting. First impressions count, so maybe you need more than one person on the check in desk!

Average - good enough for one night, but I wouldn't want to stay any longer. If I needed to I would stay here again myself, but I would be embarrassed to recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
American in China
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Stayed here for two nights in mid-December while taking the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills and couldn't have asked for more. Friendly service, $59/night, great airport shuttle (featuring a driver who will also drive you to Walmart if you need something to do on a Friday night in the outskirts of Houston while waiting for a flight the next morning). The testing center is less than a five minute walk from the hotel doors, the hot continental breakfast in the morning features biscuits and gravy, make your own waffles and a variety of pastries and juices (indulged heavily in the biscuits & gravy both mornings).

Rooms are spacious and clean but show the general wear that lets you know the place was probably built before the first Bush took office. Although I didn't use it, there was a nice pool that looked clean and a fitness center.

The only issue that came up was a little bit of road noise from Sam Houston Parkway (noticeable, but didn't affect my sleep at all). Also, there isn't much nearby if you don't have access to a car... given the low cost of the hotel, I would have rented a car for a couple of days if I had been there for anything but the test.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank chinabadger
Trinidad
Reviewed September 27, 2010

The Hotel was a bit hard to find as the directions given were not correct but that was not the hotels fault. When I arrived I was greeted by Teresa and she was really sweet and pleasant. Internet and printing is free. You get a complimentary breakfast, hot and cold. There is an indoor pool which is very aesthetic. The room was clean and big, modern bathroom and hot water. Free ample parking and a 32'' Flatscreen. The room could do with a general deep steam clean but other that that I would highly recommend it. I had stayed in a downtown 3.5 star hotel the week before and it is comparable on a room to room basis. This is a great deal on Hotwire.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Our flight was late getting into Houston and we missed our Continental connecting flight. Continental gave us a "discount" voucher to call a toll free number for a hotel. They first offerred Econolodge and I thought....no....Then they offerred Baymont Inn. I went there not expecting much. I found it to be very nice for a "budget" hotel. The room was as good as a Holiday Inn. The staff was very nice and friendly. They have free aiport shuttle. The only thing that bothered me was that the room had a musty smell to it and the coffee maker did not work properly. The staff promptly replaced the coffee maker when it was brought to their attention.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
columbus
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I recently stayed here while I took my USMLE Step 2 exam. This hotel has been perfect for that. For about $50 a night, I got a safe, spaceous, clean, quiet, comfortable room that was no more than a 5 minute walk to the exam building. They also had a free shuttle from the airport and to the airport, a free continental breakfast, and even a printer available which was key as I forgot to bring my exam permit. The only drawback was that there was not much nearby in terms of restaurants or entertainment, but the hotel restaurant was serviceable.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank traveldocColumbus
Cambridge
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Paid $49/night + tax = $114 for 2 nights through the hotel website (promotional rate, stay 2 nights save $10 each night). Definitely value for money. I wan't expecting much but the front desk staff were very nice and helpful, check-in and out were swift and uneventful and the complimentary wireless internet throughout the hotel a definite plus.

Regarding the location it is in the outskirts of Houston, close to IAH airport. There isn't really very much in the area, apart from a Gas station with a McDonalds, Arby's and Popeye's chicken, but I was taking a medical licensing exam and this hotel and the Settle Inn (formerly Days Inn) Hotels are literally within walking distance.

Didn't have a car so used shuttle service. Rang the hotel when I arrived in the airport and they sent the shuttle straight away. The hotel is 7 minutes from IAH, and the shuttle goes back and forth constantly during the day. No easy way to get into central Houston (about 25 minutes away by public transport, so if you're stay here and don't have a car that would be a problem.

Regarding the room itself, the bed was comfortable, the TV worked perfectly and there were a variety of channels including free HBO. The only negative thing was a hair strand from the previous guest in my bed, a bug crawling in the roof and a small amount of dirt in the bathtub. To be fair this didn't bother me but I can see how had I been with the family this would have been an issue.

Given the housekeeping issues can be easily resolved and the price I paid, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Don't stay here if you want to use their airport shuttle service. Thanks to them I missed my airplane and had to pay a lot of money. The hotel manager never showed up, as promised, to talk to me. They kept saying they weren't responsible because the shuttle is a third party service although they advertise it as their service, after all they signed the agreement with the horrible shuttle service.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Park Inn by Radisson Houston North & Conference Center
Baymont Inn & Suites Houston Intercontinental Airport
Hyatt Regency North Houston
Hyatt Place Houston/Bush Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Houston North IAH
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Houston Intercontinental Arpt

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Houston- Sam Houston Parkway? Share your experiences!