“Not quite sure what all the great reviews are about”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston Near the Galleria
Ranked #51 of 517 Hotels in Houston
New York, NY
Reviewed May 8, 2006

This hotel looks like it was last renovated in the 80's. My colleague had no A.C. and my A.C. consistently leaked on the floor, and my toilet was broken, no offer of a room change was made to either of us. I am not a Hilton regular, so requested to register one of my airline affiliate cards to accrue miles, the receptionist insisted I enroll in Hilton Honors, I had to speak with her supervisor to ensure I was credited with the miles to the program of my choice.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston Near the Galleria

Reviewed March 23, 2006

Arrived at hotel at 9:30 p.m., been flying since 5:30 a.m.; all flights late and miserable. Had not stayed at this hotel, and wasn't expecting much; however, when I entered so late, Kim greeted me with a smile and was so pleasant that it really turned my bad travel day around. The rooms are the cleanest of any hotels I've ever been. The morning breakfasts (free) and evening knoshs were delicious. This is a well-run hotel with a staff attitude all like Kim; WONDERFUL! They make traveling a pleasure instead of a misery.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank nyintexas
Reviewed January 3, 2006

I stayed at the Embassy Suites near the Galleria in Houston for 4 nights the week before Christmas and 3 nights the week after Christmas. It is a standard Embassy Suites although not as big or with as many floors as most that I have stayed in. They charge $8 a night for self parking but it is only $4 for HHonors members (which is free to join). Either way I think this is a rip off since they have plenty of parking in a large parking lot surrounding the hotel. There is no need to charge for parking in the suburbs of Houston. Another complaint of mine concerns the internet. The hotel has wireless internet in the lobby but it doesn't reach into the suites. They have ethernet in each suite but they charge $10 per day for the high speed internet. And this is the first hotel that I have ever stayed at that CENSORED the internet! I pay $10 a night for internet and then they censor it! They also had no movies on demand and the only premium channel they offered was HBO Family. It seems that some --- own or manage this Embassy suites. Outrageous for a business class hotel!
The suites are nice, clean and quiet. The made to order breakfast is great and the manager's reception is very nice. Other than the internet and movies it is a nice place to stay for business in the area. The proximity to the Galleria is great (within walking distance) and there are many fantastic restaurants around. The only problem is that the traffic can get very heavy around the hotel since it is so close to the Galleria. I probably would find a comparable hotel in the area the next time I travel to Houston. There are plenty right around the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank madcowboy360
Reviewed December 10, 2004

This hotel is located in a very posh, upscale part of Houston. Lots of shopping and dining options everywhere. Traffic was very heavy because of a the nearby Mall (The Galleria ) and all of the dining options. The hotel is of course built on the standard Embassy format - nice front entry, marble floors at the front desk with inviting sitting areas nearby, rooms are built around a tropical themed atrium. We have stayed at 8 others and this one was the newest and the best decorated. From 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm each day they put on a managers special which consist of chips/dip or pop corn and all the beer/ wine/ soda and fine liquor you would like to drink. The only negative I found with this is that they dont offer enough to make it enticing for the kids to come down. The rooms are nicely decorated, they consist of a livingroom (with sofa bed)/dining area, a small bar/fridge area, a decent sized room with double beds ( very few available ) or king option. The only negative about the room is the small bathroom which does not have seperate access from the bedroom and the living area. The cooked to order breakfast was one of the worse we have ever eaten at an embassy suites. The cooks were not very energetic or overly friendly and they did not poccess that down home cooking skill. Overall this was a very nice hotel in which we wish we could have spent more time using its emenities ( at football game ). We will stay here from now on when coming to Houston because it is a solid value - you get what you pay for.

3  Thank ilikeitclean
Reviewed November 29, 2004

The Embassy Suites Hotel is nicely located near the Galleria, a huge upscale shopping mall in Texas.
Check-In
Check in was very smooth. Other persons, however, had to wait for the bellhop to carry up luggage.
The room was a non-smoking room on the 5th Floor. The room was quite spacious, with a couch and tv, a desk and a chair outside, with a small sink and fridge and coffee-maker, a nicely sized bathroom and a king bed with a tv inside. I forgot my toothbrush and the front desk provided another for me. The room was clean and decorated in shades of green and brown. The coffee provided in the room tasted good for packet coffee. I had asked for a wake-up call and this was not done.
I ordered room service once, for the chicken quesadilla which was pretty good. There is a free drinks happy hour from 6-7 at the bar and free popcorn and nuts, which is a nicely social touch. The made to order breakfast was also quite nice. You could get eggs, sausage, toast, cereal and muffins, fruit and yogurt.
The Galleria is within a short walking distance. This is an upscale mall offering luxury shops and other shops, and there is also an ice-rink in the mall. You can also walk to a small shopping plaza which houses a Barnes and Nobles Bookstore and Old Navy. There is also a shuttle which will take you within a 3 mile radius of the hotel and it can drop you off at the Galleria or at the drugstore etc. You have to pay for parking at the hotel though.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Fernando, CA
Reviewed October 1, 2004

I was at the hotel Sept 12-15, 2004. The training I was in town for was held in one of the conference rooms so I was in the hotel all day with an occasional walk to the many stores and galeria near by.

The made to order breakfast and chef were great. Always ready to fill your dish. The lady (Raquel) who served the daily lunch was very helpful and accomadating.

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay at the Embassy. Oh and I liked that I would wake up to a USA Today at my door.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2004

First of all, let me emphasize that my review is based on two stays one year ago, before the hotel started charging for parking. Still, I’ve stayed there twice and would like to add my comments. I traveled here while on business. The location (Galleria) is a good one for business dining options (Cheesecake factory, Maggiano’s, others). The hotel is smallish and on a fairly quiet cross street off the main exit from the highway. The hotel does not face the highway, which reduces the noise (important especially in the Embassy Suites design which has the large, open atrium that transmits sound readily). Check-in was never a problem. It’s true that the front desk personnel were not enthusiastic about anything other than the basics in general. However, one time they were helpful in taking a MS word document from my computer and printing a copy on their local printer as a favor that I appreciated. The room was fine and what was expected for Embassy Suites. Each morning, the made-to-order breakfast was excellent. The cook was especially cheerful and made a good start for the day. We rarely made it back in time for the happy hour. Evening meal choices are good in the area. There is also the Galleria shopping mall within walking distance, but it was undergoing renovation and is nothing special. A Walgreen’s is conveniently located within walking distance as well. The two swans in the lobby pond were both alive when I was a visitor. The pond was very well taken care of and cleaned by the staff. Most people staying here were business travelers. Given this mostly positive review, I’d have to say that given the price of the room (in the $180 range), that the hotel does not deliver great value.

3  Thank willbegone