“Not Your Average Hotel”

Ranked #48 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Austin,Teaxs
“Not Your Average Hotel”
Reviewed December 10, 2004

This hotel is located in a very posh, upscale part of Houston. Lots of shopping and dining options everywhere. Traffic was very heavy because of a the nearby Mall (The Galleria ) and all of the dining options. The hotel is of course built on the standard Embassy format - nice front entry, marble floors at the front desk with inviting sitting areas nearby, rooms are built around a tropical themed atrium. We have stayed at 8 others and this one was the newest and the best decorated. From 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm each day they put on a managers special which consist of chips/dip or pop corn and all the beer/ wine/ soda and fine liquor you would like to drink. The only negative I found with this is that they dont offer enough to make it enticing for the kids to come down. The rooms are nicely decorated, they consist of a livingroom (with sofa bed)/dining area, a small bar/fridge area, a decent sized room with double beds ( very few available ) or king option. The only negative about the room is the small bathroom which does not have seperate access from the bedroom and the living area. The cooked to order breakfast was one of the worse we have ever eaten at an embassy suites. The cooks were not very energetic or overly friendly and they did not poccess that down home cooking skill. Overall this was a very nice hotel in which we wish we could have spent more time using its emenities ( at football game ). We will stay here from now on when coming to Houston because it is a solid value - you get what you pay for.

3 Thank ilikeitclean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 29, 2004

The Embassy Suites Hotel is nicely located near the Galleria, a huge upscale shopping mall in Texas.
Check-In
Check in was very smooth. Other persons, however, had to wait for the bellhop to carry up luggage.
The room was a non-smoking room on the 5th Floor. The room was quite spacious, with a couch and tv, a desk and a chair outside, with a small sink and fridge and coffee-maker, a nicely sized bathroom and a king bed with a tv inside. I forgot my toothbrush and the front desk provided another for me. The room was clean and decorated in shades of green and brown. The coffee provided in the room tasted good for packet coffee. I had asked for a wake-up call and this was not done.
I ordered room service once, for the chicken quesadilla which was pretty good. There is a free drinks happy hour from 6-7 at the bar and free popcorn and nuts, which is a nicely social touch. The made to order breakfast was also quite nice. You could get eggs, sausage, toast, cereal and muffins, fruit and yogurt.
The Galleria is within a short walking distance. This is an upscale mall offering luxury shops and other shops, and there is also an ice-rink in the mall. You can also walk to a small shopping plaza which houses a Barnes and Nobles Bookstore and Old Navy. There is also a shuttle which will take you within a 3 mile radius of the hotel and it can drop you off at the Galleria or at the drugstore etc. You have to pay for parking at the hotel though.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 1, 2004

I was at the hotel Sept 12-15, 2004. The training I was in town for was held in one of the conference rooms so I was in the hotel all day with an occasional walk to the many stores and galeria near by.

The made to order breakfast and chef were great. Always ready to fill your dish. The lady (Raquel) who served the daily lunch was very helpful and accomadating.

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay at the Embassy. Oh and I liked that I would wake up to a USA Today at my door.

• Stayed September 2004, traveled on business
Chicago
Reviewed September 9, 2004

First of all, let me emphasize that my review is based on two stays one year ago, before the hotel started charging for parking. Still, I’ve stayed there twice and would like to add my comments. I traveled here while on business. The location (Galleria) is a good one for business dining options (Cheesecake factory, Maggiano’s, others). The hotel is smallish and on a fairly quiet cross street off the main exit from the highway. The hotel does not face the highway, which reduces the noise (important especially in the Embassy Suites design which has the large, open atrium that transmits sound readily). Check-in was never a problem. It’s true that the front desk personnel were not enthusiastic about anything other than the basics in general. However, one time they were helpful in taking a MS word document from my computer and printing a copy on their local printer as a favor that I appreciated. The room was fine and what was expected for Embassy Suites. Each morning, the made-to-order breakfast was excellent. The cook was especially cheerful and made a good start for the day. We rarely made it back in time for the happy hour. Evening meal choices are good in the area. There is also the Galleria shopping mall within walking distance, but it was undergoing renovation and is nothing special. A Walgreen’s is conveniently located within walking distance as well. The two swans in the lobby pond were both alive when I was a visitor. The pond was very well taken care of and cleaned by the staff. Most people staying here were business travelers. Given this mostly positive review, I’d have to say that given the price of the room (in the $180 range), that the hotel does not deliver great value.

3 Thank willbegone
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed August 8, 2004

We have stayed in many Hilton, Omni, Westin, DoubleTree, Wyndham, ect... brand hotels and really found this particular Embassy Suites to be the worst ever. I have never left a poor hotel review, this will be the first.

I had prepaid for the room in June and had done my research as far as how much parking would be ect... This particular hotel boasted free parking and free cooked to order breakfast. Upon arrival at the hotel, I was a bit dissapointed in the size of the hotel and the overall outer appearance - but I blew this off - because after all - this was a Hilton Hotel and I was sure the service and inside appearance would make up for it. It is very small though- only six stories. It looked nothing like the pictures had represented.

At check-in, the desk clerk told me that they had began to charge for parking this week, did I want to put that on my cc or cash. But I had booked and paid for this stay 2 months ago - when they boasted that parking was free? I didn't feel like arguing, as it was getting late and we were tired. We paid cash for the parking and then had to ask where the elevator was because we were given NO direction.

After we arrived in the room, we decided the kids needed a blanket. When we made this request to the front desk, we were informed that they didn't have any more blankets. We asked if they were totally booked and they informed us that they were not, but that they didn't have any blankets. We also had to ask about breakfast because we were given absolutely NO information - just a room key and the "you're all set".

We made a quick trip downstairs to get a quick snack out of the gift shop. While standing there we read that HHonors guest get a discount on the parking - that it should only be $4/night. We had already paid $8/night plus tax and were on the HHonors floor - so they were well aware that were were HHonors members. We informed the lady that was on duty at this time (not the same as when we checked in) and she said no you weren't charged $8 - only $4. She continued to argue with us about what we had paid. Fortunately, we had our cash receipt. She said that we would just have to speak to the manager tomorrow that there was nothing she could do about it.

My son then went to take a shower and fell in the tub - it was very slick and there was nothing to provide any traction in the bottom of the tub.

When we spoke to the manager the next day, to give him a heads up on the service that we had been experiencing, he seemed less than interested. He credited our parking back, and gave us the normal spill about how he was sorry about the quality of service we had recieved, but didn't even look at us when he was talking - as if it were just a routine he was performing.

I took the kids for a short swim on our second day and the pool area was cold and the pool was NOT heated.

This Embassy Suites boasts "two graceful swans in the reception area". They actually had one lone swam swimming in a very small goldfish pool. Even their menu's spoke about the "2" swans - Pa and Gram. But, there was only one swimming. So we had to watch this poor lonely swan who had obviously lost it's mate. Very depressing experience. Try explaining this one to the kids.

Nearly all the greenery was fake. All the palms you see in the pictures are all fake.

To sum it all up:
1. Poor Service (desk clerk gave no info,no blankets, arguing with us)
2. Rooms less than desirable for the price (rust beside the tub, slick tub, washclothes with hair on them)
3. Tried to charge for parking, when they had told me parking was free
4. Breakfast was pretty good as long as you don't mind standing in line and hunting for a place to sit.

Try the Omni - we had stayed at the Omni previously and it was WONDERFUL. And, if you book it online - it is much cheaper than this hotel.

Just wanted to share our experience to hopefully prevent anyone else from having the same!!!

7 Thank ReneeInTexas