“One of my Worst Hotels ever”

Courtyard Houston North
Ranked #231 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Hawkesbury Ontario
“One of my Worst Hotels ever”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This Hotel advertises as being close to the international Airport, False, it is at least a 35-45 min shuttle ride if there is no rush hour traffic. The Shuttle bus runs only each hour on the hour, that means if he just left the Airport you could have an hour and half wait like we did.
They advertise an in house restaurant, false, they have a bar near front desk that is sometimes open and serves sandwiches and donuts at a ridiculous price,
I was looking to sit in a dinning room after long day of travel and relax and enjoy a nice meal with my wife guess what the bar was closed and I went to our room and shared a cookie that my wife brought with her.
The next morning we did have a decent breakfast that the cook who tried his best to prepare and serve us as he was all alone with a dozen others waiting for breakfast, he was the only good thing the Hotel had going for them and I felt sorry for him as he kept apologizing to everyone but he was doing the very best he could.

Room Tip: Stay away .
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NORTHERNRUBICON

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The Courtyard is not a terrible place - we stayed here in between flights going down to Costa Rica (to avoid the redeye to Houston). The lobby has been renovated with the "Bistro" but it doesn't seem like the rooms have gotten the similar treatment. They weren't horrible, but not as refreshed as some of the other Courtyards I've stayed at.

The hotel was very competitively priced (compared to other IAH hotels that I've stayed at) which made it the choice. As other reviewers have stated, they aren't really close to much, so if you don't have a car, you are pretty stuck (not that many of the other local hotels are much better). Luckily, the Bistro does have decent food options so not horrible (we usually just eat at Pappadeaux's at IAH when we do this, so no big loss).

The beds were reasonably comfortable and the shuttle service was friendly and made it easy to get there and back. They are a little further away from many of the other airport hotels (at least it felt like that on the shuttle!) but still only a few minutes away from the airport.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DAL504
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2013

It's a good hotel for what it is — a competitively-priced airport hotel.

On the plus side, it's not far from IAH at all. It's convenient to the freeway, and during the daytime, the Greenspoint business district with some dining options. At night, the place becomes deserted and the hunt for food takes you into some suspect neighborhoods. There's nothing next to the hotel. There aren't even vending machines — Courtyard has adopted the "market" approach where you buy your products through the front desk.

The room was well-appointed with a flat-panel TV and free wifi (big plus in my book). There was also a microwave and fridge, but the fridge didn't work. The bathroom was fine, aside from some issues with sweeping that housekeeping needs to address. The bed was uncomfortably lumpy.

Checkin-in and out was quick and super-friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here overnighting between flights from Canada en route to Central America. Upon arriving at Houston airport, I waited about 30 minutes for the shuttle and realized I should have called. My error. I quickly discovered that there is a hospitality phone which directly connects to various hotels, but I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that the Courtyard was not listed. As I did not have a functional cell phone and no American change on hand, I could not call the hotel. So, I was obliged to take a 25$ taxi to the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel, I was agitated, but David at the front desk was very helpful. However, there were some internal communication issues as my husband arrived to meet me there a few hours later on a different flight. The front desk seemed to be completely unaware of this, despite having left these details with them. My husband was treated rather brusquely after he too had spent another $25 for a taxi because of the M.I.A. shuttle. The room was perfectly fine as was the small resto. We found the shuttle issue to be a big problem. It was fine getting us to the airport the next morning, but is unreliable and difficult to access on the way in. Be sure to message the hotel if you require a pick up, and hope that no weather gets in the way of your plans, delaying or changing your arrival. Obviously, contacting the hotel is no problem if you have a cell, but often travellers to Houston are not American and may not have a cell plan that is not exorbitant. After $50 in taxi fare to a hotel which claims to have a great shuttle, I was left unimpressed. Booked with booking.com which should have clearly indicated the concrete details about the shuttle. Also, given the many choices of accommodation in Houston, several are much closer to the airport and have regularly scheduled shuttle services. Unfortunately, for us, the math did not work out at all this time around

Stayed December 2013
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked this hotel for three rooms, during a business trip to Houston. The front desk people, especially David, were very friendly and made sure we were well taken care of. The hotel is very clean, and the rooms very clean and quiet. Good for working in your room if necessary. Only complaint was coffee in the AM was on the weak side, could have been better.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Paul L
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

It's the area I need to be at, and the price of the hotel is generally very competitive. Very clean rooms and competent staff. August is hot in Houston, and the a/c was powerful and quiet. Free parking is a plus. Thanks!

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Stephen G
Payson, AZ
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I would recommend this hotel, It was a very nice place @ a great value. Hotel shuttle was very accommodating picking us up @ the airport & taking us around town to stores & restaurants. Pool was very nice, Spa was alittle hot, but most are. Café had good food & made fresh.

Room Tip: I stayed for two different nights, the second night I got the suite, It was well worth the $$$
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family