“I would stay again”

Ranked #232 of 511 Hotels in Houston
North Carolina
“I would stay again”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The service was great and everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and the bed was decent. It is very close to the freeway so you are minutes to a connecting freeway. Breakfast is a nice touch. I'm a very picky person but I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Tiffany W
Donovan S, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your great review of the Comfort Suites Clay Road in Houston. We are happy that you found our rooms to be comfortable and clean and our complimentary breakfast to be satisfying. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Houston.

Thanks again,
Donovan Stephens, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed there for 2 nights during the New Year holiday. As expected, not many guests in the premises. In most cases, we felt we are the only guests. The front desk associate Rose is extremely helpful and friendly. This hotel provides happy hour finger snack eg buffalo wings, orange, celery, soda, etc... which is an above and beyond service for this level of hotel. The room is clean and well maintained but needs modernization. The hotel location is on Beltway 8 and about 3 miles north of I-10. This should not be a problem if toll is not a consideration. It takes about 15 mins to go to SW Houston if no traffic.

Room Tip: One tip, you can use the frontage road overpass to bypass the traffic lights on the Beltway 8 and I...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Donovan S, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review of the Comfort Suites on Clay Road in Houston. In particular, we appreciate your remarks about our customer service. As an older property we understand that we have to compete with newer, more modern hotels in the area and therefore strive to provide the best customer service possible. This includes the friendliness of our staff and the cleanliness of our guest rooms. We appreciate your time in complementing us on these things and hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to the Houston area.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is located in an ideal location right off the interstate. When I checked into the hotel the man at the front desk was exceptionally helpful. He printed off directions for me and provided a list of places to eat. The room was clean and the shower pressure in the bathroom was perfect. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Donovan S, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your excellent Trip Advisor review of the Comfort Suites on Clay Road in Houston. We are happy to hear that you found our location to be convenient and our staff to be helpful during your trip. We strive to give every guest a great experience. However, I am sorry to find that you did not enjoy our complementary breakfast. We would appreciate any feedback that you would be willing to provide on what we could have done to make the breakfast at the Comfort Suites more enjoyable for you.
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This hotel is OK for a short stay. When I arrived and got my room key, the clerk gave me someones room. I talked to the clerk who was very apologetic and assured me it was only a mistake. I had no other problems with any thing else. The beds were very comfortable and the room was clean. The price was reasonable and the staff was friendly. They have a good breakfast in the mornings. I don't drink but on Tues and Wed between 5 and 7 they give you two free beers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ki4rvg
Donovan S, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
First of all, let me say that I do apologize for the mistake during your check-in at the Comfort Suites and I am glad to hear that our desk agent was able to correct the mistake promptly. We make every attempt to ensure a smooth check-in and we will use this as a learning experience. I am happy to hear that there were no other issues beyond the check-in during your stay with us. Thank you for your compliments on our sleep accomodations and the daily breakfast. We hope that you will consider us again on your next visit to the Houston West area.

Austin, TX
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This hotel looks pretty on first appearances. The big sign outside the hotel that said it needed housekeeping staff -- was an obvious clue. It took a good while for hotel staff to appear to check us into the hotel.

This hotel is very affordable at full price for the Houston area. The trade off is that some of the rooms are dated and the housekeeping staff is too busy to detail the rooms.

The internet and parking is free and easily accessible.

There is an affordable casual TEX-MEX restaurant across a four lane road and a gas station nearby. A somewhat farther walk is a typical fast food hamburger place with gas and convenience store. There is nothing else nearby and you need a car to get around. I hope this helps you make a good decision so you are happy with your stay. I could stay in this hotel everyday and be okay with my decision. There are nicer hotels in the same area but on the other side of the highway that cost a little more but are cleaner and more modern and social status oriented.

In the end, I have to say this stay was a bit of a shock because it was very uncoordinated for a hotel of this chain. I have mercy because I want mercy but I hope they will supervise the children of the hotel staff in the future because -- that was the most scary part of my hotel stay -- worrying about the unsupervised children of the hotel staff who kept eating the breakfast leaving the guests with nothing.

I didn't report it to the management because I already saw the attitude there on a previous problem and maybe the management is also the owner.

Clearly they knew about unsupervised children of the staff and did not care. If the mother had no childcare and the hotel needed the rooms cleaned, then they let the kids play with the food and computers -- forget about the guests, right?

The guests they really care about are those who pay more during the week then leave on the weekend. The weekend guests are just a little gravy on their profits. That is basically what I was told in a nutshell by a staff member. Of course well-traveled guest already know this information but if I treated my short term customers with the same attitude, I would have no customers at all. A big chain name feeds customers to this hotel. People who only care about a bed and free food -- and a cheap price -- would love this hotel. You will feel right at home because it truly is like living at home. The male guests loved this hotel. Please read the previous reviews from other guests to get the big picture.

If you booked this hotel at a cheap price, good! You will be okay. If your stay is better than mine, tell us about it so the hotel learns that we guests have a voice. I didn't feel the situation was anyone's fault. I was learning the Houston area so of course I wanted the most benefits for the dollars spent. I have gotten better for the same price. Just be happy if your experience is better than mine and tell us about it on Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: The west side rooms face a busy highway. If you don't like the first room you get, look for ano...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Donovan S, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for you comments. I truly wish you had brought this concern to my attention as we have no knowledge of our staff bringing their children into work. I would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss this with you while you were at the hotel.

We take pride in all of our guests and appreciate all of them in the same way and I apologize if you thought our weekend guests were not important to us. We house numerous baseball, softball, and volleyball team on weekends as well leisure and corporate long term guests and I assure you they are all equally important and when a guest leaves our hotel I want that stay to be a great experience for them.
Houston
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I really liked this hotel. Clean, comfortable, friendly and good breakfast (scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, ham, egg rolls, hash browns, oatmeal, yogurt, bagels with cream cheese, toast, two flavors of pancakes, etc.). Well lit and spacious rooms. Sleeper sofa too. I did find a dead cricket and a small dead cockroach in the room, but at least they were already dead (pesticide working?). Good location with 5 min walk to sonic, taco cabana and McDonald's. not crowded at all.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank luvtotravel2006
Donovan S, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and loved the breakfast. We definitely try to exceed all of our guests expections and it appears we did! Thanks so much for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It was a large room with a king bed and a sofa. Great wifi but room was a little musty and very dated. The price was good though. I guess you often get what you pay for!

When we arrived there was no one at the desk. Took a lady about 5minutes to arrive and get us checked in. Breakfast was included but quite simple and ran out of eggs early.

• Stayed December 2012