“Good but frustrating”

HYATT house Houston/Galleria
Ranked #33 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for a wedding I was in around the Houston area; the staff was very friendly and everything was nice, however we did have a few miscommunication issues. I was sharing a room with multiple other people and we planned on splitting the bill at the end of the stay; I do work in hotels, so I was aware that upon check in they would want to authorize my credit card for the remaining amount, however we asked that they put cash on the account and authorize the remaining (so my credit card was not maxed out during my trip). Obviously something got lost in translation because my card got authorized the full amount anyway. The staff was very apologetic, however it didn't change the fact that I had a maxed out CC during my stay which made it frustrating

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Summitcolorado88
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for staying with us last October. We do apologize for the issue you had with over authorization of your credit card. We can split payment when multiple guests are staying in a room but we do require either full cash payment or a full authorization of a credit card upon arrival. The authorizations at our location are system generated and based on the length of stay, rate, taxes and incidentals.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

June 29th, 2013 was the date of my stay at this wonderful hotel. You are notified before arrival that there will be a fee for parking. So at first I was a little skeptical about that until I arrived and found that the hotel had it's own parking garage!! So that made me feel even more secure that my vehicle was safely locked away behind gates.
This place was amazing and I just cannot say that enough!! The location is quiet while being withing a few blocks of walking distance to the ever popular Galleria Mall. The room was spotless and beyond convienent with the fully equipped kitchen. Breakfast was beyond healthy as well as delicious and oh did I mention FREE haha yes completely complimentary.
The only mishap that I had was that I was told I could use the swimming pool and BBQ area whenever I pleased, even though the area closed at 10pm, I was told that as long as I kept the volume level down not disturbing the other hotel guests then I would be okay. Well I found out later that night that was totally untrue. The doors to the outside pool and grill area must be set to a timer because the time allotted for this area is from 10am until 10pm; anytime other than that, your room key will NOT open those doors! At this point I was distraught that I would not be able to grill the t-bone porterhouse steaks, corn on the cob, and lobster tails that I had promised my fiancé for this vacation weekend since I would have to check out the next day. Hyatt House is my absolute favorite hotel but I was prepared to write the longest letter of disappointment to the corporate office BUT someone stepped in and saved the day; Mr. Omar at the front desk. This young man apologized sincerely even though this situation had absolutely nothing to do with him since he did not work the previous night shift. The next day when I spoke with him about what happened, he made sure the grill was cleaned, spatulas and tongs were provided, and most importantly he extended our checkout time to 2pm. This young man was truly a life saver and I hope his management team gets to read this because I as well as my fiancé greatly appreciated the meal that I grilled up!!
Thank you Omar!
Thank you Hyatt House!
I plan to stay at this hotel chain any time that I travel to the Houston area!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for a great review! We do apologize that you were provided with incorrect information upon your arrive. We have recognized Omar and appreciate you letting us know how he was able to turn the situation around for you. We hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I can't say enough about this great hotel. Room was clean and perfect with full size kitchen, sumptuous cooked breakfast buffet, and secluded pool and whirlpool were enough to say I'd go again. But the staff were over the top marvelous. I travel a lot and have never felt like I was being treated like family before. Overly attentive, friendly staff found out it was our 34th anniversary and placed a bottle of wine in our room with some cookies and an anniversary card that was signed by all the staff. Pretty awesome! Hyatt needs to commend this management team on the outstanding job they are doing!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you for the 5 star review. We are very happy to hear you had a great stay with us. We hope you had a fabulous 34th wedding anniversary.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We normally stay at the Embassy Suites next to the Galleria when visiting Houston, but since I lost my Hilton Gold status, we decided to give Hyatt house a try. We loved the full kitchen and full size refrigerator giving us ample storage space to store leftovers and make ice in the freezer to pack for the drive home. Being able to hit a grocery store from some fresh fruits and veggies, then come back to the hotel and wash them and eat them out of real bowls and plates with flatware is a type of comfort we normally forgo when staying at higher end hotels.

The wireless internet was fast in my room (on the fourth floor). Normally, the internet at other hotels is slow enough that I give up and switch to using 4G with a personal WiFi hotspot for our other devices, but I did not need to do that here.

We were in a 1 BR king suite which had a spacious outer room and small (because of the size of the bed) bedroom. The bathroom had one sink and was separated by a door from the toilet and shower/tub. Water pressure was insanely good, but hot water could take several minutes to arrive. In the future, we plan on returning, but will probably opt for a regular suite with queen beds as that room appears to have a little more space and an additional bathroom sink (we will be travelling with an infant and portable crib in the future).

Service was friendly and courteous. One morning, my pregnant wife was craving milk and I went down to the mini-mart behind the reservations area to see if I could buy one. They did not have milk, but when asked they went to see if there was any left from breakfast service (which had already ended). They provided us with a cup full of 2% milk free of charge.

Although, intending to, we did not get a chance to use the pool. The pool is in the middle of the courtyard and during our May stay would become shaded around 5pm. (This can be important for those sensitive to the hot Texas sun.) I believe pool hours are mid-morning to sometime around 10pm.

I ate breakfast one morning and found the breakfast service adequate. Although it was a weekend day, there was no made to order station, but there were scrambled eggs, country potatoes, and sausage on the hot bar as well as an assortment of juice, milk, coffee, sodas, cereal, and pastries. I believe breakfast ends at 10am on weekends and 9am on weekdays. There is also a reception with food (looks like a hot entree and a soup like gumbo or tortilla soup) in the late afternoon from Monday through Thursday.

The major downside was the noise of the air conditioning unit. It seemed that part of the AC was under the TV in the bedroom which is about 2 ft from the foot of the bed. When it kicked in while we slept, it woke us up... every time it kicked in... about once an hour to keep the room at 75F.

Room Tip: Families might want to call to check availability of one of the two available 2 BR suites on the fou...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mhchu
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate the information you provided about our hotel. We do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great for an extended stay. Clean rooms, nice breakfast and a very friendly staff. The room was very big, beds were nice and it had a large closet for storage. Location was convenient, but close to highway which was the only draw back. Pool was small, but clean.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for providing a 5 star review. We appreciate you taking time to provide us feedback about your stay.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The positive: The rooms are very well laid and are very spacious. I liked having the larger space and found it all very comfortable.

The negative: There seemed to be a lot of people that were staying here as an extended stay place. The laundry room was busy and the snack store was also very busy. I think many of these folks knew each other as there seemed to be action in the hallway all night long (and late). I thought the walls were very thin and it felt like I was hearing everyone else's conversations.

There was also only one person at the front desk. This meant she handled the change for the laundry machines, transactions for the snacks, and checking me in. It took a REALLY long time to get checked in.

I like Hyatt, and I loved the room, but I don't think I will do a Hyatt House again for business where all I'm really looking for is a nice quiet place to sleep.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to post a review. We apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. Your comments will be reviewed by the management team in an effort to improve our customer service. If you are back in the Houston area we do hope we can have a second chance.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last month for 3 nights and when I say the overall experience was awful, I truly mean it. For paying $100/night PLUS $12/night to park (which is absolutely ridiculous to have to pay that for parking), I expected MUCH better service. Where to begin...
Less than 5 hours after I checked in, I went out to my car because I had to pick up my boyfriend from a late flight into town (it was about 11:15 P.M.), only to find that my car window had been busted into. Why should this have happened when I'm paying $40 for parking during my stay in a "safe entry-key garage only?" Sure, you can only get into the garage with a room key - unless you walk in - but that is not enough. If you are going to make your guests pay that much for just parking, you should have a cop or employee routinely monitoring the small parking garage or at least have cameras. The hotel did not have any of these simple solutions. When I went inside to tell the front desk what had happened and see if they could at least have a maintenance employee come out and help me clean the glass so no other cars would drive over it, all I was handed was a plastic bag to put the glass in - REALLY? Great customer service.
The next day, in the small kitchenette, there were ants and a cockroach just hanging out; lovely.
The day after that, while blow drying my hair, the dryer blew out. No big deal, I know that happens all the time, but when I went downstairs to ask for a new one I came across another helpful employee. "Sure, I'll have someone bring one up in less than a minute." "If it's less than a minute, I can just wait, it's not a big deal." "No worries we will have someone send it right up." ...45 minutes later...I finally received the new blow dryer (and my hair was already funkily dry by then).
The pool wasn't working that weekend but I wasn't warned that upon check-in.
Oh, and they won't tell you this upon check-in either, but THEY CHARGE the card you put on file in case of incidentals, so be careful. I logged into my bank account while I was at the hotel just to see that they charged me $50 without telling me why. I walked down to the front desk to ask why, as we had not done any damage to the room, and they blew it off as if every other hotel does that (which they don't) and that I'll be refunded my $50 "within a week."

The only positive things I have to say about this hotel are the layout of the rooms and the location. Other than that, it was a horrible experience (mostly with customer service), and next time I stay at a hotel for that price, you can guarantee it'll be somewhere different.

-Jennifer

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your entire stay. The General Manager would like to speak with you more about the issues you described. It is our policy to make sure every guest has an enjoyable stay and we would like to have an opportunity to speak with you further. Please call the hotel directly at 713-629-9711 and ask for Rene Vasquez.