“I don't like being harsh - but it was AWFUL”

HYATT house Houston/Galleria
Ranked #28 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last month for 3 nights and when I say the overall experience was awful, I truly mean it. For paying $100/night PLUS $12/night to park (which is absolutely ridiculous to have to pay that for parking), I expected MUCH better service. Where to begin...
Less than 5 hours after I checked in, I went out to my car because I had to pick up my boyfriend from a late flight into town (it was about 11:15 P.M.), only to find that my car window had been busted into. Why should this have happened when I'm paying $40 for parking during my stay in a "safe entry-key garage only?" Sure, you can only get into the garage with a room key - unless you walk in - but that is not enough. If you are going to make your guests pay that much for just parking, you should have a cop or employee routinely monitoring the small parking garage or at least have cameras. The hotel did not have any of these simple solutions. When I went inside to tell the front desk what had happened and see if they could at least have a maintenance employee come out and help me clean the glass so no other cars would drive over it, all I was handed was a plastic bag to put the glass in - REALLY? Great customer service.
The next day, in the small kitchenette, there were ants and a cockroach just hanging out; lovely.
The day after that, while blow drying my hair, the dryer blew out. No big deal, I know that happens all the time, but when I went downstairs to ask for a new one I came across another helpful employee. "Sure, I'll have someone bring one up in less than a minute." "If it's less than a minute, I can just wait, it's not a big deal." "No worries we will have someone send it right up." ...45 minutes later...I finally received the new blow dryer (and my hair was already funkily dry by then).
The pool wasn't working that weekend but I wasn't warned that upon check-in.
Oh, and they won't tell you this upon check-in either, but THEY CHARGE the card you put on file in case of incidentals, so be careful. I logged into my bank account while I was at the hotel just to see that they charged me $50 without telling me why. I walked down to the front desk to ask why, as we had not done any damage to the room, and they blew it off as if every other hotel does that (which they don't) and that I'll be refunded my $50 "within a week."

The only positive things I have to say about this hotel are the layout of the rooms and the location. Other than that, it was a horrible experience (mostly with customer service), and next time I stay at a hotel for that price, you can guarantee it'll be somewhere different.

-Jennifer

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your entire stay. The General Manager would like to speak with you more about the issues you described. It is our policy to make sure every guest has an enjoyable stay and we would like to have an opportunity to speak with you further. Please call the hotel directly at 713-629-9711 and ask for Rene Vasquez.

There are newer reviews for HYATT house Houston/Galleria

Reviewed May 8, 2013

the room has wonderful size, for long stays, with kitchenette fantastic,
Nice complimentary breakfast, poor but nice, BUT THE COLD POOL AND THE JACUZZI OUT OF SERVICE WAS TERRIBLE, PLEASE IS A FAMILY HOTEL !!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: When i reserved, i allways make sure that the hotel has pool, because of the kids the pool was ver...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We do apologize that the Jacuzzi was out of service during your stay.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was truly amazed at the excellent customer service received during our recent trip to Houston. The front desk staff knew us by name and were friendly and helpful. The housekeeping staff smiled and greeted us every time we saw them. It was just a great experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for providing a great review. We hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Houston.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was on business in Houston, and chose this one for its location. There are many competing hotels nearby. Hyatt House tries to be a bit more like your house, and they have breakfast and a happy hour. This was a good choice for a week+. Staff very friendly and helpful. Internet very good all over the hotel, which is a plus for me.

Room Tip: rooms on back probably are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We hope if you are back in the area you will stay with Hyatt House again.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We had a really nice stay at this Hyatt for one evening in a two bedroom suite with friends. We really enjoyed having a large kitchen and living room area - and separate rooms and bathrooms for us and our friends.

The living area was very spacious with a nice comfortable sectional couch. The kitchen was also spacious. The only thing we found amiss in the kitchen was that one of the knives we pulled out to use to cut a cake was incredibly dirty and I had to wash it. The beds were really comfortable with good pillows. The bathrooms were generally pretty clean and the shower was absolutely fantastic! Best shower I've probably ever taken in a hotel. Hot water, great pressure... yep!

Our floor's hallways had an odd mixture of smells to it - sometimes smelling like Hi-Liter markers, and sometimes smelling musty. Our room had no smells whatsoever, though.

The breakfast bar was actually pretty nice, although I did not eat there. I simply went down to get coffee. The coffee was actually really good.

Checking in and out was pretty smooth, and in addition, we went downstairs and asked the front desk if they had any playing cards and they did which was an excellent touch and provided for a great gaming evening up in our room with friends.

All in all, this was a great stay and it is in a nice area. We payed roughly $250 including taxes for our two room suite which was an exceptional price for the area. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank A M
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize for the issue with the dirty knife as that is not standard and will be address with the housekeeping department. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is my second stint here and the stay has been excellent both times. Staff goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful, it is mostly very quiet, and it is in an extremely convenient location. There is a contingent of telecom employees here almost all of the time so no worries about kids running up and down hallways. Breakfast is limited but nice (my cardiologist won't be thrilled with the bottomless trough of bacon but I don't have a problem with it), and although I don't hit the happy hour very often it is a nice perk. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor. No tapdances from the floor above at night.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Michael A
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Michael A –

Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We look forward to your next visit to Houston!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this Hyatt as a business traveler to the area. If I were a leisure traveler, and the price was right, I would consider staying here again, but this is certainly not a "full service" business hotel - my bad, for not spending enough time on research.

The rooms have kitchens, which are a plus if you want to cook for yourself. The rooms, beds, and bathrooms are adequate, but not special by any means. The free breakfast was OK, but nothing great - eggs, cereal, fruit, coffee, etc. - decor was sort of a cafeteria atmosphere.

Parking is self-park. The door/lock to the hotel in the garage was broken, which was a slight concern. After 9 or 10 pm, there was only a single person on staff at the front desk. For some reason, the swimming pool did not open until late morning, which isn't great if you want to take an early morning swim before work.

The staff was pleasant and helpful. I had a package arrive for me during the day, and the staff called me immediately to alert me that it had arrived. Toothbrushes and toothpaste were available for free at the desk.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you letting us know how we can improve.

You are correct in the fact that we are not a full service property. We are a limited service extended stay location. Most of our guests are with us for 30 days or more.

I will touch base with our operations team to ensure all garage door locks are working properly. The safety of our guests is our top priority.